Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

THE GRID AUTOSPORT INITIAL IMPRESSION THREAD

CaptainJackCaptainJack Member Wheel Nut
When Grid 2 was launched most of us willed it to be good because we had waited so long since Grid 1 . . . but it failed to excite as it had little or nothing in common with Grid 1.

When Grid Autosport was launched we dare not have expectations, but it seems we have a worthy successor to Grid 1, albeit with Toca 3 type handling, but Toca 3 was a brilliant racer.

In all racers there are 2 tricks I use to ascertain my satisfaction with the driving physics: using foot brake and accelerator to take a tight corner smoothly, and to tickle the handbrake on a tighter corner . . . in both situations remaining in complete control of the car, and Autosport delivers both to perfection, and as a bonus sliding loses time, but what the hell, we can now do what we like with a car . .it goes where we want it to.

Brands Hatch is a dream drive, no more gambling on the quirky corners like in Grid 2 but spot on, smooth as you like, sailing around them . . in fact with a bit of practice it can be pedal to the metal for most of the track.

We got this game knowing exactly what we were supposed to be getting, and that is exactly what we have got . .no surprises, it's all in the box.

Also, I like the return to traditional style career screens and routines, and the practice and qualifying is perfect for a rounded experience.
The gfx are of the quality we always expect from CM, and the engine audio is sweet music to the ear.

I have also paid the £22+ for the season pass, this is more in line with buying the premium product like in BF3 and 4 than the "dlc on launch" complaints of Grid 2.

There has to be some shortcomings popping up at some point but as a first impression, and in such a short time frame to produce the game, I have to say that Loore and Codemasters have finally delivered . . . so well done to them . .more tea, Vicar ?
~O)
Post edited by CaptainJack on

Comments

• GunDriverGunDriver Member New Car Smell
    edited June 2014
    Well I wish I could say that I am impressed. I was excited when the game was announced because I have not yet made the investment for an Xbox One and was really Jonesing for some Forza 5. I didn't expect Grid Autosport to have all of the adjust-ability of the Forza games but I was expecting alot more than I got! Especially considering the fact that the game had Open Wheel Racing. I assumed that with all of the adjust-ability of the Formula One games, that Open Wheel would be similar. Boy was I wrong!

The game thus far has been underwhelming and I am extremely let down by it. There is very little to adjust on the cars. Especially in the lower classes. The controls heavily favor controllers. I literally had to put my steering wheel away and use an Xbox controller to get around. What makes it worse is that there are absolutely no adjustments for the controllers, so there is no way to take the dead zones out of the steering wheels, so they are essentially useless.  For those of us that use the Drivers line as a learning tool, the Drivers line is nearly impossible to see on most of the tracks. Adjusting the Gamma helps a little but go to a street course and you're screwed.

I honestly do not like the ranking system either. It is almost as if the developers are punishing the players for using assists. I am sorry but it shouldn't take 6 races to get from level one to level two.  I still have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that you can purchase upgrades for your cars and create your own liveries. I saw it said somewhere that you could but I have yet to see it and I have turned the game upside down looking for it.

Honestly, this is one game that will end up getting traded back in, in a couple days. Codemasters dropped the ball if you asked me.
  • CaptainJackCaptainJack Member Wheel Nut
    A lot of guys on our site use wheels and not one has complained about settings . . .if something hadn't been possible we would soon have heard about it . . .
    edited June 2014
    Loore - can you move this thread to "General" please . .I've put it in the wrong place . .
    ~O)
    Post edited by CaptainJack on
    Doing the SP Touring Cars I thought it nice to see tracks from Grid 2. Then on a track where I hadn't noted which one I suddenly thought, "this is very familiar", all the years since Grid 1 and I recognized the whole layout of Istanbul . . .this just gets better.

I have heard some complaints about cars still sliding too much in DD and maybe some other disciplines but I bought this game for Touring first, and Touring is fine so can live with any minor problems elsewhere . . .
  • gloomgloom Member New Car Smell
    ive had no issues using a g27 on the ps3 with the game. controls like a dream without having to adjust anything. i did lower some of the ffb though. i did get alot of enjoyment out of grid 2 for what it was but the handling in this one is so much better.
    Thanks, Loore, good buddy . . 
    ~O)
  • RapsterRapster Member Wheel Nut
    As Ronald would say, "I'm lovin' it!".
  • joepineapplesjoepineapples Member Pit Crew
    Wheel feedback (DFGT) is normally one of my strongest likes with Codemasters games, but I have to say this is one area I am disappointed the most with, in Autosport.  Very little feedback, and I mostly 'hear' the car losing traction rather than feel it.  I fired up Dirt 3 on a tarmac course around Monaco and that feels just so much more alive through the same wheel.  Not a fan of having to fiddle with settings to the nth degree to try and get it better, and have never had to previously (except reducing dead zones to zero).

support your pc - buy the game
  • BigamoBigamo Member New Car Smell
    My first impressions after 2 days playing are:

LOVED THE GAME,

And trully hated the traction control System. :(  And to be honest i really miss the "true feel system" already, i always liked it a lot (played a lot of Grid2 and always prefered it to Grid1). 

So my impressions are, lovelly game, fun model (still would prefer grid 2 model with less rear bias), amazing graphics, but traction system online kind of ruins the experience. :( 
  • luckyluke726luckyluke726 Member New Car Smell
    Overall I like it, they got the basics right, but I gotta say it does feel a bit low effort for the price. Content and graphics feel recycled, and I don't think the online structure is much of a step forward.
  • EvilsmurfEvilsmurf Member Race Engineer

Having a blast :D

Thanks CM's

Twitch: twitch.tv/evilsmurf76

Twitter: Evilsmurf76

Steam: Evilsmurf

PSN: evilsmurf1976

Overall I like it, they got the basics right, but I gotta say it does feel a bit low effort for the price. Content and graphics feel recycled, and I don't think the online structure is much of a step forward.
    They listened to the old gridders. We wanted recycled for Grid not forever getting ridiculous kiddy gimmicks.
    The game is a perfect step backward in the right direction . . . and let's be patient, my good buddy, Loore, will deliver the goods, it just takes a little time . .
    ~O) ~O)
  • MickdoohanMickdoohan Member New Car Smell
    This game ishouldve been grid 2.
    The touring gameplay is a great blend and feels right on the Xbox controller.
    Also already the standard of online has risen, in repeated passing and corner to corner moves and respectful defending.
    After 5+ hrs I'm already enjoying this far more then grid 2
  • flowaangelzflowaangelz Member Wheel Nut

After couple of MP races I can say I like what I see. Handling allows to have door 2 door racing.

Wonder why every playlist I joined was time trial only? Had to create custom one to actually race.

After couple of MP races I can say I like what I see. Handling allows to have door 2 door racing.

Wonder why every playlist I joined was time trial only? Had to create custom one to actually race.

It wouldn't have been Time Trial, due to technical problems TT isn't in the game yet and will come in a free patch a little later . .
    ~O)
  • flowaangelzflowaangelz Member Wheel Nut

MP---Playlist---Touring----time trial or time attack it was called. Or maybe it was just coincidence that every playlist i joined had time attack. (i tried 3 of them).

Nevertheless, the game has all tools to recreate Grid1's magic and after few tweakings we could have 2008-2010 again :)

• VorrtzVorrtz Member New Car Smell
    edited June 2014

Alright folks,
    so I got as one of the awards in DRC Championship GRID Autosport. I spent around 2h yesterday playing it in multi. Well, let's start from good things:
    - I like the fact I can buy cars and earn money and that there is calculation of costs after the race. Really great idea because the most problematic thing is that there are people who want to crash. This kind of punishment is well over thought.
    - I noticed that I wanted to do one run and then again and again so there is a kind of magic keeeping you from leaving the game.
    -graphics are alright but nothing above it
    - good that there are penalties for going out of track
    Now minuses:
    -Graphics in arcade game (GRID) is worse than in a sim (Project CARS). Something is not alright there.
    Despite the fact that pCARS requires lot of calculation going on in the background for complicated tire model, tire wear, tire heating etc. it also provides stunning graphics. Usually arcade games have better graphics because they haven't complexed physics like that that demand lot of process. GRID is not a sim so there are no complicated calculations going in the bacgkround so I'd expect that this room left they are going to use for making awesome graphics, better then in pCARS. And graphics is not only not better, it's not even equal, it's worse. Still it's not bad but it shouldn't be like that.
    - driving with wheel is strange. I'm using default settings btw. I feel like I should rather drive with gamepad or keyboard because driving with wheel is not easy. It should be accurate and give me lot of precision but instead it makes my life harder so it's other way around than it should be. Also, quite often I'm losing rear without any apparent reason. There is no feedback from game, just it happens out a blue.
    Saying that I'm going to play in GRID Autosport from time to time but not all the time :)

• BigamoBigamo Member New Car Smell
    Wheel feedback (DFGT) is normally one of my strongest likes with Codemasters games, but I have to say this is one area I am disappointed the most with, in Autosport.  Very little feedback, and I mostly 'hear' the car losing traction rather than feel it.  I fired up Dirt 3 on a tarmac course around Monaco and that feels just so much more alive through the same wheel.  Not a fan of having to fiddle with settings to the nth degree to try and get it better, and have never had to previously (except reducing dead zones to zero).
    Same here, using DFGT too and i too got a bit disapointed in that exact area, on grid 2 with the DFGT the feedback was perfect, now  i really feel very little when the car begin to slide. 

But overall the game is a blast just need to get rid of those terrible playbacks on online play. 
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion

It wouldn't have been Time Trial, due to technical problems TT isn't in the game yet and will come in a free patch a little later . .
    ~O)
    yeah I agree been enjoying the touring cars myself now that I have my copy.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• MaXKiLLzMaXKiLLz Member New Car Smell
    Vorrtz, I totally agree with you about the wheel not feeling right.  I've given up using my G27 and gone back to an Xbox 360 gamepad.  My G27 offers precise steering with sims such as Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car and iRacing, but this game just feels sloppy with the G27.  Especially when exiting a turn and trying to get the car straight again.  The driving physics slosh back and forth until it eventually finds center.  A game pad with Traction Control & ABS enabled makes for a better experience in Autosport.