Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Why is my last name offensive

on f1 2016 and now f1 2017 when I go to enter my last name (which is shores) into the driver name screen, it says name “denied as this name may cause offence”, I have typed my name into to various search engines but it fails to bring back any form of offensives translations.

Answers

• FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Yeah, that's known to be overzealous with banning certain things.

S HORES
    SHO RES

Can't think of anything actually offensive. Post in Technical Assistance and @F1Support should be able to figure out why or provide a workaround.
    Probably along the lines of "Use a different name" if they can't edit the acceptable names list I guess. 
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • TAKIINOUETAKIINOUE Member Pit Crew
    This annoys me too. If I pay for a game I do not expect to be censored, neither do I appreciate it. They even censor what names you can call your setups. Why? Who is being protected exactly? It's not like anyone else is going to see the names I choose.
  • lolschrauberlolschrauber Member Race Engineer
    Sorry, but do people even see those kind of names? It's just for offline play, right?

And does it even censor/block actual multiplayer tags? I don't know, but I don't think it does.

That's just completely dumb game design.
    Does your life have a TV-Cam? No, it doesn't.
  • SgtKubicaSgtKubica Member Wheel Nut
    My last name is Vashite and it doesn't let me either.

VA - **** - E

Very sad...
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Wheel Nut
    Some online games I play for mobile censor even words in English that are fine but swear words or close to swear words in other languages lol! Can make a simple sentence look really dodgy..
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • RhinoCharging00RhinoCharging00 Member Co-Driver
    Presumably it looks for groups of letters common in expletives, offensive names etc...but as usual with this type of thing it is over zealous and erratic. 
  • ale85bgale85bg Member Unleaded
    edited January 2
    on f1 2016 and now f1 2017 when I go to enter my last name (which is shores) into the driver name screen, it says name “denied as this name may cause offence”, I have typed my name into to various search engines but it fails to bring back any form of offensives translations.
    I believe it's because you have 'ho' in the surname... Yeah, they're overzealous at times (and it's not only Codies).
    I play also FIFA on a regular basis, I wanted to create a player named Soshito Nakakata (which is a common joke in Italian which roughly translates into I'm very ugly) as my ProClub player, yet they wouldn't let me do so (you see why though, there's '****' in the name so... Yeah, it looks like they all use the "better safe than sorry" approach.
  • carpacarpa Member Petrol Head
    ale85bg said:
    I believe it's because you have 'ho' in the surname... Yeah, they're overzealous at times (and it's not only Codies).
    I play also FIFA on a regular basis, I wanted to create a player named Soshito Nakakata (which is a common joke in Italian which roughly translates into I'm very ugly) as my ProClub player, yet they wouldn't let me do so (you see why though, there's '****' in the name so... Yeah, it looks like they all use the "better safe than sorry" approach.
    VERY roughly translates ;)
    It reminds me how I had no problems with DiRT 4 to call my new player Eubriaca yesterday night. I assume you're italian so you can try that in FIFA :D
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • ale85bgale85bg Member Unleaded
    Yeah, I am Italian... That's why my character from F1 2010 onwards has always been called Guido Piano. :p
  • carpacarpa Member Petrol Head
    ale85bg said:
    Yeah, I am Italian... That's why my character from F1 2010 onwards has always been called Guido Piano. :p
    I'm Italian too... great name for your character!
    My usual DiRT character is called Sfasho Mäkinen instead :D son of the great Tommi
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve