Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 1

Comments

• BritpointBritpoint Member, Codemasters Codemasters Employee
    789ifyz said:
    @Britpoint I've started watching Nozaki-kun (pt of 1st episode). pretty funny so far.
    Nice! I'm also re-watching it at the moment as I needed something to cheer me up. By ep 4 you'll have met most of the characters. They're all very strange.

As for the other thing... do you have any specific examples? I don't want to draw any premature conclusions until I know what you're laughing at XD
    Game Designer at Codemasters. Opinions expressed are my own.
  • 789ifyz789ifyz Member Co-Driver
    Britpoint said:
    789ifyz said:
    @Britpoint I've started watching Nozaki-kun (pt of 1st episode). pretty funny so far.
    Nice! I'm also re-watching it at the moment as I needed something to cheer me up. By ep 4 you'll have met most of the characters. They're all very strange.

As for the other thing... do you have any specific examples? I don't want to draw any premature conclusions until I know what you're laughing at XD
    @Britpoint there are loads of examples. It's basically whenever anyone starts crying or wailing and no speech interrupts said crying/wailing. If it's supposed to be comical, i laugh straight away. when it's supposed to be emotional, i only laugh if it hasn't been interrupted or stopped asfter the first few seconds.

specific examples: i don't really remember examples and such. the most recent time this happened was after one of May Chang's flashbacks (i think) when she started crying lots.
    Initially, i was laughing when Winry cried, but after a while, her crying just got annoying...
    I think I laughed when Yuuki was crying just before she "died" in the first half of SAO.

if they talk or start having a really sad flashback with speech in it then I start getting all emotional again. I didn't laugh during Itachi flashbacks/teary scenes, nor did i laugh during any of the Angel Beats backstories, or when Vegeta started crying, but most the One Piece backstories and teary scenes made me laugh for some reason. And then the last one got boring, so  i stopped watching it.

I think that's as much detail as I'm capable of giving. Is it enough? or is it too much?
    Youtube: 789ifyz         Steam: Ultament Gamr

Specs:
    Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
    GFX Card: MSi Twin Frozr nVidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB
    CPU: Quad Core Intel i5 7500 @3.4GHZ
    RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2133MHZ
    Motherboard: MSi B250I Gaming Pro AC
    PSU: Corsair CX550M
    @Britpoint Fin'd the entire first episode just now of Nozaki-kun. Apparently it's suppposed to be for girls? I don't really care, I'm still watching it.
    Good first episode. I don't think it's 'the best' anime, but it's still too early to really decide that.

Specs:
    789ifyz said:
    Britpoint said:
    789ifyz said:

@Britpoint there are loads of examples. It's basically whenever anyone starts crying or wailing and no speech interrupts said crying/wailing. If it's supposed to be comical, i laugh straight away. when it's supposed to be emotional, i only laugh if it hasn't been interrupted or stopped asfter the first few seconds.

specific examples: i don't really remember examples and such. the most recent time this happened was after one of May Chang's flashbacks (i think) when she started crying lots.
    Initially, i was laughing when Winry cried, but after a while, her crying just got annoying...
    I think I laughed when Yuuki was crying just before she "died" in the first half of SAO.

if they talk or start having a really sad flashback with speech in it then I start getting all emotional again. I didn't laugh during Itachi flashbacks/teary scenes, nor did i laugh during any of the Angel Beats backstories, or when Vegeta started crying, but most the One Piece backstories and teary scenes made me laugh for some reason. And then the last one got boring, so  i stopped watching it.

I think that's as much detail as I'm capable of giving. Is it enough? or is it too much?
    @Britpoint In fact, some of those scenes I almost cried at. I was feeling pretty upset at the end of Angel Beats and Zankyou no Terror, and tragic endings and/or (back)stories do get me emotional. Just the crying that makes me laugh. it ruins the immersion somehow.

Specs:
    watched a couple more episodes and now Nozaki-kun has taken first place as best anime i've ever watched, dethroning oregairu.

Specs:
    789ifyz said:
    watched a couple more episodes and now Nozaki-kun has taken first place as best anime i've ever watched, dethroning oregairu.
    There we go ^_^

And yeah, its 'target audience' is probably supposed to be women, but don't ever let anyone tell you that X is 'for boys' or 'for girls'. Everything's for everyone!

As for the emotional stuff, I kinda get what you mean. They can go a bit over the top sometimes, although I think if it's a genuinely sad moment I'm too busy weeping myself to notice if any of the characters are doing it!
    Recently started watching Vampire Knight a month or so ago. Not sure how I feel about it.

I do sort of like it in that I don't find it a chore to actively search for and watch the next episode, and i do look forward to it, but not so much that I get excited for it. If I happen to miss a chance to watch, it's just sort of 'meh', doesn't really matter.

At the same time, I also find it boring to some degree, though not nearly to the point where it's unwatchable. all in all, it's just a passtime, really.

Once I'm done with Guilty, I think I'm gonna skip the rest of my list and go stright to Gintama. Been wanting to watch that for a LONG time now.

Specs:
    Another one I've 'watched' recently is Welcome to the NHK. 'watched' is in inverted commas because I basically scrolled down and read subtitles half the series. Normally, I just would have stopped watching altogether, but the story on this one was rather interesting.

I heard the manga is far more serious and discusses other things like drugs and such. Haven't read that though.

Specs:
    In other (old) news, Marvel made a couple of Anime series. I've watched Iron Man and really enjoyed it. I then started Wolverine, but just couldn't watch it. Logan just... didn't seem like Logan at all! At least, not to me. In fact, if I recall correctly, he didn't even call anyone "bub" in the few episodes I got through.. and his voice was all wront, he didn't have his x-men suit, hardly any hair, seemed like a real softy...

The only thing they really got right was his claws and healing powers (as far as I can remember). It's kinda loke what they did to Soka in the Last Air Bender movie - he had his hair and boomerang, but the rest was completely changed, including his personality and even his race. The funny Soka was replaced by a generic secondary character.

In fact, they actually changed the entire backstory, took out all the good bits, kept the boring ones, revealed characters not belonging in that book, nerfed the bending and changed how it worked... What was Nickelodeon thinking?

--- End of Rant ---- That's not what this was supposed to be btw--- But it is what it became. --- Sorry about that. :smile: 

Specs:
  • NWRChargerNWRCharger Member Wheel Nut
    Just watched high school of the dead and attack on titan. They are both really good. Recommend the Watch.  Not usually a fan of anime but they actually got me interested :)

Really hoping high school of the dead brings a second season. 
    NWR opening for new members! Interested in joining?  Message me :)

• SynGamerSynGamer Member Co-Driver
    Just watched high school of the dead and attack on titan. They are both really good. Recommend the Watch.  Not usually a fan of anime but they actually got me interested :)

Really hoping high school of the dead brings a second season. 
    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed HOTD.
    Please read the [FORUM RULES] and [SEARCH] before you post.
    Website | Twitter | Tumblr
  • NWRChargerNWRCharger Member Wheel Nut
    @SynGamer  I heard they were releasing a season 2. Hopefully!
    NWR opening for new members! Interested in joining?  Message me :)

@NWRCharger I've watched Attack on Titan, pretty good. HSOTD is on my list, which I am following reverse alphabetically. Haven't seen it yet, but watched an AMV a while back. Certainly does look good.

There's nothign about a second season on MAL, but if they do make it I may just skip straight to HSOTD. And with it, Gintama.

Specs:
    Here's a question for everyone:

For those who aren't into Anime, are there any in particular that you did enjoy, and if so, what are they. You may leave reasons if you have any, or don't bother if you're like me and usually don't have any specific reason for liking the things you like.

For those who are into anime: what was the first anime that got you into anime, and some of your favourites. The rest of the question is the same as the question above.

Just wondering. Hopefully I actually get an answer or two. Or more.

Specs:
    Those who've watched Dragonball will know that this may potentially be quite accurate/possible situation in the actual anime.

Goku: Hey, Frieza! How many Saiyans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Frieza: How many?

Goku: Just one...   But it takes 3 episodes...   And Krillin dies in the process...

Frieza: That's not funny.

Goku: I'm just Saiyan'. :smiley: 

Specs:
  • scarl3td3vilscarl3td3vil Member Unleaded
    789ifyz said:
    Here's a question for everyone:

For those who aren't into Anime, are there any in particular that you did enjoy, and if so, what are they. You may leave reasons if you have any, or don't bother if you're like me and usually don't have any specific reason for liking the things you like.

For those who are into anime: what was the first anime that got you into anime, and some of your favourites. The rest of the question is the same as the question above.

Just wondering. Hopefully I actually get an answer or two. Or more.
    I remember distinctly loving Cyborg 009 when Toonami (Cartoon Network) aired that on a regular basis, and was very likely the one that confirmed my enjoyment of anime. I took a long hiatus from anime though, and much of my J-media is primarily video games of anime, manga, or visual novels.

The anime that got me back into anime was Initial D, though I stopped watching after Second Stage and dropped the manga after Fourth Stage. I mostly remember ID for the music in the anime, which I love playing in the background while tearing Nathan McKane a new rear axle. The newest anime I've watched, the 2006 remake of the Kanon anime by Kyoto Animation is proof that I'm heavily backlogged, though, as the original visual novel for that is almost 15 years old now.

Funny enough, it seems like I get into these things if they have a good racing or fighting game adaptation/spin-off; in the case of Kanon, it was from playing Eternal Fighter Zero; in my interest for Type-Moon's works, it was playing hundreds of hours of Melty Blood with my friends (twin boys, though ironically they never played as either of the maid twin sisters in that game); and for my eternal love for Yuyuko, it was hour after hour of playing Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.

I guess you would say I'm into anime-style games. Codemasters, you know what to do to win me back: cute girls racing for every team! Even Ravenwest, unless Yuki Nakamura is intentionally a gender-ambiguous name so I can ship "her" with Nathan McKane! Just kidding... sort of! 

I keep pitching this but they're having none of it! XD
    Britpoint said:
    @Britpoint am i right in assuming you work with the GRID team? Do you happen to know anyone in the DiRT team who would be willing to pitch something similar there? Of course, if they refuse we can always rely on modders to get some sort of livery out there, but said mods probably won't be available on console.

Specs:
    789ifyz said:
    Britpoint said:
    @Britpoint am i right in assuming you work with the GRID team? Do you happen to know anyone in the DiRT team who would be willing to pitch something similar there? Of course, if they refuse we can always rely on modders to get some sort of livery out there, but said mods probably won't be available on console.
    Aha, not a chance ^_^ Even when I bring it up it's only as a joke, don't expect us to be putting Hatsune Miku in any time soon! The parody MadokaxAutosport trailer @scarl3td3vil did is as good as you're gonna get.

@scarl3td3vil Thanks for responding. It seems your anime tastes are heavily linked to your gaming.  For me they're both pretty separate. Until recently, the only anime-based games I had were fighting games based on anime I'd watched.
    I had heard that Final Fantasy was a good series, but it's turn-based so...
    The Lightning Returns demo was ok, but the constant countdown timer apparently ruins the full game (I don't have it so I don't really know.)
    FFXV looks good, but it's only on current-gen consoles, which I won't have until a few years probably.

That and the slight presence of some shounen anime/manga games in my personal DiRT livery, and of FFXV and KHIII.

btw, just watched your madokaxautosport trailer and it was brilliant.

Specs: