Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

What you want to see from GRID

Comments

• McRoss1966McRoss1966 Member New Car Smell
    pre-alpha
    alpha
    closed beta
    open beta
    Release
    And let every step take its time! You can't go from pre-alpha to full release and hoping some silly fixes during the first two months after release will do it.
    The fact that CM was spot on for grid goes way back with the toca-series, which then was lost in a stooopid "hunt-for-quick-cash" starting with Dirt3, Showdown and finally the notatallsuccesful G2. (Eijits) :)
    Go to gamba and look at the Sim-competitors, I do think a future game should be towards sims but without the 1 zillion ways to setup a car. In G1-Touring cars there were 2 cars to choose from, without setup possibilites (OK different cars with different performances could be obtained through Ebay), a good race-feeling and that was good enough for me and several others.

So am I right in thinking you want lots of set-up options?
    No, no setup options at all really is what I am after. :) 
    Sry if i wrote so I could be misunderstood.
    *** apparently the air is very thin up where I'm sitting, so I probably need to wear an oxygen mask *** LMFAO
  • LooreLoore Member Champion
    edited April 2014
    There are those that do like to tinker with their cars so to speak so what about giving a host in multiplayer global control over everything, as in he/she decides what options people can use? 

Best of both world's no? 

Those that want to race with zero differences can do so, those that want to setup their car can also go for it.
    Community Manager at Codemasters, wears a robe and wizard hat
    Find me on Twitter | Steam
    edited April 2014
    In G1 we had the option to go "with assist" or "without assist" ...and for a **** of a lot of us those choices were good enough.
    Don't snare yourself into an options trap, where you in the end will have a consequent list of 30 questions you need to go yes or no on.
    *** apparently the air is very thin up where I'm sitting, so I probably need to wear an oxygen mask *** LMFAO
  • flowaangelzflowaangelz Member Wheel Nut

If you mean setup like Dirt 2 or 3 then it's pointless IMO. After few days most ppl know how to set those 5 sliders up and there are no setup nuances visible during racing. And the rest who dont know how to set the car are being left with no chance for win anyway so less ppl to take part in action on track. Setup screen also takes additional time and makes waiting for races longer.

If you think about more complex simmy setup like F1 games then please dont go this way. There are/will enough sim/simcade games on the market with emphasis on setups. It will divide community even more. 

Same goes with car upgrades and such. 

What was perfect in Grid 1 was that plug and race aspect. Start the game, choose the series and race.

• GoonertezGoonertez Member Unleaded

Loore said:
    There are those that do like to tinker with their cars so to speak so what about giving a host in multiplayer global control over everything, as in he/she decides what options people can use? 

Best of both world's no? 

Those that want to race with zero differences can do so, those that want to setup their car can also go for it.
    Loore...seems like a good idea...give us the choice to choose setups or no.
    While on the point of choice, it would be nice if we could also choose the cars to use...not the TIER...the car or cars.
    or if not indiviual cars, then the dicipline of cars...like touring or GT1...as long as the disciplines are sorted accordingly. like they were in G1.

It might be worth pointing out that the community i was part of in G1 days had a kind of 'code'
    It was like 'cannon'...Grid-cannon.

When ebay cars [and hence the xml hack] were still in the game, this cannon dictated that we had to prove our 'equal footing' with a screenshot or video, showing the car we used, had less than 500 miles on the odometer.
    Less than 500 miles meant it absolutely HAD to be a stock car...stock as in bog-standard. All ebay cars had over 500 miles on them...so equality was 99% assured.

The result of this equal footing means to us that the race we are about to have, has a higher potential to be a dam good race than otherwise wold be the case.
    Most of us want 5 laps of racing [or 5 -10 mins], nose to tail all the way...thats the target.
    The other end of the scale is the guy in first is 3 seconds ahead of the guy in second, who is 4 seconds ahead of the guy in third and so on. we dont want that race after race after race.

compare real life F1 to Real life BTCC [or whatever its called these days]
    we want the BTCC style!
    we had it in G1
    we lost it in G2

im gonna shush now coz im bordering on rambling 8P
    ******Gotta spare mask there McRoss...startin to choke a bit here*******
  • joepineapplesjoepineapples Member Pit Crew
    edited April 2014

No setups please. Keep the game as simple as possible. Just like you did with Grid 1. Give all players, no matter on what level they are, same conditions. And setup screen makes waiting for a race longer ;)

I don't agree with McRoss on sim aspect. Future Codemasters games should be arcade games just like they have been so far. GRID2 and DIRT3 are games with good handling but have few game-breaking bugs (I don't class Grid 2 cornering bug as a handling thing).

Equal cars is crucial. Assuming there are different dev teams working on different games, Grid guys should learn from Dirt 2/3 team in terms of balancing the cars. This was one of the good things of last 2 DIRT games. Every class - rally/rallyX/grB had mostly equal cars. The differences were very little. So online, every race, we had a variety of cars competing. 

I'd personally go with no setups too, and just mix it up a bit with cars of different strengths and weaknesses (but still in the same class).  I don't agree about grid 2 handling though.  This must NOT be carried over to the next version.  It needs a handling model that rewards drivers having to take a proper racing line through corners etc.  Not only does this feel much more rewarding, but also promotes better driving, bumper to bumper close racing, and less crash bang  wallop for online.  Leave drifting for drifting events, not racing

support your pc - buy the game
    edited April 2014

GRID2 and DIRT3 are games with good handling but have few game-breaking bugs (I don't class Grid 2 cornering bug as a handling thing).

I'd personally go with no setups too, and just mix it up a bit with cars of different strengths and weaknesses (but still in the same class).  I don't agree about grid 2 handling though.  This must NOT be carried over to the next version.  It needs a handling model that rewards drivers having to take a proper racing line through corners etc.  Not only does this feel much more rewarding, but also promotes better driving, bumper to bumper close racing, and less crash bang  wallop for online.  Leave drifting for drifting events, not racing

In G2 handling itself as a reaction for steering moves is fine IMO. Just cars shud not take corners with drifting faster than with taking normal racing line. That's why i pointed out that cornering BUG which made cars drift thru corners was not part of handling system. 

In Dirt 3 on tarmac cornering worked fine. When car was losing grip and was beginning to slide it was losing speed, and it was quicker to search for grip and take normal racing line. 

• joepineapplesjoepineapples Member Pit Crew
    'If' that was a bug then it was a massive game changer.  I tend to think it was as intended though.  Either way we both agree we don't want it in Grid 3. 

support your pc - buy the game
  • MastaVonBlastaMastaVonBlasta Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited April 2014
    I had high hopes for Grid 2 as the build up to the release mentioned a high frequency physics and handling model, Finite Element like car damage model, real life tracks and locations and overall a game with a bit of authenticity.

I have to say I was disappointed with how the released game turned out. 

#1 flaw was the handling model and I've seen it mentioned here a number of times. Taking a hairpin in an uncontrolled drift should never be quicker than taking a clean racing line... Sometimes it even looked as if the car was given a boost when taking corners in this strange way :(

On top of this the cars would just snap into oversteer with very little warning or feedback - it felt hugely inconsistent.

Therefore, my biggest hope for the next 'Grid' game is that the handling is completely reworked. I'm sure it's possible to strike a good balance between playability and realism. The cars should be involving, but in a way which encourages taking realistic racing lines and requires a bit of skill (not rewarding artificial feeling slides).

If this requires a return of driving aids then so be it. Saying 'people are more clever than you think' apply to many areas. Challenges and learning are a must in games - without it playing games feels like a waste of time...
    (If you want to make an addictive game just make as annoying as Flappy Bird - joking!)

Normally I would've had many more comments/suggestions, but I don't in case of Grid 2... I've not finished the game (40% completion maybe?), because I was getting angry at the way the cars felt and that realistic driving approach was of no use.

I'm sure Codies noticed the feedback present at this and old forum and know that something did not quite go to plan. It now seems, based on hints, that the Grid series may head towards its roots and take inspiration from TOCA series.

I've still got Grid 2 disc, but I'm not feeling tempted to go back to it. I really hope that I won't put away the next game after couple of hours.
    Twitter: MastaVonBlasta ¬ Bobby K fan ¬ Next one will be the one.
  • CaptainJackCaptainJack Member Wheel Nut
    Ok, to make it clear, we want text chat in the next iteration of Grid, Toca, or whatever else it might be called this time.

thanks ;)
    Consider it on the list and it will be the first thing @Loore talks to the team about again in the morning :)
    And that is all he needed to say in the first place instead of allowing his vernacular to lead to misunderstandings . .
    There has to be no setups in a Grid game . . .put in setups and it's no longer a Grid game.

Also, we are always hearing of time and space so that would be better used elsewhere, plus, we already have games with setups.

Grid 2 is still on my computer, it has never left, I still get a buzz when I can just jump in and drive, I still get a buzz playing a CM racing game, that has never gone since the very early days of CM racing . . Toca 3 is as fresh as the day I first played it, 2005 for all its rough edges is great fun to play . . . the fans, just as much (probably more) as the management, don't want to see the end of CM racing.

What really annoys us is this impression we have that CM have been acting like lemmings over the past few years as if they have this death wish to destroy their own company . .it's bloody frustrating.
    edited April 2014
    Loore said:

Best of both world's no? 

I'd say no . . .the essence of Grid is DON'T give time wasting options.

Think back to all the nonsense created with ebay cars, give setups and we would be in the same ballpark.

Suggestions should have merit points based on the original Grid 1. By that I mean something like "don't bog us down with endless interfaces before we get to the track" would take precedence over "host allowing car setups", even just, "car setups" . . which would then lead to setups moving down the list or even dropping off the end depending on popularity or space.

When you make a movie you start with a storyboard, when you start a racing game start with a features merit board.

• lastbreathlastbreath Member New Car Smell

What is a sense of such topics if you don't listen to your fans??? There were hundreds suggestions before GRID2. Did you rely on them?

When Bugbear team was asked to put cam higher - they put it higher. When I asked you to put chase cam higher and make dizzy camera effects optional... Nothing happened.

What is a sense of such topics if you don't listen to your fans??? There were hundreds suggestions before GRID2. Did you rely on them?

When Bugbear team was asked to put cam higher - they put it higher. When I asked you to put chase cam higher and make dizzy camera effects optional... Nothing happened.

Actually, that point needs to go on the list . .the boot cam in Grid 2 was too low . .
    Or maybe even a cam editor.
  • PSYMATRIXPSYMATRIX Member New Car Smell
    hi!

i want to see

1 - a lobby with room list to choose where i want to enter
    2 - more policies against cheaters and crash racers
    3 - better balancing of categories
    4 - chat text room in game avaiable in game
    5 - long races
    6 - le mans 24h
    edited April 2014

Another thing i would welcome in a new game is improved blind-spot indicator. For people using in-car view or bonnet cam, without triple-monitor setup or track-id, its really hard to race mid-pack and cover what is going on on both sides of the car. Having that kind of help would improve online action.

IMO the perfect indicator is being used in Nascar the Game 2013:

Post edited by flowaangelz on
  • SRS13Rastus1701SRS13Rastus1701 Member Pit Crew
    edited April 2014
    +1 to the no car setup's. Bring back the assists system from Grid 1, THAT was what made the game such a crossover hit with SIM and arcade fans alike, If you just wanted fun then all assists on. but turn them all off and it's a whole different beast requiring finesse to get the best out of it.

You said prior to G2's launch "It's all about the race" we wanna race against other people, not be mired down by trying to remember which setup works for which track and then put it in place before the timer runs out.

If the lack of car setup causes enough of an outcry, I do like Loores suggestion that the Host specifies which settings will be applied. It must be all options available though, too many times I've seen manual geared players cream auto drivers so allow the host to set auto only sessions as well as manual only.

I played so many Grid and Dirt 3 races online against people who had 0% career completion (maybe a bigger incentive is needed to remedy this). Personally I never take it online until I can beat the AI on at least hard if not max. Best way to learn the tracks/cars/game imo.

The MOST missed thing from Grid 1 (for me anyway) was it's "visible to all" vote to kick system, a return would be cool, with two additions. ALL players HAVE to vote and the host can't just kick you out, this way it's a democratic decision not a dictatorship.

No group of friends want their fair play, fun session ruined by ramming idiots.
    No new player/gamer likes having their behind handed to them on a plate just cause the others have wheels etc.
    No player wants to be kicked just cause the host has a"beef" with them over an accident in a previous race. 

Make each players controller type visible (KB, controller, wheel etc)

Text chat is a MUST HAVE, again the chat in Grid 1 was PERFECT, visible to all but unobtrusive, Language used is always a problem but it's a problem no matter the format used to speak them. Remember as well that many people don't own or (like me) don't want to use a headset.

OOOOhhh yeaaah speaking of heasets, pleeeease for sanity and (insert deity of your choice here)'s sake. Mute mics as default, yeah have the little logo pop up with a name so people can see they are being used but no more entering a lobby to find an ignoramus eating a packet of crisps so freakin loud it's drowning out the race! AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
    It seems I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....:D
    edited April 2014
    ..or host a TS3- or equivalent VoIP server and let ppl verbally communicate there. Keep it out of the game itself, there are plenty of good voip programs out there, so don't try to re-invent the wheel. and keep away from Steam-chat ....lmao
    edited April 2014
    Keep a MILLION MILES away from Steam Chat . . .

About setups . . .

I can guess at the need for the type of setups we got in Dirt games as being available because the game has us racing on different surfaces, not there just simply for personal preferences.

In Grid 1 we didn't have different surfaces so the developers only need to strike an acceptable handling model for all players, and like Rastus mentioned, assists off available for the anoraks, lol . .