Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Official Football Thread

Comments

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator

Hughesy said:

Sort of. Glad he's gone, but it also means that there's no money for the new manager to spend.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• JiggyJiggy Member Race Steward
    At least the new manager won't force people like Anichebe and Gibson in the line-up. It's shocking how much Moyes enjoys playing dead average, nothing players just because they work hard.
  • Juice29Juice29 Member Wheel Nut
    Arsenal news in the FA Cup 2-1 against Chelsea.
    The 13th time they've won the trophy!
    Get in!

#TeamLH

• HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    Losing the first game of the season 8-2 isn't great, that's me being polite. Still Norwich lost first game of the season 7-2 or something a few years ago and won the league, that's me clutching at straws.....

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Hughesy said:
    Losing the first game of the season 8-2 isn't great, that's me being polite. Still Norwich lost first game of the season 7-2 or something a few years ago and won the league, that's me clutching at straws.....

no not a good start is it. Thankfully you still have 45 games to go and turn it around.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

Hughesy said:

I was quite happy with our draw yesterday, I was fearing double drop!

#RIPJules

fIsince08 said:
    Hughesy said:

I don't see Sundreland suffering a double relegation your teams not that bad.

• LukedfrtLukedfrt Member Race Steward
    I think Sunderland will be in for a tough season, remind me of Villa last year.
    BCFC - KEEP RIGHT ON!!! 
    The best ever - Alonso #14
    Lukedfrt said:
    I think Sunderland will be in for a tough season, remind me of Villa last year.

Wel Villa never dropped to league 1 so at least for them that's a blessing

Going to be a strange season for us playing at Wembley instead of the Lane. But I guess we'll just have to make the most of it. At least until we get our new stadium next season.

fIsince08 said:
    Hughesy said:

I can tbh. Easily. Going to put money on it too, the way Sunderland is being managed.
    Jiggy said:
    fIsince08 said:
    Hughesy said:

I can tbh. Easily. Going to put money on it too, the way Sunderland is being managed.
    We aren't going down again. Our squad is by no means relegation bad and Grayson knows what he is doing. Short is looking to sell, he's not going to let us go down again and lose more money.

#RIPJules

Jiggy said:
    fIsince08 said:
    Hughesy said:

Well Villa at the time they went down couldn't even beat it's reserve team they were that bad Sunderland at least I think are a bit better than that.

fIsince08 said:
    Jiggy said:
    fIsince08 said:
    Hughesy said:

We aren't going down again. Our squad is by no means relegation bad and Grayson knows what he is doing. Short is looking to sell, he's not going to let us go down again and lose more money.
    Just because you're a Sunderland-fan and you're cool, I actually hope they don't relegate and sort out their mismanagement tbh. Not aware of any changes in and around Sunderland's upper echelon though, so maybe they're on a different route now.

But clubs who spent year after year screwing things up in the top flight (or any division) and then suddenly do get the drop, tend to get themselves into another relegation scrap eventually. Whether it's the first season right away or the following ones after that.

At least you still have Khazri though. But what's the situation around Robbin Ruiter, I've seen people rate him, but he was benched at the start of the season for Steele, who imo was dreadful. Is he going to start for them, because if that first game of Steele is going to be a preview of what's to come, Ruiter should start tbh.

Must say good starts for both new teams today in Brighton and Huddersfield. Yes Brighton did lose but they did play quite well to restrict Man City to the chances they got and gave them a game as well.

• LightningFast90LightningFast90 Member Unleaded
    edited August 13
    I lived in the UK for 3 years and never could figure out why the game is so popular. All that backwards passing and obscenely overpaid players just put me off ever watching it. To me 'football' is Australian rules which I've heard non aussies describe as 'a big fight for two hours with teams, where a score is kept' HAHA
    Gratia infinitum sub metum, victroriam ad celeritas et potentia per aspera.

Crisp Whites 
    Fossils
    Fast Cars

Dislikes:
    Undergrads
    Soft Cheese
    Flies, Spiders and Snakes
    Double Negatives
    edited August 13
    I lived in the UK for 3 years and never could figure out why the game is so popular. All that backwards passing and obscenely overpaid players just put me off ever watching it. To me 'football' is Australian rules which I've heard non aussies describe as 'a big fight for two hours with teams, where a score is kept' HAHA
    Not just in this country but most of the world in fact. But then we did invent the game probably is our most famous export now. :p However I do agree about the money players and clubs tend to get paid way too much these days.

• LightningFast90LightningFast90 Member Unleaded
    Not just in this country but most of the world in fact. But then we did invent the game probably is our most famous export now. :p However I do agree about the money players and clubs tend to get paid way too much these days.
    Yep the only place I haven't seen football (soccer) played was in the US but I understand that is gaining some traction there. It gets a run here but not a lot of interest.
    Gratia infinitum sub metum, victroriam ad celeritas et potentia per aspera.

Crisp Whites 
    Fossils
    Fast Cars

Dislikes:
    Undergrads
    Soft Cheese
    Flies, Spiders and Snakes
    Double Negatives
    Yep the only place I haven't seen football (soccer) played was in the US but I understand that is gaining some traction there. It gets a run here but not a lot of interest.
    yeah it's starting to grow there with the MLS but then with the American's it's always had a bit of a hit and miss relationship in the US

Jiggy said:
    fIsince08 said:
    Jiggy said:
    fIsince08 said:
    Hughesy said:

Just because you're a Sunderland-fan and you're cool, I actually hope they don't relegate and sort out their mismanagement tbh. Not aware of any changes in and around Sunderland's upper echelon though, so maybe they're on a different route now.

But clubs who spent year after year screwing things up in the top flight (or any division) and then suddenly do get the drop, tend to get themselves into another relegation scrap eventually. Whether it's the first season right away or the following ones after that.

At least you still have Khazri though. But what's the situation around Robbin Ruiter, I've seen people rate him, but he was benched at the start of the season for Steele, who imo was dreadful. Is he going to start for them, because if that first game of Steele is going to be a preview of what's to come, Ruiter should start tbh.

4 points from 2 games, not looking so bad now is it?

Khazri won't be here at the end of the window and I'm thankful for that, his heart isn't in it and he's been shocking for the last 6 months. Steele started again today and seems to be getting better (he could hardly get worse), but I also want Ruiter starting.

#RIPJules