Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Official Football Thread

Comments

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    Well I'm watching the match from the pavillion in the national paddock here at Silverstone, there is actually a Croation team here too  :D

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    Coming

• onetwothreeonetwothree Member Team Principal
    Well this is awkward...

ugvugvgfrewwwwfvyn
    ^^^^This comment will get me banned

#CauseBabyYoureAFireeeeeedreamTheWayYouTurnMeOn
    edited July 11
    It's coming home, but in typical British fashion, bus was cancelled, so missed the train and it's now on a slow ass road replacement service.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    edited July 11
    Hughesy said:
    It's coming home, but in typical British fashion, bus was cancelled, so missed the train and it's now on a slow ass road replacement service.
    youi mean the one that only appears every 4 years yeah I know the one :p 

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• LukedfrtLukedfrt Member Petrol Head
    Gutted.                                        
    BCFC - KEEP RIGHT ON!!! 
    The best ever - Alonso #14
    Lukedfrt said:
    Gutted.                                        
    Yeah just about sum's up how I feel but then to beat Croatia we needed that second goal in that first half while we were in controlling the game. For me I don't think Sterling made enough of his chances he could have easily had a couple of goals in this world cup including last night had he just shot instead of always waiting for back up.  Had he taken at least 1 of those chances last night I think we'd have won. Especially as with a couple of them goalkeeper aside it was pretty much an open goal. We should have probably been playing Rashford aside Kane instead of Sterling because at least he seemed to be willing to take a few chances. Had he been the guy instead of Sterling we might have got those goals.

• AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Race Engineer
    edited July 13
    Agree completely about taking those first half chances, we were always going to concede, it was just a matter of when and even after we conceded we didn't look the more likely to go on and win. 

I know most people will be saying about how proud they are, (and that's fine because I'm proud of the team as well) but I can't help but feel that might have been the best chance we will get to see a final involving England for a long, long time. If you look back at our previous games in world cups where we have been knocked out it has always been against "big teams", Croatia are a good side but not quite Germany or Argentina. 

Worst part is we were only 23 minutes away from the final, just devastating. That and the first half was really quite good, so it's such a shame how the rest went...
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

The one player I'm going to dig out is Kane, he was truly awful all game. Everyone can have a bad game, but what a game to go missing in. He didn't hold the ball up, he didn't move and drag the defence away so people like Sterling could get in. Against Sweden he did all that which helped us score without him getting on the score sheet. Then when he did get the chance he missed an absolute sitter.

We had a kind draw, but then so did Germany when they won. This team can get better, plus our youth teams have won tournaments, so the English game is on the right track. Southgate is the perfect national coach, as he gives players the belief and freedom to play. I just hope we can do it again, as last time we got to the semi finals I was only 1 or 2 years old I think.
    I think France would have been too much for us, but it would have been great to get the chance to play them.
    AMS97KRR said:
    Agree completely about taking those first half chances, we were always going to concede, it was just a matter of when and even after we conceded we didn't look the more likely to go on and win. 

I know most people will be saying about how proud they are, (and that's fine because I'm proud of the team as well) but I can't help but feel that might have been the best chance we will get to see a final involving England for a long, long time. If you look back at our previous games in world cups where we have been knocked out it has always been against "big teams", Croatia are a good side but not quite Germany or Argentina. 

Worst part is we were only 23 minutes away from the final, just devastating. That and the first half was really quite good, so it's such a shame how the rest went...

Yeah we literally had control of the game in that firs half and we gave it to them. They'd have never got us if we'd have gone 2 up. But I do agree on the fact that when the big powerhouses went missing  we didn't take advantage so yeah it's disappointing in that sense as we may not get another opening like that. I think we are on the right track though but we either need to learn to be better at defending and keeping the ball or make more of our chances when we get them because 1-0 up at half time is not enough. Because the days of getting away with a 1-0 like Arsenal used to do are long gone.

Hughesy said:
    The one player I'm going to dig out is Kane, he was truly awful all game. Everyone can have a bad game, but what a game to go missing in. He didn't hold the ball up, he didn't move and drag the defence away so people like Sterling could get in. Against Sweden he did all that which helped us score without him getting on the score sheet. Then when he did get the chance he missed an absolute sitter.

We had a kind draw, but then so did Germany when they won. This team can get better, plus our youth teams have won tournaments, so the English game is on the right track. Southgate is the perfect national coach, as he gives players the belief and freedom to play. I just hope we can do it again, as last time we got to the semi finals I was only 1 or 2 years old I think.
    I think France would have been too much for us, but it would have been great to get the chance to play them.

In fairness to Kane missing a sitter there were suspicions as to whether he was offside anyway so even if he had put that chance away it may not have counted. But otherwise yeah it wasn't exactly his best game. But as you say everyone can have a bad game. But in the case of Sterling he had been doing that all tournament. Fair enough if you don't think you can score but sometimes if there's no back up and you're near the goal anyway you need to try to take the chance. I 'd have rather have him take the chance and risk the miss or keeper save it than wait for backup as Kane isn't as quick as Sterling so we know the defenders will be breathing down his back and you'll lose the opportunity to try and we did because he spent too much time waiting. It's one of the reasons why he was up front alongside Kane for me because he has that speed. Because when you play with 2 strikers the best way is to have 1 that's fast and one that can carry a presence. Kane is more of a presence striker like Rooney or Shearer used to be to that extent whereas people like Sterling and Rashford fit more the Owen role someone that can out run defenders and stick it in the goal before they have a chance to react and stop them.

Dude they have VAR now, so if he scored it would have been used and given, as he was on side. He had a very poor match, people thought he was carrying an injury, but wasn't. Don't get me wrong he played a crucial role in getting us to the semi, but I don't know what happened.
  • EUfkdupEUfkdup Member New Car Smell
    I thought Kane looked tired personally. He seemed to lack energy all match.

The writing was on the wall early in the second half. England were not really under any pressure in the first half but couldn't carry out the main, basic rule of football in the second half. KEEP THE BALL! Too many times they either ran into a Croatian player or passed it straight to them. It was repetitive and obvious what was going to end up happening. 

It was hard to be **** off at them for losing though. They brought the passion out in the fans and made us believe again. I haven't seen that since Euro 96. 

As for the third place play off, I'd like to see Dele and Sterling drop out for Loftus-Cheek and Rashford. I think the lad is special. He's the only England player who looks fearless to me and not afraid to run at players and take them on. When was the last time we had somebody like that?

edited July 14
    Hughesy said:
    Dude they have VAR now, so if he scored it would have been used and given, as he was on side. He had a very poor match, people thought he was carrying an injury, but wasn't. Don't get me wrong he played a crucial role in getting us to the semi, but I don't know what happened.

It would have been used yes but not necessarily given. As he looked offside to me and the commentary team thought so as well if I recall. Also yeah he did do well throughout the tournament as our captain and I'm glad he plays for my club because he is a good player in general. But yeah it was just an off day when we could least afford it from him.

EUfkdup said:
    I thought Kane looked tired personally. He seemed to lack energy all match.

The writing was on the wall early in the second half. England were not really under any pressure in the first half but couldn't carry out the main, basic rule of football in the second half. KEEP THE BALL! Too many times they either ran into a Croatian player or passed it straight to them. It was repetitive and obvious what was going to end up happening. 

It was hard to be **** off at them for losing though. They brought the passion out in the fans and made us believe again. I haven't seen that since Euro 96. 

As for the third place play off, I'd like to see Dele and Sterling drop out for Loftus-Cheek and Rashford. I think the lad is special. He's the only England player who looks fearless to me and not afraid to run at players and take them on. When was the last time we had somebody like that?

TBH I don' tcaer much for the 3rd place playoff really it's just a waste of time. Not sure I'll even bother watching it tbh right now.
    Post edited by sjsharp2010 on

No the showed a replay of it, the reason the commentators thought it was was because the flag went up, but that was because the ball went out of play after his shot. He was behind the defensive line before his run.
    Hughesy said:
    No the showed a replay of it, the reason the commentators thought it was was because the flag went up, but that was because the ball went out of play after his shot. He was behind the defensive line before his run.
    Well he looked offside to me so not sure either way glad I chose not to bother with the 3rd place game given we're losing again.

They literally showed a replay and paused it showing he was miles onside, not sure how you missed it.
    Well, for the first time in ages, I actually went to the match with excitement and expectations of a win. For once, I was not disappointed!

I thought the first half was dire, but we grew in confidence as the game went on and a last minute winner is the perfect way to start off a new era. The atmosphere was immense today as well, best we've had probably since we beat Everton under Allardyce. The noise was deafening when Gooch scored.

Roll on Luton!

#RIPJules

Yeah well we got two red cards and lost :p    
    edited August 15
    @Lukedfrt Yeovil scored a legit goal against Villa last night player goes right in front of the Villa fans and did the loser dance from Fortnite. Then the goal was disallowed for a foul, but replays show it was the Villa player committing the foul which is infuriating, no idea what the ref was thinking.

@Lukedfrt I've just seen Lee Camp's "effort" at saving that free kick yesterday. PHAAAHAHA!

#RIPJules