Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

New game for F1 2018 or a polished version of F1 2017?

rabbitbAJrabbitbAJ Member Wheel Nut
Would you prefer a polished version of F1 2017 (so F1 2017 but  without any bugs, 2018 cars and maybe a few minor tweaks) or a new game? Personally I would prefer a polished 2017 so Codemasters could possibly start development on 2019 earlier (If they still have the licence then).

New game for F1 2018 or a polished version of F1 2017? 88 votes

Polished F1 2017
54%
Ho3n3rChromaticlikewiseD4rioProtiousFalcon4AsHeavenIsWideMrGhostO1OCavSTiagojayp666CmdrCodyF12korWestyynexus1011Samzageef1racerAYpunkianMrCosta96SauloCirineuoner7 48 votes
New Game
45%
VirtuaIceManmartblokeAdamFreemanKimi12CLCYSpaniasSAEVARM3UP100CatPower85SlimboDudeFernandoVDMTheSevillista87SamReaNF1randokalbus22LuismiNieto74thombrouwer90BlackBird352pijinDerekLvniels12345Woerden 40 votes
At the start of the race my rival said he would beat me, I said ' !@#*£ please' and then beat him by fifteen seconds.  

Comments

• pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    New Game
    I think they should release a 2017.5 right after winter testing (after all the car reveals) as an update to 2017, which basically would add the 2018 cars and address bugs and make it the game it should've been. Then later, in like September, they should release the actual F1 2018 with new features and stuff.

My point is, they shouldn't make a polished version a new game because why should we pay $60 for a game that is what the previous game should've been?
  • rabbitbAJrabbitbAJ Member Wheel Nut
    Polished F1 2017
    kevinkirk said:
    its impossible for a game not to have bugs
    You know what I meant, there is no need to act like a smart arse.

pijin said:
    I think they should release a 2017.5 right after winter testing (after all the car reveals) as an update to 2017, which basically would add the 2018 cars and address bugs and make it the game it should've been. Then later, in like September, they should release the actual F1 2018 with new features and stuff.

My point is, they shouldn't make a polished version a new game because why should we pay $60 for a game that is what the previous game should've been?

I agree however I know for a fact they wont do that. All development for this game has stopped and for sure they won't give us any 2018 content for free.
    At the start of the race my rival said he would beat me, I said ' !@#*£ please' and then beat him by fifteen seconds.  
  • Akkan74Akkan74 Member Wheel Nut
    Polished F1 2017
     kevinkirk said:

Sure, but codemasters should try to delete most of them after release. For the teammate bug they stated ist to much programming it can't be done. so they tweaked it a little bit that it is not audible any more, but they don't remove the bug. There are many sofware companys out there which try to polish their games a long time after release. On the other Hand i understand codemasters to Focus more on F1 2018 because next year every player wants to have all new Driver names, car models, liverys, rules...

You can't fullfill all the wishes from all Players, but the major bugs (safety car issues, tire Change issues during dry/wet/dry, calculated lap times for AI, online issues...) should be eliminated.

From my Point of view i don't expect any big patches for F1 2017 any more. I think the Focus is only on F1 2018 which isn't really nice for us. On the other hand i will buy the next game for sure. There is always hope for a better game next year. ;)

• kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Team Principal
    Akkan74 said:
     kevinkirk said:

Sure, but codemasters should try to delete most of them after release. For the teammate bug they stated ist to much programming it can't be done. so they tweaked it a little bit that it is not audible any more, but they don't remove the bug. There are many sofware companys out there which try to polish their games a long time after release. On the other Hand i understand codemasters to Focus more on F1 2018 because next year every player wants to have all new Driver names, car models, liverys, rules...

You can't fullfill all the wishes from all Players, but the major bugs (safety car issues, tire Change issues during dry/wet/dry, calculated lap times for AI, online issues...) should be eliminated.

From my Point of view i don't expect any big patches for F1 2017 any more. I think the Focus is only on F1 2018 which isn't really nice for us. On the other hand i will buy the next game for sure. There is always hope for a better game next year. ;)

Im not defending Codemasters on their product. Im simply pointing out the reality of its impossible for games not to have bugs period, because some bugs cant be fixed. Game engines and todays gaming hardware are not something that can do everything you want it to. It has limitations. Im speaking for every game. 
    Xbox one, controller
  • 1512marcel1512marcel Member, Drivers Champion
    edited January 12
    For me it'll be Option 3:

Skip F1 2018 as a full fletched game whilst offering a dlc pack with the 2018 tracks and driver / car models for 15 bucks, a dlc that will work with F1 2017.

The main basis in this hypothetical solution should lie on heavily focussing on F1 2019.

F1 2019 should be a polished new "revolutionary" F1 game that's more or less almost bug free and includes the big majority of suggested requests / ideas / constructive criticism that we have given them for years, e.g. official HUD etc., lel.

The biggest selling point could be the inclusion of a multi season career mode based on the licences that Codemasters have bought meaning, the career mode starts in 2009 and goes all the way up to 2019+ making it a 20 season long journey in total with all official sponsors, cars, teams, drivers and tracks, to give this long career a bit of life they could also take some notes from FIFAs "The Journey" and or NBA2Ks "MyCareer" etc.

So many opportunities, but we can only guess what will happen.....

#VoteWithYourWallet

Agree to this, but I guess having the license they are obliged to bring a new game in 2018. So, if that's the fact I go for the polished option allthough I do agree with Operartor that you are paying twice for the more or less the same game. However, it's worth something if they can polish it bug free and operating as promised.

I stated the career option going back to the first game while back too, as a Anniversary edition. A career like that with all the teams/drivers in place would make far more sense than a career expanding in the future.

If you use ABS or Traction Control, you are no longer a racing driver.

1512Marcel

If I get a few more questions about my driving style I think I headbutt someone.

Max Verstappen

• martblokemartbloke Member Co-Driver
    New Game
    #VoteWithYourWallet

Loving it !!!!!!!!!!!
  • speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Team Principal
    Couldn't care less what they do I will not be putting 1 solitary penny more in the coffers of this disrespectful company,if by some miracle the new game happens to work I will buy second hand #votewithyourwallet
  • patronaspatronas Member Wheel Nut
    Not fussed doubt ill be buying there next game  sick of having to play there out dated game every year  if the brought it out early in season then would of considerd it and if could add mods on for the consoles supported threw codies but the chance of any of them 2 things happening is like hell freezing over  which will never happen havent played many games been just f1 for last 3 years but after all the **** with 2017 and not  just the game but the whole way codies have went about this game from promtion to bug support has been very poor at least im not going to give them my money just so they can sit back and laugh at everyone how  the managed to con people year aafter year 
  • CavSTiagoCavSTiago Member Race Steward
    edited January 12
    Polished F1 2017
    I want a new game like the transition between F1 2014 to 2015. I'm other words, I prefer a disaster because I know that it will happen sooner or later. By what we see, a little Producer (like Codemasters) don't got make a new game in a year, so they have to think about the public that will be frustrated and don't buy the game! 
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    Polished F1 2017
    Starting a new game would be like the game being a Honda F1 engine, you start from scratch you'll end up at the back every time. The game is growing but with the growth new issues arise, they have a lot of patching up to do but I think mostly they over reached 2017, 2016 was amazing, R&D was fun and simple. It just worked. They added too much too soon. So hopefully they will take a step back, breath and try not to do too much at once.
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    I don't think I care any more. This gens racing games have been the most disappointing I can remember. Looking forward to possibly getting pcars 2 in a few months but we'll see. Following the patches closely. 

Currently playing PUBG. I've never played a laggier game,  had a game crash to home so much, I've never seen rubber banding like this game had, the fps was absolutely horrible, controls could be dodgy, lagged menus were common, there were loading bugs causing me to get stuck under or between late loading artefacts, it doesn't look great and so on. But it has 2 things going for it. 

1: It's indescribably fun.

2: Updates. We're on 5th patch since game launched on preview around mid December. Every patch has improved something. Imagine that. Last night we had a patch at about 3am and I waited for it and kept playing on. Consider for a second, being excited rather than worried about a patch? Everything is improving step by step. The things the community ask for appear to be tried, tested, and if they work we get them. They don't seem to go on holidays for weeks and leave known broken code out there whilst completely abandoning their community. Although time will tell. 

And even if it does eventually go down hill, it has a big, BIG notification at the start reminding you that all this fun is in preview and you are effectively helping to test it. I consider the F1 release as a game preview now, albeit it at double the price. Codemaster just pretend it isn't...
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • TAKIINOUETAKIINOUE Member Pit Crew
    New Game
    A new game. Why would I want to pay for the same game twice? How is that justifiable?
    edited January 13
    FRACTURED said:
    I don't think I care any more. This gens racing games have been the most disappointing I can remember. Looking forward to possibly getting pcars 2 in a few months but we'll see. Following the patches closely. 

Currently playing PUBG. I've never played a laggier game,  had a game crash to home so much, I've never seen rubber banding like this game had, the fps was absolutely horrible, controls could be dodgy, lagged menus were common, there were loading bugs causing me to get stuck under or between late loading artefacts, it doesn't look great and so on. But it has 2 things going for it. 

2: Updates. We're on 5th patch since game launched on preview around mid December. Every patch has improved something. Imagine that. Last night we had a patch at about 3am and I waited for it and kept playing on. Consider for a second, being excited rather than worried about a patch? Everything is improving step by step. The things the community ask for appear to be tried, tested, and if they work we get them. They don't seem to go on holidays for weeks and leave known broken code out there whilst completely abandoning their community. Although time will tell. 

And even if it does eventually go down hill, it has a big, BIG notification at the start reminding you that all this fun is in preview and you are effectively helping to test it. I consider the F1 release as a game preview now, albeit it at double the price. Codemaster just pretend it isn't...

agreed

body is behind the tree 140
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    New Game
    FRACTURED said:

Honestly I don't really get what you are trying to say here. You are comparing a battle royale game to a racing game.
    Also it seems that the reviews are 56% positive for PUBG and 86% for F1 2017. Face it, these are completely different games and can't really be compared in almost any way. One company at least doesn't ban everyone just because the victim was streaming.
    UP100 said:
    FRACTURED said:

Honestly I don't really get what you are trying to say here. You are comparing a battle royale game to a racing game.
    Also it seems that the reviews are 56% positive for PUBG and 86% for F1 2017. Face it, these are completely different games and can't really be compared in almost any way. One company at least doesn't ban everyone just because the victim was streaming.
    Your missing the point entirely.What I think my learned friend is trying to point out is that for PUBG you are charged £20 or the equivalent and are forewarned that the game is in development and can expect some bugs and also expect those bugs to be fixed where as with this game you are charged £50 or the equivalent and you get just as many bugs a lot of which are never fixed and the dialogue with the codies devs is next to non-existent.Admittedly PUBG is not a yearly cycle game but it shows what can be done with a small studio if you have communication between customer and devs.