Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ
and Forum Rules
before you get started.
F1 2017 failed League Racers - Wishlist for F1 2018 to improve on it !
Imo F1 2017 did a step back from F1 2016 regarding online racing, it has seen good additions like a grid editor, fully equal cars and the stream overlay that really help out, but the racing itself is a lot worse then on 2016 for many reasons. Imo the netcode is significantly worse, SC, VSC and formation lap are very buggy online and hence not usable, desync is a majr issue and when the host disconnects the whole lobby goes nuts. Also the Handling has seen setup exploits (1-11 wings setups with 11 ballast) that were not to find in that quantity in 2016, so here are a few things i'd wish for F1 2018 to help out the competetive scene and also the general online player.
- (paid) dedicated servers for Leagues : imo this is a must now. 7 years we had now P2P and its prove to be useless and ****. even hosts with good connection or even mono-national leagues fight with lag, desync or lagspikes that are unacceptable. All major esports games have servers and to make matters worse apparently there was lag in the esport final whch was a LAN (!!!) event. i am sure ppl would pay 5 euros or so for a league racign season to improve their experience so that stuff like this doesn't happen
- All in game features have to work online! : the vast majority of leagues i know disabled formation lap and safety car ( it was disabled in the esports aswell) because it is broken, the formation lap can put ppl out of their starting positions and cause the whole lobby to bug out, while the VSC and SC can be stuck for the whole race, or the SC spins out etc... . EVERY gameplay feature HAS to be utilised online to get the full authentic experience, especially bc races on this game can be dull.
- contact model and slipstream: While i think both was balanced wrong on F1 2016 its now wrongs aswell. Slipstream isnt effective at all and either it feels like it or actually every race has a slipstream glitch because its non existent, while dirty air is insane. We have seen from Bottas vs. Stroll how OP slipstream can be with the new wide Rear wings so i'd put the slipstream level between F1 2016 and F1 2017 for the new release. The conctat model on the other hand is way too forgiving, as ppl are just ramming others off with no consequence leagues fear to use sim damage because of Lag and desync, so please make the contact model a bit more sensitive again (but not as in 2016)
- Balanced setups have to come back: I personally really enjoyed the Handling of F1 2017 at the beginning bc if felt great in the corners, it nailed the traction and the braking was good, but since the setups were exploited and the top guys are all using 1-7+X wings and 9-11 Ballast the handling feels really sluggish, as you have constant understeer, but insane traction and all that made me at least locking up quite a lot. In general these setups are the best bc they are fast and they work especially good with worn tyres, as the car is much more stable then with a "realistic setup" F1 2016 didnt have such an gamechaning exploit and next years handling needs to focus on not exploiting the handling model
These 4 things above are VITAL, as they are for me and many others are destroying an otherwise very competent game.
Here are a few things that can be added as " gimmicks" just to improve authenticity and enjoment for racers and viewers of competetive racing:
- Utiliszation of the Official HUD for ingame and for the spectator overlay
- Bringing in a 23rd slot for a race director who can ahnd out penalties on the fly and bring out the SC or VSC
- MASSIVELY expand the EVENT function with tickets, merch and goodies to race for, and introduce cutscenes with maybe real drivers talking about their experiences
- Esports qualifiers shouldnt be determined by a mini TT in the Event mode, but through a feeder series, for which for exapmple the Top 100 of one event are eligble, as the events are still favouring the TT merchants
- Introducing maybe and ingame esports hub like pcars or FIFA where you can see news and upcoming league racing or esports events so that casual players can see whats going and maybe give a try themselves.
Ideally i'd like to have a lot of ppl commenting on this one so we can make a good and condensed list so that codies has a clue what to do, bc often it seems that if they do one thing right, they brake two others and that is just sloppy work imo.
AOR and RaceDepartment PS4 racer