Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Can't play game F1 17

My game won't save anything , i can't play it. I do not have any mods. I had no problem since release of the game. I re-installed game 2 times. What should i do ?

Comments

• TonyHamTonyHam Member New Car Smell
    Nothing mate. CM are taking us all for mugs and if you check this forum there hasn't been any mention from anyone regarding a new patch. You bough t a duff game like the rest of us.
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    Moving to the technical assistance forum.
    @Zdvihlo344 - please could you provide us with some more information to help out:
    • Can you describe where the game fails to save, e.g. in the main menu, or after a race?
    • Does the game appear to save correctly,  but fails to load in your progress correctly, or is there an error when trying to save/load?
    • If you receive errors, please could you describe what these are?

• Zdvihlo344Zdvihlo344 Member New Car Smell
    edited January 30
    So this box pops up when I open game https://imgur.com/a/42sF3
    I had no problem with game for half a year. This problem started after last Windows Update. When i choose to continue without saving I can't save my game mid-seasson , in game menu there is no save button..
  • JakylamRibeiroJakylamRibeiro Member New Car Smell
    BOA TARDE DESCULPEM MINHA FALTA DE CONHECIMENTO... 

SOU LEIGO E NÃO ME ACHEI ATÉ AGORA NOS FÓRUNS...

MUDEI DE COMPUTADOR INSTALEI TUDO DE NOVO E MEU F1 2017 NÃO ABRE

ALGUÉM PODE ME AJUDAR
    edited January 31
    @JakylamRibeiro - please can you start a new thread for this, including your PC specs and details of what happens as you try to launch the game.

@Zdvihlo344 - please could you provide us with some more information and we will investigate further:
    • Please can you confirm what version of Windows you are currently running. To get this

1.       Press the Windows key on the keyboard
      2.       Type “winver”
      3.       Windows will open up a pop up box with the details, e.g. Version 1709 (OS build 16299.125)

Post edited by Hoo on
    Hello @Zdvihlo344. Please could you try creating a new Windows account using plain, unaccented letters and see if that makes a difference (e.g. "User123")? We've had issues in the past with handling of extended characters that might have re-emerged following the recent Windows update. Thanks.
    Hello @Zdvihlo344,
    We have successfully managed to load the save file you provided, so you should be able to recover it (Season 5 Race 10 of career). The issue seems to be related to an issue with Steam cloud sync (not related to Windows User Name). Please try the following steps to recover your save:

1.       Turn OFF cloud save syncing in Steam

• Right click F1 2017 in the Steam library
    • Select Properties
    • Select the updates TAB
    • Untick “Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for F1 2017”

2.       Close down your Steam Client – Very Important

3.       Navigate to the folder that contains the 515220 folder and rename this folder to “515220backup”

4.       Copy and paste your original 515220 folder back into this directory, including replacing the remote folder within the 515220 folder

5.       Restart the Steam client

6.       Launch the game. You should be able to access your old save

7.       When you exit the game, re-enable the Steam Cloud Save Syncing

Let us know if this solves your issue.

That last fix does NOT work. It works only when I create  that new Windows account with basic letters and switching accounts is not very practical...
    edited February 1
    @Zdvihlo344 - just to clarify, can you correctly get your old save to load if using a Windows User Name to use basic letters? If so, did this require you to also adjust the Steam sync settings as described in my previous post, or did you just need to use a simplified Windows User Name?

EDIT: Just to add, we have tried using your Windows User Name here and we were able to load and run your save fine using the above cloud sync steps, so we're not sure if the Windows User Name itself is an issue. 

I just used my new Windows account and it started working even without disabling steam cloud. I can load that old save without problem.
     But if I try to load game with my old account it is not working.

• steviejay69steviejay69 Member Race Steward
    I just used my new Windows account and it started working even without disabling steam cloud. I can load that old save without problem.
     But if I try to load game with my old account it is not working.

Then your old Windows profile is corrupt, not a Codemasters problem. This is a Microsoft problem.
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com 
    @Zdvihlo344 - where is your Steam directory located? Is it in the default location, on a separate drive, or perhaps under one of your windows user folders?

• steviejay69steviejay69 Member Race Steward
    As a general footnote to this, I would advise the folowing;

When creating new accounts, signing in with a Microsoft account creates a simple 5 character username based on the characters in the email. Therefore no complicated naming schemes, it also allows you to link your XBox profile to your PC (if you use the XBox email as a MS account).

Create a new account at Administrator privilege, it will run as a Standard User, don't mess with UAC, it's there to help you, not something to be "gotten around". Similarly don't use 3rd party 'Shut Up' tools, just deal with your privacy issues if you have them by making choices yourself based on your actual willingness to use a feature. Free use=handing of data, simples. You do it on your phone, why different here? (General question / advice, not specific to the OP.)

When installing programs, install for all users, this ensures that any other user accounts have access to the program (it can be configured in each user profile) without the need to install again.

You should not NEED to elevate program privilege, if it needs Admin rights, it should ask via UAC.

Do clean installs once in a while, especially if an upgrade is problematic or fails.

Above all, Keep It Simple. 'Vanilla' Windows works best, make changes only where you need to and for good reason. Use default options for install locations. 
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com 
    Hoo said:
    @Zdvihlo344 - where is your Steam directory located? Is it in the default location, on a separate drive, or perhaps under one of your windows user folders?

It is in default location C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
    @Zdvihlo344, here are some more things you could try. Make sure you backup any local game files before trying these!  

Check read/write permissions on your save file:
    • Browse to the save game folder and check the file permissions on the files to ensure that they aren't set to read only. 
    • Try writing over the save files with any other file to ensure that there are no write permission issues. The simplest way is to open them up with a text editor, add a character at the start of the file and then hit save.
    • If the write works, then try loading into the game. You save should be flagged as corrupt and you may be able to restore your Steam cloud save.

Check saving within the current game:
    • Load up the game and continue without saving when your intial load fails.
    • Go into your profile options and re-enable the autosave.
    • Enter a Grand Prix or Career session and try saving manually from the load/save mid-session option on the in-race pause menu
    • If either of the above saves work, try re-launching the game and see if you can load into it

Check saving on a brand new profile:
    • Reinstall F1.
    • Create a new career profile and see if this saves and loads correctly.

Check Steam installation:
    • Try a full reinstall of Steam.