Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

2018 McLaren, Renault & Redbull

UberGPUberGP Member New Car Smell
edited February 2 in World of Motorsport
I have prediction for 2018 McLarens are going to out perform redbulls!

I have couple reason for this prediction. one of the gurus behind rb6 is at McLaren! he joined late 2014 Mclaren has built 3 good chassis since 2015!  2013 and 2014 Mercedes got greedy stopped sharing engine specs to McLaren till the last minute because of this McLaren struggled with building competitive chasis! Reason for the divorce and lost some key personal to Mercedes. Also Renault is going favour Mclaren because of Redbull have been bad mouthing the Renault engine for years. Renault will try and make Redbull look bad and focus more towards McLaren because if McLaren shine this season looks good for the Renault business. So expect more DNF's from Redbulls and off track fireworks!   

Front suspension what Rebull and Ferrari use has been banned for 2018 Mercedes at it again!

Comments

• DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Pit Crew
    edited February 2
    I don't think Renault will just hang RedBull out to try. They need to remember that RedBull is the only team to have success with the power unit recently (Seb's Championships). I think McLaren will do well with the power unit. If the reliability goes up just a little bit they should be top contenders maybe even fighting RedBull in the constructors with the help of Alonso. I'm interested to see what happens. Where did you hear about the front suspension?
    I love racing. Going for the perfectly clean, well executed overtake is the best feeling. If I have to though, I might move you out of my way (no hard feelings).
    DiRT 4 Club: https://www.dirt4game.com/clubs/club/60578/team-colin-mcrae
  • UberGPUberGP Member New Car Smell
    edited February 2
    News and reddit! Mercedes want f1 go back to hydraulic suspension systems what got banned last year!

I'm interested to see what happens between Vestappen and Alonso at race starts should be very interesting season with Alonso Kimi Ricardo Vestappen battling for podiums mabye even Stoffel because i think hes extremely talented driver! 

• MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    I think McLaren is going to be the big story of this year. They need to be at least on a par with Red Bull to prove to everyone that it was the Honda engine that was holding them back. They've been going on about how good their chassis is the last couple of years, and now we're going to find out just how good it is.

If they aren't on a par, or even behind Force India and Renault, then that will be incredibly embarrassing for them. They need to be at least in the top 4 teams this year.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
  • JiggyJiggy Member Race Steward
    I very much dislike McLaren and therefore laugh at their misfortune every chance I get.

The only reason I don't right now, is because I really want to see Alonso in a competitive car again.
    Jiggy said:
    I very much dislike McLaren and therefore laugh at their misfortune every chance I get.

The only reason I don't right now, is because I really want to see Alonso in a competitive car again.
    Why don't you like McLaren? If you don't mind sharing.
    I love racing. Going for the perfectly clean, well executed overtake is the best feeling. If I have to though, I might move you out of my way (no hard feelings).
  • VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    edited February 3
    I can't speak for Jiggy but if it's anything like me; they're the most boring, cold and mundane team there is. They've a history of treating certain drivers like crap and they have an undeserved sense of arrogance for a team that has won no WCC in 20 years. 
  • UberGPUberGP Member New Car Smell
    MBKF1 said:

If they aren't on a par, or even behind Force India and Renault, then that will be incredibly embarrassing for them. They need to be at least in the top 4 teams this year.

Anything higher than last 3 years for McLaren will be a improvement! For this year mclaren  had to change more than half of car because Renault engine has uneven weight distribution to Honda and Mercedes engines. If toro rosso are last this year this will prove McLaren chasis was too good. if Toro rosso pull of Ross Brawn this season. Mclaren will destroy itself and team will go through alot of change within a year! 

I'm also interested how halo device will impact the field because added 15kg weight will be nightmare for engineering standpoint. also i wouldn't be suprised if one team finds loophole for the device another 2009 season? 

• MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    VetteIfan said:
    I can't speak for Jiggy but if it's anything like me; they're the most boring, cold and mundane team there is. They've a history of treating certain drivers like crap and they have an undeserved sense of arrogance for a team that has won no WCC in 20 years. 
    And just a single WDC as well.

Red Bull and Mercedes, two young teams that only began in 2005 and 2010 respectively, have ruled almost an entire decade of F1 between them, while the older established teams like Ferrari, McLaren and Williams have been in turmoil. It shows how brilliantly Red Bull and Mercedes have done to beat them, and beat them comfortably.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
    edited February 4
    Jiggy said:

Because I grew up on them as the main rivals to Schumacher and Ferrari.

No wait, first season I watched, it was Williams and Villeneuve. But I like Williams and always have liked them.

Anyway, unlike with Hakkinen (who I grew to respect to the point he's one of my favorites of all time) and Coulthard (him as a pundit is golden), McLaren remained unlikeable to me. They remind me of communism. They're so set in their ways with the stupid little rules and everybody towing the company lines and I'm pretty sure you had to cut your hair to a buzzcut if you joined them. Nothing wild. Squeaky-clean. They also present themselves as the morally superior F1-team on the grid, with the squeaky clean gentlemen-image, everything is so uptight and so micro-managed and so fake. It's not expressive. And they had a black-and-grey car. McLaren (and I hate this team) really was like a yer da's team. Maybe even yur grandpaw. As a kid, you just naturally oppose everything about them.

Not to mention you have Ron Dennis, who is like the biggest vacuum of charisma to begin with and he's basically the grouchy old neighbour who yells at the kids *GET OFF MY LAWN YOU PESKY RATS*.

Plus, they always act holier-than-thou, but McLaren always have been involved with shady stuff at the same time, so I can't stand the hypocrism and British fans can be annoying when they all back McLaren. I'd rather see Williams at the representative for British racing fans (although Mercedes feels more British than German tbh), a team with charisma and a likeable teamboss. And they have been involved in shady stuff, but they don't give af, they're just relaxed about it. Just don't mention the Senna-thing.

McLaren is cringy too. #BelieveInMcLaren
     How MAGA-esque is that hashtag, huh.

I hope this is coherent enough, I got a headache.
    Thank you for sharing. Sorry if I made your head explode. :D
    No biggie. I was sick, but I'm cool now.

Except for my neck.