Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

What F1 2018 could look like - T-cam & Onboard

So I made a video covering the halo mod for Assetto Corsa and thought that this is what F1 2018 could look like in terms of onboard gameplay of the T-cam and cockpit.

Do you think gamers will choose to race in cockpit from now on??

Thanks,
Riotbox (Jay)

Comments

• kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Team Principal
    edited February 9
    Why? it doesnt effect or hurt the driving when using Tcam.     
    Xbox one, controller
  • larryllarryl Member Co-Driver
    i actualy dont find it that bad on T-Cam
    F1-2017 Beta Tester - F1-2018 Beta Tester - League Driver - Thrustmaster T300 (F1 Ferrari Rim) - PlaySeat Evolution White - PS4 Pro - No Assists
    FRACTURED said:
    Most people won't switch to cockpit, it's too hard for them.
    I disagree that its too hard. What is the incentive? Acceptance from @lolschrauber? Unfortunately that might not be enough. Many just don't use it as they are used to what they have been offered for the past 9/10 years. Why would you want go backwards for a while taking time to adjust if you just play for fun?
    How about as an incentive, when they add a licensing system for online, you get higher rank points for running no assists, running cockpit as well as how clean you are, how high you finish etc.
    I would suggest everyone spend sometime in cockpit view. Not using it makes the player miss out on the sensations and the challenges of actually being inside the car and driving it. Tcam just has such a disconnected from the car feeling that certain sensations get lost driving in it. Its the difference of 1st person view and the 3rd person view in shooter games.
    Xbox one, controller
  • lolschrauberlolschrauber Member Race Engineer
    edited February 12
    FRACTURED said:
    Most people won't switch to cockpit, it's too hard for them.
    I disagree that its too hard. What is the incentive? Acceptance from @lolschrauber? Unfortunately that might not be enough. Many just don't use it as they are used to what they have been offered for the past 9/10 years. Why would you want go backwards for a while taking time to adjust if you just play for fun?
    How about as an incentive, when they add a licensing system for online, you get higher rank points for running no assists, running cockpit as well as how clean you are, how high you finish etc.
    Good joke. I guess that's why sooo many racers use cockpit (or helmet) camera in every racing game, unless it's F1 or similar fast open wheelers where they go for T-Cam. Yes, it's mostly the difficulty for most people. Too hard to spot the apex. That's it.

Not to mention, cockpit is a lot more fun.
    Does your life have a TV-Cam? No, it doesn't.
  • ilikefastilikefast Member Wheel Nut
    It’s really not hard to use cockpit. It’s just that you can see a lot more in t cam which in my opinion makes you faster. Some ppl think cockpit actually makes you faster
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion

I'll never understand why anybody cares so much about what optional settings everybody else uses in video games when it has absolutely zero effect on your own in-game experience.

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

Operator1 said:

I'll never understand why anybody cares so much about what optional settings everybody else uses in video games when it has absolutely zero effect on your own in-game experience.

It locks the game into a box of needing to be made much to far on the arcade side of gameplay if the majority of players play in an arcade way. 
    Xbox one, controller

kevinkirk said:
    Operator1 said:
      It locks the game into a box of needing to be made much to far on the arcade side of gameplay if the majority of players play in an arcade way. 

How does one optional configuration setting (that only affects a player's visual perspective) take anything away from other players who use different optional configuration settings?

#NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

• TAKIINOUETAKIINOUE Member Pit Crew
    kevinkirk said:
    Operator1 said:

It's never going to be a sim though, is it? I'm sure you have an idea how much those things actually cost. It makes me chuckle when people believe that £50 games are actually sims. Someone should tell Red Bull (and every other F1 team) that they wasted their money on their simulators, turns out they only needed a subscription to i-Racing...
  • lolschrauberlolschrauber Member Race Engineer
    TAKIINOUE said:
    kevinkirk said:
    Operator1 said:

It's never going to be a sim though, is it? I'm sure you have an idea how much those things actually cost. It makes me chuckle when people believe that £50 games are actually sims. Someone should tell Red Bull (and every other F1 team) that they wasted their money on their simulators, turns out they only needed a subscription to i-Racing...
    Yep, all professional racing teams with simulators are dumb. They could just play some of the "hardcore racing sims" you find on steam for example.
    Does your life have a TV-Cam? No, it doesn't.
  • dirt3joedirt3joe Member Petrol Head
    I spoke to someone in the know about this. Apparently the more expensive software allows greater in house configuration, so you get more access to the underlying code that allows you to modify it for your own purposes. The cost probably reflects the support requireed to do that. My guess is most racing teams don't run the standard shipped software, but patch in significant amounts of mods based on their car performance and internal knowledge of stuff like tyre modelling.

Even if you can mod the sim to make it reflect your car in a tiny bit more accurate than a mass market game then that proibably makes a purchase cost of tens of thousands worthwhile.

I also asked how good he thought the mass market games were (mentioning no names) relative to the actual cars performance and the answer I got was "pretty good".

TAKIINOUE said:
    kevinkirk said:
    Operator1 said:

currently the game isnt even on the same planet of worrying about it turning into a sim. The point of its never going to be a sim is light years away from even discussing it or mentioning it
    Xbox one, controller
    edited February 17
    Operator1 said:

kevinkirk said:
    Operator1 said:

How does one optional configuration setting (that only affects a player's visual perspective) take anything away from other players who use different optional configuration settings?

By spending the little time they do have to design the game focusing on those arcade options instead of improving the game's handling to represent actual driving. Think of it like,  If you invite a vegetarian over for dinner then your not going to spend the time cooking a steak for them to eat. That logic has always held the game back from improving and the need to improve it.    
    Xbox one, controller
    edited February 17

kevinkirk said:
    Operator1 said:
    kevinkirk said:
    Operator1 said:
     By spending the little time they do have to design the game focusing on those arcade options instead of improving the game's handling to represent actual driving. Think of it like,  If you invite a vegetarian over for dinner then your not going to spend the time cooking a steak for them to eat. That logic has always held the game back from improving and the need to improve it.    

I find it highly doubtful that including the option for a few different player camera/perspective positions takes anything substantial away from the resources available for handling/physics. I also find it highly unlikely that this game/series would have substantially better handling/physics if it only had 1 camera/perspective available.

• FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    What little time do they have though? They abandon support so quickly it seems they have 9 complete months to work on the game, on code, on correcting issues with the game engine prior to the next release. And that's assuming they don't start working on the following game straight after release.
    They have the new track to map out. Then from March they'll have most if not all this years cars ready to start building the in game assets. 
    Maybe they'll spend some time working out how to implement halo too.

If time is an issue, give yourself more time, either push out release date (they'd rather release a broken game than push back on release date), or throw more devs at it (oh no that costs money).

Failing that, work out if the current yearly release cycle is sustainable when its the same EGO engine shipped every year. 
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
    edited February 18
    guys, it isnt just one camera option and it isnt just one slider option. Its the whole game across the board, as a full game concerning every option, every slider, and how every option and slider behaves and functions. More players playing it as an arcade game means the game is going to be heavily on the arcade side of gameplay concerning how those sliders and options behave in the game.Been like that for years. That concept isnt exactly rocket science. The sliders and option in your game that you use, Is the exact same slider and options, behaving the exact same way, that i use. Right now those sliders and options are being made on planet arcade because, it seems most players playing it want a game of watching a onboard on tv rather than sitting inside a car and actually driving it. Im not trying to put those players down or judge if wanting a game like that is right or wrong. I'm just saying a games gameplay designed to be like watching a onboard on TV  and a games gameplay designed to be like actually being in and driving the car is two very differently designed games across the whole game. If you really want an example of pointing the finger at tcam itself, Until players in some kind of noticeable numbers begin to take a step away from things like playing in out of car views. Things like VR and so on isnt going to come to this game. As we see with other games, games need to be designed for VR itself and that means screwing up other cameras to do it with things like needing to cause them to be off center of screen, have focus issues, and driving issues. So yes, in order for these F1 games to have VR, then the other cameras, including the lovable tcam, is going to need to take beating to some degree  for VR to work with in the game.   
    Xbox one, controller