Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The DiRT World Championships

ChristinaMcChristinaMc Member, Codemasters Community Manager
Original post here: http://blog.codemasters.com/community/02/dirt-world-championships/ ‎ 

Surprise: we’ve just announced that the inaugural DiRT World Championships will begin next week! The brand new eSports championship gives you the opportunity to win a test drive in a stunning RX2 rallycross car in front of a huge crowd at Silverstone. The DiRT World Championships will climax with a huge live final at Speedmachine, the awesome new motorsport festival taking place at Silverstone over the weekend of the British round of the FIA World Rallycross Championship, in May. It'll also be streamed live on Motorsport.tv, our brilliant broadcast partners for the event.

Using the Community Events system in DiRT 4, you’ll have the opportunity to compete online in a mixture of rally and rallycross races to earn a place in the live streamed quarter-finals and semi-final to gain a place at Speedmachine. Details of the rounds, rules and how to take part can be found on the DiRT World Championships website: www.dirt4game.com/esports.

We’re working with pros to bring you the best championships possible, too. Remember how awesome the F1 Esports series was? Well, we’ve partnered with the same team at Gfinity again to bring you the same high-quality competitive experience for our DiRT championship.

This all sounds great, right? But we imagine you’d like to know little more about the structure and how it’s going to work – so let us fill you in. There will be six weekly qualifying rounds in total, with the first beginning on Monday, 19th February. Round One challenges you to set the best time in a two-stage rally in Australia using a Group A car. The top two times on each platform (PlayStation 4, Xbox and PC) will qualify for the quarter finals.

And because we love a quote, here’s one from Codemasters’ own eSports Manager Andy Gray: “We are delighted to announce the DiRT World Championships. DiRT has a vibrant, dedicated and highly engaged community so we believe that this is the perfect time to introduce an eSport element. Having the final at Speedmachine, in front of a live audience of motorsport fans, adds an incredible incentive. The fact that the winner will then be handed a chance to drive an RX2 car in front of a huge crowd on race day takes it to the next level.”

“We have enjoyed great success working with Gfinity on the F1 Esports Series so we look forward to continuing that relationship. We continue to work closely with our long-term partner, FIA World Rallycross Championship, and have also initiated an exciting new media partnership with Motorsport Network who will leverage its incredible reach to bring the tournament to a wider audience across Motorsport.com, Autosport.com, and Motorsport.tv.”

So, once more for those at the back: the DiRT World Championships qualifying rounds run from 12th February until 26th March! Successful racers will then go through to the quarter-finals , which will be streamed on 8th April, and the semi-finals on 22nd April. The final will take place live at Speedmachine and streamed online on Saturday 26th May. Players will require a RaceNet account (racenet.codemasters.com) to take part – so if by some miracle you don’t have one yet, make sure you’re all ready for Monday.

Good luck to those of you taking part – and remember: race clean, and stay DiRTy!

Post edited by ChristinaMc on

Comments

• LOSTVENGENCE96LOSTVENGENCE96 Member Unleaded
    This is good for like a few dozen people. But could the rest of us mortals get some more news.. Future plans of the game.. Some kind of game update about the physics.. A teaser for dlc to come etc etc..? Please?
  • ChristinaMcChristinaMc Member, Codemasters Community Manager
    This is good for like a few dozen people. But could the rest of us mortals get some more news.. Future plans of the game.. Some kind of game update about the physics.. A teaser for dlc to come etc etc..? Please?
    Hello! We're focusing on eSports in the immediate future, but as soon as we have more news to share, we will. :)
  • EvilsmurfEvilsmurf Member Race Engineer
    c. Attire Participants must wear appropriate attire at all times, including without limitation closed-toe footwear

Well that's me out then. I race in my socks! :D :D

Twitch: twitch.tv/evilsmurf76

Twitter: Evilsmurf76

Steam: Evilsmurf

PSN: evilsmurf1976

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    Awwww, no controllers in the finals! Well it's not for me, but its a pretty incredible opportunity for someone. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• Haris33Haris33 Member New Car Smell
    I have question here - will it be in ''simulation" or ''gamer'' difficulty? 
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Petrol Head
    Too bad I drive with steering wheel, no chance against gamepad drivers :(
  • Monkeyman707Monkeyman707 Member Unleaded
    Woo it's finally official. Been expecting this announcement for quite some time.
    I'm so excited to see the generated stages in competitive play, it just seems like a great fit

But man it starts in like a week. Gotta go get practising
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    SamRWD said:
    Too bad I drive with steering wheel, no chance against gamepad drivers :(
    Read the rules. Wheels and pedals only in the finals.

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• cjr3559cjr3559 Member New Car Smell
    Woo it's finally official. Been expecting this announcement for quite some time.
    I'm so excited to see the generated stages in competitive play, it just seems like a great fit

But man it starts in like a week. Gotta go get practising
    I’d rather see random never seen before stages in the Rally events.  The RallyX tracks are for practicing, but that’s just me.
  • Monkeyman707Monkeyman707 Member Unleaded
    Hang on. @ChristinaMc Is it meant to have already started on the 12th like the announcement (and rules) say or is it starting on the 19th like the main website and in game says (in which case the dates in the rules are all wrong)?

Also this is an unexpected rule: 
    "Each Driver can participate in each Qualification Event as many times as he or she chooses in order to beat their best recorded time"  I really thought it was going to be one attempt all or nothing. Kinda ruins the appeal of generated stages if you can keep trying over and over.
    And as pointed out automatic seems an odd choice, is there some manual hack that makes you faster which they are trying to avoid?
    Rallycross "Grid Order = random" oh boy the salt I can feel it now

• ChristinaMcChristinaMc Member, Codemasters Community Manager
    Hang on. @ChristinaMc Is it meant to have already started on the 12th like the announcement (and rules) say or is it starting on the 19th like the main website and in game says (in which case the dates in the rules are all wrong)?

Also this is an unexpected rule: 
    "Each Driver can participate in each Qualification Event as many times as he or she chooses in order to beat their best recorded time"  I really thought it was going to be one attempt all or nothing. Kinda ruins the appeal of generated stages if you can keep trying over and over.
    And as pointed out automatic seems an odd choice, is there some manual hack that makes you faster which they are trying to avoid?
    Rallycross "Grid Order = random" oh boy the salt I can feel it now

It's the 19th! Apologies, that was a typo. 

• LOSTVENGENCE96LOSTVENGENCE96 Member Unleaded
    Hello! We're focusing on eSports in the immediate future, but as soon as we have more news to share, we will. :)
    Officially lost all hope in this company, game and series. 
  • FerranisFerranis Member Unleaded
    E-Sports? Now? After single handingly destroying a once thriving community with zero support for the game for how long?