Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Can't play in any mode. No AI, no control over keyboard or pad

Today my F1 2017 game just gave up.  I was on carreer mode (FP1 in Spain) and when I select "Flying lap" the car just crash directly to the wall.  Nothing I can do.  I also tryed starting fro mthe grid but I can't accelerate from the pits.  All the other drivers also stop after exiting the pits.  In Gran Prix mode is impossible to start a race.  All the cars stay still and I can't do anything with the keyboard or my xbox one controller to move the car so everybody is DSQ.  Any suggestions?? I have reinstalled the game, verified them with steam and all remains the same.

Comments

• DanHawk1nsDanHawk1ns Member, Codemasters admin
    edited February 14
    Today my F1 2017 game just gave up.  I was on carreer mode (FP1 in Spain) and when I select "Flying lap" the car just crash directly to the wall.  Nothing I can do.  I also tryed starting fro mthe grid but I can't accelerate from the pits.  All the other drivers also stop after exiting the pits.  In Gran Prix mode is impossible to start a race.  All the cars stay still and I can't do anything with the keyboard or my xbox one controller to move the car so everybody is DSQ.  Any suggestions?? I have reinstalled the game, verified them with steam and all remains the same.
    Morning!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Are you able to try a different USB port? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the controller/USB port? 

Are your keyboard/Controller inputs being detected when you try to reassign a button in the controller setup screen (in game). It sounds more like a hardware issue, but without extra information it's hard to diagnose.

Cheers,
  • DevanMikaDevanMika Member New Car Smell
    Hi there,

I am having the same problem. Playing Career mode more than halfway into the season (now in Malaysian Grand Prix), when I exit the pits in any session (Drive out), the car moves into in a straight line, slows downs and gets stuck at the end of the pits. Same with all the other drivers. When I select 'Flying lap' the car just goes straight into a wall the moment it appears on screen, there's no red lights indicating that it's about to let me control it.

I have already lost all 3 qualifying sessions at the Sepang Circuit, Malaysia with this problem, EVERY car will be flagged as DSQ! It's the same with the race. All cars will just remain stuck on the grid, until everyone gets Disqualified.  I had to Accelerate time (F8 key) to get it to go to the end of each session (in Qualifying mode), and when it then shows Loading for the next session, the game crashes. I had to relaunch the game for EVERY qualifying session (Q1, Q2 and Q3), and the race. Now after multiple restarts, I have 'progressed' to Japan (I didn't run a single lap or qualifying or race in Malaysia, but got pole and a race win there despite the DSQ), and I don't want the same thing to happen in Japan where I don't get to drive a lap at all. The game worked fine 2 days ago, why did it break now? Has there been a patch or something?

Other observations :
    The accelerate function doesn't work. Not sure if Turn Left/Right or Brake works as the car isn't moving. Other keys (Escape, HUD to adjust settings) all work. Able to move around in menus without issues.

Same problem happens when I play a quick Grand Prix, with race only mode. All cars don't move off the grid. 

I tried running Validate Game option in Steam, didn't do anything.

My game is F1 2017 v1.11.
    Running on Windows 10.
    Controller is Keyboard. 
    Game has been running fine since I installed it about 1.5 months ago. Last worked fine 2 days ago. 

I have screenshots but can't attach to this post. If you need the dump files, I have them too.

Cheers
    Devan
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    So two people with the same issue? Any hardware in common?
    You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
    There were no hardware changes made to my computer. Same as it was two days ago when everything worked. It's a new computer and none of the other games I run have problems with any of the hardware.
    If no hardware changes then what about software? Windows update? Firmware update?

I don't recall seeing any issues similar to this previously.
    You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
  • Daniel2211Daniel2211 Member New Car Smell
    I have changed the usb ports, reinstalled the drivers for my K70 keyboard (corsair software), my xbox controller and the problem is still there.  
    The only thing I noticed yesterday is that windows 10 updated itself.  I will check if there is any other users with similar problems.
    DevanMika said:
    Hi there,

I am having the same problem. Playing Career mode more than halfway into the season (now in Malaysian Grand Prix), when I exit the pits in any session (Drive out), the car moves into in a straight line, slows downs and gets stuck at the end of the pits. Same with all the other drivers. When I select 'Flying lap' the car just goes straight into a wall the moment it appears on screen, there's no red lights indicating that it's about to let me control it.

I have already lost all 3 qualifying sessions at the Sepang Circuit, Malaysia with this problem, EVERY car will be flagged as DSQ! It's the same with the race. All cars will just remain stuck on the grid, until everyone gets Disqualified.  I had to Accelerate time (F8 key) to get it to go to the end of each session (in Qualifying mode), and when it then shows Loading for the next session, the game crashes. I had to relaunch the game for EVERY qualifying session (Q1, Q2 and Q3), and the race. Now after multiple restarts, I have 'progressed' to Japan (I didn't run a single lap or qualifying or race in Malaysia, but got pole and a race win there despite the DSQ), and I don't want the same thing to happen in Japan where I don't get to drive a lap at all. The game worked fine 2 days ago, why did it break now? Has there been a patch or something?

Other observations :
    The accelerate function doesn't work. Not sure if Turn Left/Right or Brake works as the car isn't moving. Other keys (Escape, HUD to adjust settings) all work. Able to move around in menus without issues.

Same problem happens when I play a quick Grand Prix, with race only mode. All cars don't move off the grid. 

I tried running Validate Game option in Steam, didn't do anything.

My game is F1 2017 v1.11.
    Running on Windows 10.
    Controller is Keyboard. 
    Game has been running fine since I installed it about 1.5 months ago. Last worked fine 2 days ago. 

I have screenshots but can't attach to this post. If you need the dump files, I have them too.

Cheers
    Devan
    Exactly the same problem mate, you described it better.  Hope we can find a solution.
    FRACTURED said:
    I haven't made any changes in hardware.  My computer has a 4770k with a 1080Ti and has been that way for months.  My controller is a Xbox One that works fine with other racing games.
    Morning!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Are you able to try a different USB port? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the controller/USB port? 

Are your keyboard/Controller inputs being detected when you try to reassign a button in the controller setup screen (in game). It sounds more like a hardware issue, but without extra information it's hard to diagnose.

Cheers,
    I have tried different USB, reinstalling my keyboard (Corsair K70) drivers and my Xbox one controller.  Nothing solves the problem.   When I try to reassign a button it works fine, If I disconnect the controller in the game it display the message that the controller was disconnected as it should.  DevanMika has described the problem in more detail.  Hope it can be fixed.
    It sounds like a new bug for sure, nothing has been updated on the game (there are a few guys who keep an eye on what is coming to steam, so usually we get a little heads up when a new build has been loaded).

@steviejay69 any recent Windows updates messing with games? 
    Troubleshooter extraordinaire
    edited February 14
    There's like one reddit post from a guy where the latest Windows 10 update has disabled the latest nvidia drivers but that was on a 970m laptop.

Roll back the windows update? I dunno mate sorry, xbox user with a little bit of tech support experience (a long time ago). 

There are some good guys around who can hopefully help if codies are having a wee midterm holiday. 
    FRACTURED said:
    I haven't made any changes in hardware.  My computer has a 4770k with a 1080Ti and has been that way for months.  My controller is a Xbox One that works fine with other racing games.

Can windows automatically update drivers? Check of the 1080 received a new driver?

Based on description of the issue sounds like something borked in the AI if they are stopping at end of pits too. AI controls car exiting pits, and at the start of the 'flying lap'.
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I'm struggling to comprehend why Windows Updates would mess with the AI of the game to the extent that not just myself but all the cars on the grid forget how to move. I did check and a couple of Windows Updates landed on my system yesterday, so I may look at removing those to see if that makes any difference. I personally doubt it will though. Will try it once I'm back home if there are no other better suggestions forthcoming. 

It's just bizarre because I never had a game AI break like this before. 
  • mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    Woah, that's a strange bug.
    So since you're on PC, did you try to verify the game files? Maybe some corruption happened somewhere, you never know. Scratch that, noticed the other guy trying it and with no solution.
    Also, is this on a specific track or it happens a few times? Does it happen only in Career? Scratch that, also noticed taht it happens in the different game modes.
    Seems like a VERY ODD AI issue. Looking from programming perspective, it's like some part of "programmed events" (in this case, like the race start "event" or exiting pits "event") don't trigger, which also don't "unlock" handling.
    Did you try using a different save file? Did you use any mods at all? In the worst case, have you tried to fully reinstall the game?
    [LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]
    edited February 15
    UPDATE: 
    I had some Pc parts gathering dust on my closet and built a second PC (3th gen i5, gtx 970) and installed windows 10 (built 1709) with steam.   I didn't let windows update, no reebots since it had internet connection and somehow...the game works just fine.  I can continue my career and play in any game mode.  I used my same Xbox one controller and my k70 keyboard.  Everything works just fine.  I will try to uninstall the most recent updates on my original PC and post the results tomorrow.

So...windows update may seem to be the problem here...(last update was KB4074588)
    How? I don't really know, but windows update was the only variable that changed since the problem started.
    mantazzo said:
    Woah, that's a strange bug.
    So since you're on PC, did you try to verify the game files? Maybe some corruption happened somewhere, you never know. Scratch that, noticed the other guy trying it and with no solution.
    Also, is this on a specific track or it happens a few times? Does it happen only in Career? Scratch that, also noticed taht it happens in the different game modes.
    Seems like a VERY ODD AI issue. Looking from programming perspective, it's like some part of "programmed events" (in this case, like the race start "event" or exiting pits "event") don't trigger, which also don't "unlock" handling.
    Did you try using a different save file? Did you use any mods at all? In the worst case, have you tried to fully reinstall the game?

I have never download or used any mods.  The game has been reinstalled a couple times. No difference. 
    Hello everyone,

This is so weird, but it looks like the Windows Update KB4074588 was the culprit. 

I removed it, restarted the OS, launched the game and everything was back to normal functionality wise. Haven't had time to run any proper sessions yet, but I did a some of the Suzuka lap and the car seems to work OK now. Will test more later to see if there are still any lingering issues.

@Daniel2211 Thanks buddy, your observation was spot on!
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Co-Driver
    edited February 15
    FRACTURED said:
    It sounds like a new bug for sure, nothing has been updated on the game (there are a few guys who keep an eye on what is coming to steam, so usually we get a little heads up when a new build has been loaded).

@steviejay69 any recent Windows updates messing with games? 
    Troubleshooter extraordinaire
    Windows 10 changelog doesn't have anything specific (these might impact on games, but they are now 'fixed' lol);
    • Addresses issue where, in certain hardware configurations, the frame rates of DirectX Games were unintentionally limited to a factor of the display's vertical synchronization.
    • Addresses issue that causes delays when switching keyboard languages using Alt+Shift.
    • Addresses issue where surround sound audio endpoints reverted to stereo after restarting.
    • Improves and reduces conditions where certain Bluetooth keyboards drop keys during reconnection scenarios.
    This is more general;
    • Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Windows Search component, Windows Kernel, Windows Authentication, Device Guard, Common Log File System driver, and the Windows storage and file systems.
    I have been kept busy enough lately with the Windows Updates messing with Windows, so if your patches installed without issue throughout Novemeber onward on FCU then I assume not. There was an issue with 3rd party AV that prevented updates from installing, so I guess most gamers do what I do and trust Windows Defender?

IIRC 381.13 is auto installed with FCU (since about early December) if you use nVidia but I run 388.71 (it has a definite bug that causes the GFE overlay to appear when you launch a modern app but otherwise seems OK)
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com
    F1 2017 Season 15 F8 Car: Haas Teammate: winchy33
    PC: i7-4770|8GB|RX480 8GB|Win10x64|T300RS/F1 Rim/G25 GTEye/G230 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig

• mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    DevanMika said:
    Hello everyone,

This is so weird, but it looks like the Windows Update KB4074588 was the culprit. 

I removed it, restarted the OS, launched the game and everything was back to normal functionality wise. Haven't had time to run any proper sessions yet, but I did a some of the Suzuka lap and the car seems to work OK now. Will test more later to see if there are still any lingering issues.

@Daniel2211 Thanks buddy, your observation was spot on!
    That's so strange. I think I've never heard of a bug like this, which happens AFTER Windows Update.
    If this continues, then CM might actually need to patch out the bug since it's game-breaking.
    [LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]
    UPDATE 2!!
    1. Uninstalled windows update KB4074588 and rebooted the pc.
    2. Launched Steam and F1 2017.
    3. Everything works perfectly.
    4. Shut down pc and update reinstalled itself LOL
    5.Hope there is another fix, patch or update that can prevent this to happen.  Uninstalling the update was a temporary solution...but there you go...

Thanks to everyone for your support and brainstorming