Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

FAO Codemasters, re: F1 2018

Hi,
for the record I'm a huge F1 fan and have been for 40+ years now.  I really loved F1 2017 and felt it was the best yet (for me the weakest so far was F1 2015 with no career mode)
I just want to say I enjoy your games and have bought every one so far, but PLEASE give us the option to remove the hideous HALO in F1 2018.
I only drive in cockpit view and I'm sorry but if I can't turn off the halo in the options then I will simply not buy it and continue to play F1 2017.

Please consider this request as I cannot be the only person feeling this way.

Thank you

Comments

• Gamefan56Gamefan56 Member New Car Smell
    F1 licensing will most likely not allow them to remove the halo. Same reason we don't have the other drivers switching teams in career mode.
  • RiggyRiggy Member, Drivers Unleaded
    I think that making it semi transparent to get around the lack of stereoscopic vision is the only thing they're going to do. They sure as hell aren't going to add VR support for it >_>
    100% Distance PS4 league: www.wheel2wheelracing.co.uk
    PC Specs
    : i7 4790 3.60Ghz | 16Gb HyperX FURY Black | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini-ITX OC | MSI H97I AC | Windows 7 x64 | Thrustmaster T300RS | Oculus Rift
    F1 2016 Beta Tester F1 2017 Beta Tester
  • mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    I think VR is out of the question, at least with this version of the game engine... Unless they manage somehow to make the game engine more effective. Not to mention they should focus first on bug reducing.

Now talking about Halo, I think it won't be seen in Cockpit cam mode - because technically IRL the stereoscopic (or however it actually is called) effect kicks in, and you can see things beyond (like you can see stuff in front of your finger when looking directly past it), so I think it will just be a clear vision.
    [LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]
    "First rule of Beta club is no talking about Beta club." - Faya, 2018

• pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    There’s no way it will be removable. Teams will sell that space for sponsor stickers, and if there are sponsor stickers on the car, that’s an area that practically cannot be touched by Codemasters. At least that is their reasoning behind the current damage model, where you can’t break things like the rear wing. Since those have sponsor logos all over
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Team Principal
    Rindt70 said:
    Hi,
    for the record I'm a huge F1 fan and have been for 40+ years now.  I really loved F1 2017 and felt it was the best yet (for me the weakest so far was F1 2015 with no career mode)
    I just want to say I enjoy your games and have bought every one so far, but PLEASE give us the option to remove the hideous HALO in F1 2018.
    I only drive in cockpit view and I'm sorry but if I can't turn off the halo in the options then I will simply not buy it and continue to play F1 2017.

Thank you
    The only way the halo will stop you from being able to drive in cockpit view is if you are using an incorrect driving position.  Either you sitting to high in the car or you are using to large of a FOV setting. Either way its still not as bad as driving lmp cars in other games.
    Xbox one, controller
  • Rindt70Rindt70 Member Unleaded
    kevinkirk said:
    Rindt70 said:
    Hi,

Thank you
    The only way the halo will stop you from being able to drive in cockpit view is if you are using an incorrect driving position.  Either you sitting to high in the car or you are using to large of a FOV setting. Either way its still not as bad as driving lmp cars in other games.
    I'm sorry but I find the damn thing hideous, it's one thing watching these silly things on real F1 cars, but I'm certainly not going to pay for a game that doesn't have the option to remove/hide the damn thing.

• scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited February 15
    I doubt VR support would help much anyway. Current VR kit still draws everything in sharp focus on screens that are a fixed distance from your eyes, so you still wouldn't be able to look beyond the halo like you'd be doing in real life.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
    Rindt70 said:
    kevinkirk said:
    Rindt70 said:
    Hi,

Thank you
    I'm sorry but I find the damn thing hideous, it's one thing watching these silly things on real F1 cars, but I'm certainly not going to pay for a game that doesn't have the option to remove/hide the damn thing.

Honestly I would be super surprised if F1,or the FIA, or who ever approves whats in the game will allow the halo to be removable any more than they would let the wings or what ever else we think is ugly on the car be removed. If it helps you enjoy the gameplay more then i hope they can put it in, but it seems like a long shot for that to happen. 
    Xbox one, controller
    I doubt VR support would help much anyway. Current VR kit still draws everything in sharp focus on screens that are a fixed distance from your eyes, so you still wouldn't be able to look beyond the halo like you'd be doing in real life.
    We already look past the things mounted on the nose like that mess on the redbull car in 2017. I dont know much about VR but as far as regular gameplay its no different than looking past a windshield wiper in other games.

Xbox one, controller
  • YeznikYeznik Member New Car Smell
    There's no way Codemasters can keep dodging the extra effort they need to put in to implement VR into F1 games.

I'm a F1 fan that refuses to buy any of the latest f1 games because Motorsport gaming sims evolved a few years back, and the F1 games got left behind in 2d.

Now the Halo has been implemented in real life F1, the game just can't operate in 2d anymore.

- You can't exclude cockpit view and call it a sim.
    - You can't exclude or make the halo transparent as it is a part of the chassis, covered in sponsers.

It's time for Codemasters to grow with the times and start selling modern simulators again, while they are still honoured with F1 rights. 
  • mceci1mceci1 Member Pit Crew
    Yeznik said:
    There's no way Codemasters can keep dodging the extra effort they need to put in to implement VR into F1 games.

I'm a F1 fan that refuses to buy any of the latest f1 games because Motorsport gaming sims evolved a few years back, and the F1 games got left behind in 2d.

Now the Halo has been implemented in real life F1, the game just can't operate in 2d anymore.

- You can't exclude or make the halo transparent as it is a part of the chassis, covered in sponsers.

It's time for Codemasters to grow with the times and start selling modern simulators again, while they are still honoured with F1 rights. 

They do have the cockpit view. As for the halo, I really doubt they will do that, because of as you stated, sponsorship reasons
  • martblokemartbloke Member Pit Crew
    mceci1 said:
    Yeznik said:

They do have the cockpit view. As for the halo, I really doubt they will do that, because of as you stated, sponsorship reasons
    Just a genuine couple of questions:

1) how many cars currently have sponsorship on the halo that is visible?
    2) If this is a reason for not allowingthe halo to be semi transparent, why are they allowed a graphic to cover it on their broadcast?
  • NickDahyNickDahy Member Pit Crew
    i think they may have an option for it to be transparent because in many of the previous F1 games they left off many of the antennas that used to be on the nose of the car in front of the driver.  That may have been though because they did not want to simulate them moving around.  I don't think the sponsor ship thing would be the issue, I think it would be the FIA having them there for safety and does not want to admit they look ugly.
  • AdamFreemanAdamFreeman Member Co-Driver
    Official game will have the halo. On a sky broadcast I heard Brundle say he had seen some 2021 designs and they still had the halo too so I doubt they wont put it in the game if it is to become the norm for the next 5 years or so. 

I really hope the shield comes back at somepoint in the near future the Indy cars version looks pretty sweet compared to an F1 car.