Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

ASSISTS

humbostonehumbostone Member New Car Smell
Sorry if this has been asked before. I currently use Medium TC and ABS for my assists but thinking of taking the next step to remove them. The question is, Does taking off both these assists make you faster? I know it takes practice to master but is it worth it? Can they both individually gain you lap time? I can consistently get at least top 5% in time trails on most tracks but can get no way get near the top guys. Is it worth the time to practice etc?

Comments

• ilikefastilikefast Member Unleaded
     Yes it does it’s also more exciting to drive when you use no assists
  • Rana230Rana230 Member New Car Smell
    I love playing f1 and every one that comes out seems better and better. I would like to see a few changes. Not so much offline, but I would like to see a few multiplayer changes. First of all setting up a room. I would like to see a minimum number of players to start the race. Some gamers that join, ready up when there's only 2 in lobby. Make it so that you can start game with a minimum of 2 or a minimum of 20. 2nd point :  I would like to see kudos for non contact. 3rd point : When creating lobby, I would like to be able to force cockpit view. I'm surprised that this feature is not available, as it is on dirt rally.
  • rbfan09rbfan09 Member New Car Smell
    abs+medium traction is still quicker than no assists depending on driver.

i drive without assists. I'm around 0.800 slower from top driver on time trail. i use controller i compete in 2 leagues one with assists allowed. players using abs have bigger advantage in heavy breaking zones can break alot later without risk medium traction can be stronger in wet and dry conditions depending on driver. 

I've tested assists few times. abs i shave alot of time on a lap because i can brake much later and harder without locking up. medium traction is about same as driving without. i can still keep my detla in the green.   
  • humbostonehumbostone Member New Car Smell

Hmm I was kind of hoping it was quicker without. Just so I took the plunge and went for it. I am still stuck if to go for it or not.......

• rbfan09rbfan09 Member New Car Smell
    From experience i would say turn off traction take few month to master driving without traction. You want try and be smooth as possible with the throttle. after realising brake you want to be on throttle should be no pause in between braking and get on power. for example trail braking into corner at apex you should be opening up throttle straight after braking by corner exit you should be 100% on throttle. if you breaking traction it means you to aggressive with opening throttle if you run wide on exits to much speed. if running short of corner exit means your lacking speed you want expoilt track as much possible every little mistake will cost you lap time.
  • lolschrauberlolschrauber Member Race Engineer
    edited March 11
    Honestly, what's the problem here?

You wanna use whatever is faster, like do better laptimes make people feel better about themselves? Seems like it, but it doesn't make much sense, because no assists take more skill, thus it's a greater accomplishment, which should make you feel better.

Best part of the game is hosting a lobby with all assists banned and see people rage quit 3 seconds after joining.
    Does your life have a TV-Cam? No, it doesn't.
  • ilikefastilikefast Member Unleaded
    edited March 11
    I'm pretty sure they nerfed med traction control
  • IvanoZ023IvanoZ023 Member New Car Smell
    I turn off ABS and Corner line. I'm slower about 2 seconds. It's pretty hard, I have to train a lot. Different style of driving. But I will be persistent.
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Team Principal
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I currently use Medium TC and ABS for my assists but thinking of taking the next step to remove them. The question is, Does taking off both these assists make you faster? I know it takes practice to master but is it worth it? Can they both individually gain you lap time? I can consistently get at least top 5% in time trails on most tracks but can get no way get near the top guys. Is it worth the time to practice etc?

its worth it because whats the point of being faster than someone else if your using assists to help you drive the car to achieve how fast you are. There isnt any honest enjoyment in that.
    Xbox one, controller

I thought I read somewhere that codemasters had a patch that slowed down the Med TC assist?

I am going to go for it I think. It's right I am only cheating myself!!! lol

• thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Co-Driver
    Up until yesterday the only assist I had on was full traction control. I changed it to no traction control and within 3 hours I began to post quicker laptimes than I did before. I feel like there is still much more potential laptime to gain, which is really exciting after not being able to improve anymore because my laptimes were almost as fast as you could get with full traction control. I’m so happy I made the switch because no traction controll is so much more fun!
    • Steering wheelThrustmaster T150 Wheel (Ferrari edition)
    • SeatingPlaySeat Revolution (Black edition)
    • Attended Events: Abu Dhabi 2016 GP / Hungary 2017 GP / Barcelona Winter Testing 2018
  • mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    I think that we might have reached a "good" (for comparison) balance of assists. Full TC is very easy, but slows you down a lot; Medium TC is easy enough, but slows down less than Full TC; no TC is a good challenge, and it doesn't slow you down additionally; ABS On helps with front tyre wear by not locking the tyres a lot (only sometimes a small bit) but it is not as fast as ABS Off. And of course, Manual gears are faster and more controllable than Automatic gears. I think the balance is pretty good now.
    [LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]
    "First rule of Beta club is no talking about Beta club." - Faya, 2018

• kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Team Principal
    edited March 13

I thought I read somewhere that codemasters had a patch that slowed down the Med TC assist?

I am going to go for it I think. It's right I am only cheating myself!!! lol

Even though TC might be running slower lap time. TC helped you drive the car and prevented you from making mistakes over the course of the race. Whereas its pretty much  hard to make a mistake with the throttle with TC, without it mistakes are super easy to make over the course of the race.  That makes a huge difference in the end result of the race. 
    Xbox one, controller
  • ZieonnZieonn Member New Car Smell
    I can go quicker with no assist over assist if that helps any... I would suggest learning the game without TCS first then no ABS next..
    edited March 13
    Body is required.
    Body is 40 characters too short.
  • Ho3n3rHo3n3r Member Co-Driver
    IvanoZ023 said:
    Body is required.
    Body is 40 characters too short.
    Congratulations! This is the most pointless post on the forum.
     Ha.ha,  that was a mistake. I could not delete it.

Zieonn said:
    I can go quicker with no assist over assist if that helps any... I would suggest learning the game without TCS first then no ABS next..
    Yeah I was thinking going down this route

• robin8frobin8f Member Unleaded
    Abs on is quicker than abs off. Medium traction control is about as fast as no traction control, but medium traction control is obviously much easier and saves you from mistakes where you lose traction and spin. But no assists is obviously the most fun, because you can completely control what the car is doing