Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

VR support in F1 2018?

thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Co-Driver
Does anyone know if VR support has been announced for F1 2018? I’m on the verge of buying the new thrustmaster Bluetooth led display (I’d expect this one to be supported for 2018 as it has just been released and it’s already supported on 2017) but would rather buy a PSVR instead (which will make the BT led display usless) if it becomes supported for F1 2018.

ps. Are any of you guys interested in the BT led display as well? And if you have it already I would love to know your experiences with it on F1 2017.
Post edited by thombrouwer90 on
  • Steering wheelThrustmaster T150 Wheel (Ferrari edition)
  • SeatingPlaySeat Revolution (Black edition)
  • Attended Events: Abu Dhabi 2016 GP / Hungary 2017 GP / Barcelona Winter Testing 2018

Answers

• Yuqu13Yuqu13 Member New Car Smell
    Quite tough to say that this is announced when they haven't announced a single bit of F1 2018...
  • thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Co-Driver
    Yuqu13 said:
    Quite tough to say that this is announced when they haven't announced a single bit of F1 2018...
    I thought they might have said something about it since last year I saw alot of comments from people who were unhappy with it not being supported on F1 2017.
    • Steering wheelThrustmaster T150 Wheel (Ferrari edition)
    • SeatingPlaySeat Revolution (Black edition)
    • Attended Events: Abu Dhabi 2016 GP / Hungary 2017 GP / Barcelona Winter Testing 2018
  • Yuqu13Yuqu13 Member New Car Smell
    Well, nothing can be said about this as long as they don't communicate :)
  • lolschrauberlolschrauber Member Race Engineer
    I kinda doubt they'll add it until we get a new engine
    Does your life have a TV-Cam? No, it doesn't.
  • IvanoZ023IvanoZ023 Member New Car Smell
    I think it will be. Only F1 does not have VR support 
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    They can barely draw 22 cars and a track at a steady 60fps as it is. Imagine if they had to draw all that twice, and at the 90fps required for VR.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • IvanoZ023IvanoZ023 Member New Car Smell
    They can barely draw 22 cars and a track at a steady 60fps as it is. Imagine if they had to draw all that twice, and at the 90fps required for VR.

You see 22 cars when you race? How? How do all other racing games have this support?
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Team Principal
    edited March 17
    Unless the process of adding that in has changed lately. With consoles involved, Its not just a matter of adding VR to a racing game. Adding VR to the game effects how the cars  are modeled and look in the normal camera views also. Which means it will cause things like camera views  to not be totally centered on a tv screen, dashes and steering wheels sometimes wont line up properly from one side of the car to the other and things like that for TV players. Thats why most of the cars in pcars 2 and AC are not totally centered on a tv screen if you really look at them and why GT has just one separate special mode for VR with very limited VR gameplay in it ..... I point that out because those games have a full range of camera adjustments allowing regular TV players to easily fix those issues adding VR causes and these F1 games do not have full range adjustments or USB keyboard support for camera adjustments. Just the range of a couple of clicks it does have isnt going to really help. I have to imagine regular players would throw a fit if they have to play in an off-centered or out of proportion Tcam or cockpit view that we cant fully adjust to fix.
    Xbox one, controller
  • mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    It's 20 + Safety Car, but still, the point remains. I just can't see game having proper VR with the current version of the EGO engine. I mean, even Dirt 4 didn't get VR, and it needs only 6 cars to show at max. Maybe new GeForce 20-series will have less trouble running it; or the engine will get a rework...
    [LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]
  • bisumarukubisumaruku Member New Car Smell
    VR would be great but i think it is not realistic that we get it
  • SneeksSneeks Member New Car Smell
    VR F1 would be great fun and a very welcome addition to the game.
  • UP100UP100 Member Pit Crew
    I kinda doubt they'll add it until we get a new engine
    I mean there was VR in Dirt Rally, but sadly it run on the old EGO engine, so it can't be ported to the "current gen" one. I think Codies' said somewhere that it costs too much money to have Day 1 in DIRT 4. Maybe it might come to F1 games someday, but it will cost to implement.
  • bporionbporion Member New Car Smell
    how is it that a Assetto has VR and its 4 years old ? what about Raceroom just got VR and it 5 years old ? I'm sure they can put it in F1 2018 if they want to . 
  • SwippyOGSwippyOG Member New Car Smell
    I would love to see VR on 2018! I work at a VR place. And we have a crazy racing setup with VR. And I would play F1 so much when I have nothing to do!
  • mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    bporion said:
    how is it that a Assetto has VR and its 4 years old ? what about Raceroom just got VR and it 5 years old ? I'm sure they can put it in F1 2018 if they want to . 
    Welcome to the game development - every game uses different "base" code, so it's nothing like "oh but it's in older game".
    ACorsa IIRC was based off gMotor game engine originally (engine of rFactor), currently - probably some custom made game engine, not sure; Raceroom is also based off gMotor game engine if I'm correct... The only racing games I know which have VR but are not based on gMotor are PCars series. Codemasters F1 games use their own gam engine, also known as EGO game engine - since 2015 the game uses an updated version of that game engine, which is being constantly improved still.
    Every game engine works differently with the resources they get - for example, rFactor (2) or Assetto Corsa don't require a good GPU since they're mostly CPU-bound, they don't have THAT many details to show on the screen at once, so they can have VR since they're not really giving Graphics card a lot of work. F1 2015-2016-2017, meanwhile, are both CPU and GPU dependent - CPU for all calculations, and GPU for showing a lot of details for that immersion - and I'm talking A LOT of details, even small ones (moving people in pits, moving crowd, flags, moving trees, pitboards, various 3D models, plus high-quality textures and stuff).
    Graphics card gets a lot of work with Codemasters F1 games (hence the graphical bugs on console versions, for example), and most of the time graphics card is fully used (easy to check on PC). For example, on highest graphics possible even Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti gives *only* 160 FPS on average on 1080p. That's pretty decent result, but could be better. Now, take VR - resolution is just a bit higher, BUT the video has to be drawn twice. And you need 90 FPS for it to look good. I highly doubt even 1080Ti would pull this off currently on Ultra. And let's not forget that not everyone has the best GPUs available (1080-1080Ti).

tl;dr - It would take too many resources from PC/console to try and do VR.
    BUT, if you have a decent PC (Geforce GTX 1080 at least), I think it's possible to try something like this, maybe it could work: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/VR-HMD-goggles-setup-----google-cardboard,-colorcross,-opendive
    [LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]
  • ReCo88ReCo88 Member New Car Smell
    My opinion is: no VR, no buy.
    It will be the first Codemasters F1 Game i dont buy when they are not able to get VR working.
    Then I will stay with Project Cars 2.
  • TigerFeetzTigerFeetz Member New Car Smell
    VR could be the difference between me purchasing and not.   Especially with the Halo...   C'mon the VR!
  • dirt3joedirt3joe Member Race Steward
    Difficult to do technically and hard to justify commercially.

It has the double negative in the respect that the platform that it probably most easy to justify commercially is the least powerful technically (PS4) and therefore the most difficult to implement .

Not going to happen on console until next gen IMO. Maybe on PC but unilkely  and even if they did then you would need a massive PC to get a great experience.
  • Yorke2112Yorke2112 Member New Car Smell
    I am definitely in the NO VR, No Buy camp. Now that I have gone VR, no way am I going back to flat screen monitors. Loved F1 2017 until I got the Oculus and then after that I was done with it until they add the support. I think F1 201? would be amazing in VR. 
  • Akkan74Akkan74 Member New Car Smell

I never used VR, so for me it doesn't matter if it's in for 2018 or not. But i can imagine it must be really cool to be "in the game". My concern about VR is i use a custom made F1 rim with lots of buttons and rotary switches, if i would use VR i could not see where the right button or rotary Switch is at the moment.

Maybe i get used to it after some time, but as i stated before i never tried VR. If i could match my rim into the game and i could wear gloves which represent "my" hands in the game, that would be cool. But i think thats far in the future.