Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

2018 Ripper Aussie Grand Prix

MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
New season, and I can't be bothered to make a detailed post about it because I have an essay due tomorrow and I haven't started it yet. Bugger me.
MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating

Comments

• JiggyJiggy Member Petrol Head
    Finish essay, use it as OP.

Priorities. Heard there was a slight chance of rain.
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Race Engineer
    Yeah according to AccuWeather right now, there should be a roughly 50% chance of rain for Quali and the Race. Haven't had a wet race in Australia since what, 2010? Could be fun. 
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

• couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    AMS97KRR said:
    Yeah according to AccuWeather right now, there should be a roughly 50% chance of rain for Quali and the Race. Haven't had a wet race in Australia since what, 2010? Could be fun. 
    90% chance of rain plus thunderstorms here tomorrow.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    Peak F1, Ricciardo has a penalty, good job F1, keep ruining the racing..... :weary:
  • VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    Hughesy said:
    Peak F1, Ricciardo has a penalty, good job F1, keep ruining the racing..... :weary:
    For speeding under red flags? That isn't a small offence and Ricciardo even admitted it. Sounds justified to me. 
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    I know it's a shame, but you can't not penalise drivers for speeding under a red flag. Rules are rules, you need to enforce them.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
    MBKF1 said:
    I know it's a shame, but you can't not penalise drivers for speeding under a red flag. Rules are rules, you need to enforce them.
    If there was a crashed car coming up then yeah, but it was a wire on the start line which the drivers wouldn’t be going past anyway. I know rules are rules, but it’s stupid when there’s no danger, stuff like this really turns me off of F1. A slap on the wrist or penalty point would have  sufficed.
    edited March 24
    Bottas goes hard into the wall Q3 red flagged.

No times set.
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

Shows that Mercedes had their engine turned down in Q1 & 2, looks like its going to be another borefest. Hope not.
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    Hamilton over half(!) a second faster than the rest and Bottas is still useless.

Call me as soon as the current **** engine regulations change.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
    I'd like to be the first to congratulate Lewis on his 5th world title, incredible stuff. #Blessed #SilverSeason

I loved the press conference after, the needle between Seb and Lewis has started already.
    @AMS97KRR Giving up already? Hilarious.
  • GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Champion
    It's funny how people mention Mercedes's Q3 mode all the time, yet it's Ferrari who gain an equal if not even bigger amount of time between quali-sessions.

Btw, **** poor weekend so far from Vettel. I fully expect him to be waved past either by his team or by Kimi screwing up tomorrow, but so far he has been far from where he should be.
    edited March 24
    Hughesy said:
    I loved the press conference after, the needle between Seb and Lewis has started already.
    @AMS97KRR Giving up already? Hilarious.
    There's a small chance that he can be beaten if the race pace is good enough from Ferrari/RBR, but I'm not hopeful. We are closer to 2016 territory here than 2017 looking at the quali times. I just can't see Mercedes somehow losing all that time in the race, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Plus if he's getting pole at every race, which he will unless the Mercedes is ill-suited to the track, then he's already got his foot firmly in the door because of his engine advantage in a straight line, as we saw last season. 
    And Bottas isn't a Rosberg either, so it's just going to be an uncontested snooze fest IMO. And quite possibly it could be similar until the engine changes kick in around 2021. Hopefully I'm completely wrong of course. 

• Chadwick8505Chadwick8505 Member Wheel Nut
    The single lap pace of the Merc is always concerning. It's too early to say Ferrari or RB have no shot. From practice it seems like the Merc is really hard on the tires (even worse than before) which might even things out during the race. 

Its early. Is Lewis the clear favorite? Absolutely (like he usually is). But let's not go down the writing everything off before it happens path just yet. I still remember last year all the Hamilton fans saying there's no hope he could win the championship... so you never know until you know. 
    edited March 24
    The single lap pace of the Merc is always concerning. It's too early to say Ferrari or RB have no shot. From practice it seems like the Merc is really hard on the tires (even worse than before) which might even things out during the race. 

Its early. Is Lewis the clear favorite? Absolutely (like he usually is). But let's not go down the writing everything off before it happens path just yet. I still remember last year all the Hamilton fans saying there's no hope he could win the championship... so you never know until you know. 
    That could indeed make things interesting if they are hard on the tyres, as they are much softer this year. Sort of like how the 2013 Red Bull was quite tame until the tyre change (Although still leading the championship), and then after the change to harder tyres, Vettel won every race after Hungary. 

And I think Lewis fans writing him off last year was more naive than my own prediction, you don't come off of the back of 3 years of complete and utter domination and then stand no chance, even if there was a bit of a regulation change in the aero department, Mercedes had the best engine and time to deal with the change as they faced no opposition in 2014-16. People forget, the only reason McLaren and Ferrari struggled so much in 2009 for the first half of the year was because they were locked into a development race over 2008, meaning they compromised 2009 on purpose.

Newey said it himself recently in reference to Mercedes, when you've got such a big advantage in one area, be it Chassis or Engine, you can allocate more resources to your weaker area and it snowballs from there, the rest of the pack are playing catchup until 2021, which I imagine is why Newey has stepped down (Or was it "stepped back" ? I'm not sure he's actually left the team, I can't recall). He can't do anything about the average Renault power unit, and his chassis is already great, what is there for him to do until they shake it up again?

All will be revealed tomorrow anyway, with any luck the Mercedes wont be quite so great in the race. If not, it's going to be a long season. 

One thing I'd forgotten to say is that Mercedes seem very pleased with reliability, another aspect where they may well have the upper hand again, just as we saw last year.

@VetteIfan That's exactly what I just said to @RevolvingPrawn whilst we were racing just now.
  • inspiretheworldinspiretheworld Member Petrol Head
    Watching practice and the Mercedes looked deadly going around corners. Very tail happy, but obviously crazy fast. If they can control that they will walk this season. 
     Redbull looked extremely planted and that Sauber is terrible. 
    Pleased that Haas have went a massive step forward. Lets hope they carry it through the rest of the season. Also I bet Williams are kicking them selves now not having Kubica. 
    PS4 - inspiretheworld
    Steam - beans_on_toast