Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

safety rating system for F1 2018

just thought i would let you guys know that hopefully we could have a safety rating or ranking system for F1 2018 on multiplayer races just like on iracing and project cars 2  after just being on F1 2017 we have way to many drivers that just want to spoil people's races crash into them for no reason and just be stupid ive even seen people drive backwards on some races 

Comments

• Akkan74Akkan74 Member Wheel Nut
    edited April 16

I didn't know iracing or pc2. How does it works?

I don't know anything about coding but i think it is not as easy as some people think. The game has to detect first if it is a normal race accident or rude behavior. Is it the fault of the car in front (e.g. break testing) or behind. for the car behind it should be also considered if it's on purpose or due to a lockup.

If there is a way to cheat the game decision, people will find it out and will force you into a bad reputation.

I think a reputation system will need a lot of testing before Launch.

• larryllarryl Member Co-Driver
    i would love it if they implement a system like GranTurismo (havent played pc2 or iracing)
    A ranking system wich is in two ways:
    1-Ranking on rating with how good you are
    2-Ranking on how fair you are

A few hours in the MP and you will never have those **** who play bumper cars.
    F1-2017 Beta Tester - F1-2018 Beta Tester - League Driver - Thrustmaster T300 (F1 Ferrari Rim) - PlaySeat Evolution White - PS4 Pro - No Assists
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    They could very well do with something that ranks similar class racers together. Lap times and cleanliness rankings would be great for more competitive racing by personal skill and how well they race. I too get annoyed by being smashed from behind. But again you'd need a quite complex system I'd imagine? The amount of times I have been penalised for being hit from behind that caused me to go into someone else, I wouldn't want a bad ranking for someone else's bad driving.
    Worst was being PIT spun and hit someone else head on facing wrong way and got a penalty for it.. Though that was before I learned to counter those forced spin outs. How good is the iRacing and PC2 system for this?
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • CmdrCodyCmdrCody Member Wheel Nut
    There are 2 main strategies for safety ranking:
    1. Penalize everyone involved in a collision equally
    2. Penalize only the person who is at fault.
    Strategy 1 is easy to implement and can lead to a fair ranking in the long run. New players who want to gain a high safety rank will, however, need to be very cautious in the early ranks to avoid idiots, otherwise it will take very long to progress. iRacing uses this.

Strategy 2 is indeed hard to implement and requires a lot of balancing. Gran Turismo Sport is close to perfecting this. People who push from behind tend to get the time penalties and safety rank reductions, while people who get rammed from behind don't get any penalties. This is the better system, but it's hard to get right.

• MicheMai51MicheMai51 Member New Car Smell
    The only way to decrease the possibility of finding this type of pilots is to make an algorithm that puts you in the room with pilots who have a rankling similar to yours. But I do not think we can solve this problem.

There are many online forums that organize championships and competitions, where you can compete without being thrown out at every turn. I think this is the only way.
    MicheMai51
    F1 2018 Beta Tester
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    CmdrCody said:
    There are 2 main strategies for safety ranking:
    1. Penalize everyone involved in a collision equally
    2. Penalize only the person who is at fault.
    Strategy 1 is easy to implement and can lead to a fair ranking in the long run. New players who want to gain a high safety rank will, however, need to be very cautious in the early ranks to avoid idiots, otherwise it will take very long to progress. iRacing uses this.

Strategy 2 is indeed hard to implement and requires a lot of balancing. Gran Turismo Sport is close to perfecting this. People who push from behind tend to get the time penalties and safety rank reductions, while people who get rammed from behind don't get any penalties. This is the better system, but it's hard to get right.

Strategy 1 was used in older F1 games with experience. They could probably port the system to F1 2018 and make changes that it drops your safety ranking. Strategy 2 might be too time consuming.
  • pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    But you can't use strategy 1 because the main problem is crazy people crashing into other drivers.. That would be penalizing drivers for not jumping out of the way of lunatics. A lot of the time, the dangerous people aren't trolls who deliberately want to ruin others racers. Quite often there are people who are fast and competitive but just don't know how to race. They think they are being "harsh but fair" but realistically will just run you off the road when you are passing on a straight. These people will take advantage of a strategy 1 system because if said fast but reckless driver is first, and a fast clean driver is 2nd, if the clean driver tries to pass, reckless driver will just cause an incident and make both of them suffer. Consequently clean racers will need to be even more careful trying to pass such drivers..
  • CmdrCodyCmdrCody Member Wheel Nut
    edited April 19
    @pijin: You're right, Strategy 1 has the flaw that it can be abused by jerks who drive clean 95% of the time but use very dirty tricks to defend or gain positions once in a while. However, Codemaster's F1 has a fairly realistic collision and damage physics model in which, like in real F1 racing, collisions are a major risk for everyone involved, so a jerk who tries to use dirty tricks once in a while probably won't consistently have success with such tactics.

Although Strategy 1 isn't perfect, it's a good way to rank people's driving etiquette and then use that ranking to match-make players with similar etiquette. Since it's relatively easy to implement and can make online racing a lot more enjoyable for most players, I hope that Codemasters will attempt to implement some form of safety rating system for F1 2018.
  • pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    Fair enough. I guess with enough races, it'll eventually balance out. Hopefully something like this is implemented soon, though I foresee many bugs in the system causing people to be needlessly promoted or demoted.
  • EiersmijterEiersmijter Member New Car Smell
    This. We need. Right now. Codemasters? Please.
    Driver in M1RL and ORC F1 racing leagues. 1x winner in M1RL. In a love-hate relationship with the F1 games since 2016.
  • speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Team Principal
    For sure some way has to be found to combat these idiots,maybe we need something as a stop gap for specifically sprint mode in the meantime,For sure damage needs to be off(no idea why it's on in sprint mode) and maybe you could just ghost all cars for the opening lap to combat all the **** that don't break into turn one,that would separate the wheat from the chaff,then after that drivers must use there own skill to avoid any one that might wait a lap down and you would get the race results determined by pace and skill more often then not.
  • OldManNuukOldManNuuk Member New Car Smell
    edited April 20
    scotty99 said:
    just thought i would let you guys know that hopefully we could have a safety rating or ranking system for F1 2018 on multiplayer races just like on iracing and project cars 2  after just being on F1 2017 we have way to many drivers that just want to spoil people's races crash into them for no reason and just be stupid ive even seen people drive backwards on some races 
    Dirt 3 had traffic light system a to tell the difference from the clean and not so clean drivers. would that not be any better or easier option to start with in the short term?
    Mighty Greenlanders
  • PatrickoPatricko Member New Car Smell
    Penalty system, after 8 years is still laughable... No matter if you hit someone or someone hits you, you get penalty points for your safety ranking... The best way to increase it is to be the best at the front and run away from destruction derby kids or stay away at the back and just drive to finish without touching anyone... 

Code"masters" at it's best... My god online in this game is just ridiculous.