Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Micro stuttering

Dez0808Dez0808 Member Wheel Nut
Hi

I have recently had issues with micro stuttering with f1. I have never had issues before with any of the games in the series. I have searched for other cases and people seem to be having the issue but with lots of different solutions none seem to work for me. Is anyone else still stuck with this issue  

Comments

• steviejay69steviejay69 Member Co-Driver
    Dez0808 said:
    Hi

I have recently had issues with micro stuttering with f1. I have never had issues before with any of the games in the series. I have searched for other cases and people seem to be having the issue but with lots of different solutions none seem to work for me. Is anyone else still stuck with this issue  
    Probably almost everyone who has ever had it, it’s a yes from me. 

It goes from bad to worse then back to barely noticeable then back again. 

For me you get it running Ok then there’s an update or driver and it’s all off kilter for a bit. 

It affects drivability for me with wheels not behaving consistently or the stutter making driving very difficult if not impossible.

Multiplayer is worst.
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com
    F1 2017 Season 15 F8 Car: Haas Teammate: winchy33
    PC: i7-4770|8GB|RX480 8GB|Win10x64|T300RS/F1 Rim/G25 GTEye/G230 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig

• Razer12hopRazer12hop Member Pit Crew

This issue was present in 2015, 2016 and 2017. In multiplayer I have it when I host a lobby and a player leaves the lobby. It gets worse when more people leave the lobby at a point its unplayable and have to exit the game. Friends have exactly the same issue so its not my pc.

@faya Could you please commit on this issue.

• Dez0808Dez0808 Member Wheel Nut
    It's that it's a major problem for me and I only play single player that makes it more annoying  The game is unplayable  and I am pretty sure the problem only started since the last update. 
  • FayaFaya Member admin

Hi all,

Please remember, that while I will try to respond to things as quickly as I can, I do sometimes need to do a little investigating and talking to the team before I can respond. Depending on the issue and who I have to speak to may affect how long this takes.

Hi @Dez0808, Could you let me know what platform you’re on please? If you’re on PC, do you have anything else running on the PC while you are playing? Is there a particular point of the game the stuttering is happening at?

As always, if you can give me any extra information it would be most appreciated. Many thanks,

@faya This issue has been around for a few years now. This has also been mentioned many times. I also gave the feedback to reproduce it many times. I have never seen any feedback back from codemasters what they plan to do about. So this issue must be known in your team.

So what is the status for solving this issue?

edited April 28
    Hi Faya

Thanks for getting back. Yes I play on Pc. Windows 10. Nothing running on Pc but f1 and steam. The stutter seems to be on the same corners of a lap. For example in Russia it is the final sector. Nearly every corner stutters. The screen will freeze and the audio stutters then roughly 0.5 to 1 second later the game will unfreeze but its like it has carried on. What I mean by that is the screen will freeze as you enter a corner but when it unfreezes I have missed the apex (moved in straight line for the 0.5 to 1 second freeze) and have to come to stop to avoid crash. If I flash back it makes no difference the freeze occurs at the same point. Changing graphic settings and screen refresh has no effect.

Thanks for looking into this 

Bit of an update. A new version of nvidia drivers came out and after upgrading its now running much better. Only get stuttering when crossing the start finish line now 
    Dez0808 said:
    Bit of an update. A new version of nvidia drivers came out and after upgrading its now running much better. Only get stuttering when crossing the start finish line now 

I had that, it's storage access time (or caching). Went away after I got an SSD instead of a hybrid SSHD.

PC: i7-4770|8GB|RX480 8GB|Win10x64|T300RS/F1 Rim/G25 GTEye/G230 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig

Got to the bottom of it. Seems its steam loading in big picture mode automatically. By leaving my xbox controller out and loading the game. Then only connecting it when reach intro video it completely solves it. Annoying but glad I can play the game again now 
    Dez0808 said:
    Got to the bottom of it. Seems its steam loading in big picture mode automatically. By leaving my xbox controller out and loading the game. Then only connecting it when reach intro video it completely solves it. Annoying but glad I can play the game again now 
    What when you don't use Steam big picture mode and you don't have a controller other than the keyboard and your wheel?

Not sure. Are you sure steam is loading into big picture mode. It is only when you load the game. I found a setting to switch it off in the end. There was a setting saying something like if a controller is connected load steam overlap as big picture. 
    Dez0808 said:
    Not sure. Are you sure steam is loading into big picture mode. It is only when you load the game. I found a setting to switch it off in the end. There was a setting saying something like if a controller is connected load steam overlap as big picture. 
    No what I meant was that if you don’t have a controller or load big picture and you still get stuttering then it’s not Steam big picture that is the issue.

Plenty of us don’t have a controller, FYI I have set that option as off regardless and stuttering still occurs.

Hope this helps.

• FayaFaya Member admin
    edited May 10

Hi @Dez0808 and @steviejay69, thanks for your posts! I’ve fed this thread back to the team.

Hi @Razer12hop, as I said in my Out of Office post, I’ve just been away for a week, and therefore going through a backlog from when I was away.

Faya said:

Hi @Dez0808 and @steviejay69, thanks for your posts! I’ve fed this thread back to the team.

Hi @Razer12hop, as I said in my Out of Office post, I’ve just been away for a week, and therefore going through a backlog from when I was away.

@faya you still haven't answered my question. The stuttering issue has been present in 2015, 2016 and 2017. What did you guys do so far to solve this issue?
  • FayaFaya Member admin

Hi @Razor12hop,

Looking back through the documentation, I can see in that the team has fixed a few issues that has caused stuttering in the past. Stuttering can be caused by a number of things though, some we can help with, some that are outside of our control. For example, the OP here has changed some settings and updated their graphics driver and they are no longer seeing it. Others are still seeing a problem, so I’ve taken all the information from this thread to the team for them to look at and investigate. As always, any information you can give me about the issue you are seeing will be most appreciated and helpful.   

• Far1anFar1an Member Unleaded
    Hi @Faya ,

during league racing F1 2017 some people always complain about micro stuttering since game release.
    Sometimes - online ! - it is caused by players leaving the lobbies during races. But not possible measuring it by the number of players left...but the more players left the lobby the more it is possible of the micro stuttering to begin.

The other guy had these issues since the release. He tried updating all drivers, turn V-synch off and on.
    Adjust the FPS, delete and redownloading the game itself, but nothing helped.
    He had the feeling the more patches were released the stuttering got worse.

Maybe that can help on finding an issue there.
    If necessary I can get more information concerning system set up etc.
    I have been much happier going from green to red. Not saying that AMD have zero driver issues but they are released at a less frantic pace than Nvidia’s

Driver frame rate capping does not always work in the AMD driver mine is set to 142FPS as my monitor is 35-144 Freesync with LFC. I see frame rates over 300FPS in loading screens and low FPS (as low as 8FPS) in some cutscenes, notably podium but mostly 36FPS.

Both integrated recording tech impact this game (GFE & ReLive), I now use OBS

Playing different game modes before online doesn’t seem to work well.

Players disconnecting and reconnecting to sessions cause issues.

The game does not detect and set appropriate in game graphics settings as the card detection is too wide a band.

These are anecdotal observations that could be backed up by hardware telemetry during the beta program. 

I would happily share such telemetry as part of the beta. Ask and I will provide you anything.