Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

"Look To Apex" needs a drastic overhaul.....

LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Petrol Head
F1 2017's "Look To Apex" function:

------------------------------

PCars' "Look To Apex" function:

Helmet Cam:

For F1 2018 onwards the "Look To Apex" feature seriously needs a drastic overhaul imho, especially as the competitors do a much better job at emulating the "Non-VR" as well as the "VR" experience respectively.

Seeing as most people very likely do not own nor plan to buy a VR or TOBI device, for various reasons, the ingame camera settings need to be much better organized and open to more customization due to the new "Halo Safety Bar" that has been standardized in this years F1 regs and more importantly to make the experience much more realistic and fun to enjoy.

In other words, having a "Look To Apex" function that works similarly to the one of "Project Cars", having a "Helmet Cam" feature and having more and a wider range of "x,y,z - values" in the camera settings to play around with, is going to be paramount for cockpit users to get the best and most realistic experience without having to pay another 100 - 800 bucks on a accessory device that pretty much costs around as much as the gaming console itself.

A variety of different options to choose from are key.

PS: A mere "on / off switch" for the Halo is not only lazy, but lacks in creativity and officiality as well, imho.

Also, if a "opacity slider" was implemented, it should only be accessible for the cockpit and or helmet cam and it's function should be limited to only making the front middle bar get slightly blurred out not the whole "Halo" as the sides and the view to the mirrors are not affected by it.

PPS: For those that do have the privilege to be proud owners of a VR and or TOBI device, having VR implemented into F1 2018 onwards is going to be a major selling point tbh, so it's very interesting to see what "Codemasters" have got to offer.

My 2 questions to Codemasters / @Faya / @jennyannem / etc.:

1. What measures have you taken to work on this "issue" ("Look To Apex" function / "Helmet Cam" / Wider "X,Y,Z values" in the cam settings / "Halo - Opacity - Slider" etc.)?

2. If not for F1 2018, are we ever going to get these proposed features at all or is this "too time consuming" / "too costly" for your "small" company?

Just Curious.

Post edited by LilBrown47 on
Take the "Black Pill".....

#NukeHumanity
Tagged:

Comments

• mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    edited May 11
    Now, I don't want to sound rude, but can anyone post a tl;dr version? I did read until about half, but then I just scrolled down since there were even more videos and such.

Quick EDIT: I looked through the post a bit more and it seems after halfway the OP went off-topic and it derailed from camera options and such to off-topic like Vettel's gloves. I mean, you stick to stuff you write in your title...
    [LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]
    "First rule of Beta club is no talking about Beta club." - Faya, 2018

• kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Team Principal
    even thou i use it, the look to apex in pcars 2 starting looking to fast and to soon before you reach the corner to turn in. The thing i like about the helmet view in pcars 2 is the way i can make it tilt to the side giving me the effect of tilting my head into corners. Also in that first video with the williams, unless they are playing on  tv the size of a movie theater screen, they seriously need to fix their FOV settings. The halo isnt going to let players use a crazy unrealistic, ultra wide FOV like that anymore.   
    Xbox one, controller
  • UP100UP100 Member Petrol Head
    -Are we finally getting Vettels "Black Gloves"?
    Codies offered to make the change, but weren't allowed to.
  • CavSTiagoCavSTiago Member Race Steward
    F1 2017's "Look To Apex" function:

PCars' "Look To Apex" function:

Helmet Cam:

For F1 2018 onwards the "Look To Apex" feature seriously needs a drastic overhaul imho, especially as the competitors do a much better job at emulating the "Non-VR" as well as the "VR" experience respectively.

Seeing as most people very likely do not own nor plan to buy a VR or TOBI device, for various reasons, the ingame camera settings need to be much better organized and open to more customization due to the new "Halo Safety Bar" that has been standardized in this years F1 regs and more importantly to make the experience much more realistic and fun to enjoy.

In other words, having a "Look To Apex" function that works similarly to the one of "Project Cars", having a "Helmet Cam" feature and having more and a wider range of "x,y,z - values" in the camera settings to play around with, is going to be paramount for cockpit users to get the best and most realistic experience without having to pay another 100 - 800 bucks on a accessory device that pretty much costs around as much as the gaming console itself.

A variety of different options to choose from are key.

PS: A mere "on / off switch" for the Halo is not only lazy, but lacks in creativity and officiality as well, imho.

Also, if a "opacity slider" was implemented, it should only be accessible for the cockpit and or helmet cam and it's function should be limited to only making the front middle bar get slightly blurred out not the whole "Halo" as the sides and the view to the mirrors are not affected by it.

PPS: For those that do have the privilege to be proud owners of a VR and or TOBI device, having VR implemented into F1 2018 onwards is going to be a major selling point tbh, so it's very interesting to see what "Codemasters" have got to offer.

My 3+ questions to Codemasters / @Faya / @jennyannem / etc.:

1. What measures have you taken to work on this "issue" ("Look To Apex" function / "Helmet Cam" / Wider "X,Y,Z values" in the cam settings / "Halo - Opacity - Slider" etc.)?

2. If not for F1 2018, are we ever going to get these proposed features at all or is this "too time consuming" / "too costly" for your "small" company?

3. Here are some additional "off-topic" and merely "aesthetic" questions, but speaking for the sake of "realism" and "officiality":

-Are we finally getting some actual driver leg protection in the cockpit?

How it looks in the game:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2017/08/vlcsnap-2017-08-24-22h34m17s912-720x405.png

How it should look like:

https://www.racedepartment.com/attachments/bull-foam-jpg.185190/

-Are we finally getting Vettels "Black Gloves"?

How it looks like in the game:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RFINYi-IF4s/maxresdefault.jpg

How it should look like:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iuuzMv8D7LA/maxresdefault.jpg

-Are we finally getting the correct steering wheel size aspect ratio for Sauber?

F1 2017 footage and size of Saubers steering wheel proportions:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SchJizrnqzY/maxresdefault.jpg

Original footage and size of Saubers steering wheel proportions:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/t1lTQ0d19rI/maxresdefault.jpg

-Are we finally getting the MFD displayed inside the steering wheel to make cockpit and or helmet cam driving much more realistic and immersive?

https://www.racedepartment.com/attachments/mclaren-steering-wheel-jpg.190018/

-Are we finally getting the teams main sponsors, our names and our numbers displayed on top of our custom driver helmets in career mode etc.?

Look at 7:40 onwards to see the result of the custom helmet:

Just curious.

Interesting thread, Codemasters could put the look to Apex based in where is the car to regarding the track corner (and don't when I move my steering wheel), I wanted that the intensity of look to sides was more than 15° too.
  • 1512marcel1512marcel Member, Drivers Champion
    Good post Lil, but like Mantazzo said, your drifting off and ruining a great post. Please edit and leave the first part the way it is. Your idea regarding the different cockpit views is a good read and definitly something they should look into.

If you use ABS or Traction Control, you are no longer a racing driver.

1512Marcel

If I get a few more questions about my driving style I think I headbutt someone.

Max Verstappen

• LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Petrol Head
    @mantazzo / @1512marcel

Thanks, took the advice you gave, edited the text and reposted it as a stand alone again.
    Keeping the post clean and readable is indeed a necessity.

Here's the link to the new "discussion":
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/132861/about-the-missing-aesthetic-bits-and-pieces#latest

#NukeHumanity
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Petrol Head
    @UP100

>Codies offered to make the change, but weren't allowed to.

Indeed, but we don't know the full story about it, tbh.

Maybe it was a mere financial issue, or a problem that occured due to the very limited and tight time schedule that the teams work with, or maybe even simply "laziness"?! (lel)

Hopefully Codemasters will try to be a bit more transparent with their fanbase and or at least give us a more open understanding of how their "licencing" procedure actually works.

#NukeHumanity