Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

What would you want on an F1 dashboard app?

LetMeThrashULetMeThrashU Member Wheel Nut
Hello all. 

I am going to start developing a dashboard app with a friend for both iOS and Android soon.

I know the sort of things that I want shown on the app but want to know what you guys would like. 

Please note, I unfortunately can not put information on such as the VSC delta time as Codemasters do not give us that information. 

Here is is a list of the data that I can receive from the game: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/53139/f1-2017-d-box-and-udp-output-specification

Also you can suggest information to put on the display even if it is not in the specification above as it may be updated for F1 2018. For example, we know that ERS is now in the game and I can almost guarantee that we will have that information. 

Telematry graphs and track models may arrive in the app at a later date as it could take quite a while to build. 

I am am looking forward to all your ideas and will post the app link when available (it’ll be free to use). 

I will also be using voice commands to change pages on the app as it would be hard to tap your phone screen while driving. This is, unless we can detect the button that the player presses in F1 2018. If you have any screen designs you would like to share, feel free to upload them to this post. 
Tagged:

Comments

• 1512marcel1512marcel Member, Drivers Champion

I would love to be able to use a mobile Phone as mirror. Is that among the possibilities? Would be nice to have two phones on my rig acting like that. Next to this, the abillity to change views on the Phone/tablet app with a button on your wheel.

Good luck with developing. Besides the "extra's I mentioned I'll be happy with the usual stuff;

- rev lights, tyre temps, brake temps, ERS info, gear info, flags, DRS info, laptimes, etc.

If you use ABS or Traction Control, you are no longer a racing driver.

1512Marcel

If I get a few more questions about my driving style I think I headbutt someone.

Max Verstappen

• LetMeThrashULetMeThrashU Member Wheel Nut

I would love to be able to use a mobile Phone as mirror. Is that among the possibilities? Would be nice to have two phones on my rig acting like that. Next to this, the abillity to change views on the Phone/tablet app with a button on your wheel.

Good luck with developing. Besides the "extra's I mentioned I'll be happy with the usual stuff;

- rev lights, tyre temps, brake temps, ERS info, gear info, flags, DRS info, laptimes, etc.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I don’t think that would be possible. The next best thing I can think of though is I could make blind spot warnings as I know the position of every car in the game. 
    edited June 1
    That would be a good one. The proximity arrows are a good thing, but I do not like having them on screen. In the dash would be awesome. Purhaps accompanied with a warning sound?

1512Marcel

If I get a few more questions about my driving style I think I headbutt someone.

Max Verstappen

That would be a good one. The proximity arrows are a good thing, but I do not like having them on screen. In the dash would be awesome. Purhaps accompanied with a warning sound?
    Would a beeping noise be good, an engineers voice or something else?
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Team Principal
    Would a beeping noise be good, an engineers voice or something else?
    I was literally just thinking about the opportunity of a spotter. This would 100% have to be optional, and I don't think they have spotters irl either. But irl is a bit different and can be easier to tell when another car is alongside. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
    edited June 1
    I was literally just thinking about the opportunity of a spotter. This would 100% have to be optional, and I don't think they have spotters irl either. But irl is a bit different and can be easier to tell when another car is alongside. 
    Good suggestion. If you tell me what you would want it to include, let me know and hopefully it’ll be in the app. 
    Spotters are a good thing, but not realistic in F1. Therefore a beeping sound would be good, but fully optional. But, thinking about it some more, it could become annoying during starts when there are lots of cars around you. A beep could be very distracting then.

1512Marcel

Max Verstappen

Spotters are a good thing, but not realistic in F1. Therefore a beeping sound would be good, but fully optional. But, thinking about it some more, it could become annoying during starts when there are lots of cars around you. A beep could be very distracting then.
    What if I were to have a spotter and blind spot as two different ofptions? That way the player can chose what they want. Also I could have the visual blind spot warnings on the screen all the time and enable the sound after 10-15 seconds from the race starting?
  • marsal79marsal79 Member, Drivers Wheel Nut

yes, switch it off and clean the screen....
    :)
    edited June 1
    Sounds good to me. If that's possible. You can please us all then :D If you need volunteers testing, I'll be happy to.

1512Marcel

Max Verstappen

• UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    edited June 1
    I'd like to see a spotter app which uses the engineer's spotter lines. They can be found in game, but never used to my knowledge.

E: I can get them to you if needed, but extracting them is not that hard. It's just time consuming when you do it the first time.
    Sounds good to me. If that's possible. You can please us all then :D If you need volunteers testing, I'll be happy to.
    Cool. Will let you know if I do need testers.
    UP100 said:
    I'd like to see a spotter app which uses the engineer's spotter lines. They can be found in game, but never used to my knowledge.

E: I can get them to you if needed, but extracting them is not that hard. It's just time consuming when you do it the first time.
    Thank you for that. I would be interested to see what they say. I’ll probaly use my own voice and maybe a few other people too. I may also add an option in the app for people to use their own voice too. This way, I don’t have to worry about copyright.