Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

n00b seeking help

Fiore1213Fiore1213 Member Unleaded
Hello to you all,

I'm quite fresh with the game and the forum.With less words,I'm 110% noob in the setups.Tried different setups for different cars and tracks, but would really would like to start making them on my own.Can someone pleeeeaaaasssseee help me :) What should I look for?What should I do?Any info or tips would be appreciated.Thank you in advance!

Comments

• DPaton23DPaton23 Member Unleaded
    First of all, best suggestion is the get yourself a wheel if you haven't already got one. 

I usually start with using codies preset setups as a baseline.  Use a different one for each track.  If the track is full of tight turns IE: Monaco, use higher downforce.  If the track has long straights and long, sweeping turns, use closer to high speed.  Then make small adjustments from there. 

The set ups in this game are pretty basic.  Its nothing like PC2 or Iracing.  Just read the little help box associated with each setup option and make your adjustments.  Most importantly you just have to put a lot of consistent test laps in and pay CLOSE attention to what the car is actually doing.  If it is loose (back end always wants to come around on you), pay attention to WHERE in the turn is it loose? (IE: corner entry, corner exit, mid turn,) 

Then ask yourself what kind of corner is it that you are having a problem with? Tight, slow corners will rely more on mechanical grip (grip produced mostly by the suspension adjustments).  Long sweeping, high speed corners will rely more on aerodynamic grip (grip produced mostly by downforce).

Then there are other little details to pay attention to.  If, for example, you notice the car breaking loose on corner exit alot, but only when you get on the throttle then you may want to unlock the on-throttle differential a little bit.  If you notice the back end wants to come around whenever you lift off the accelerator, then you may want to unlock the off-throttle differential a little bit.

But like I said the set ups are fairly basic compared to some other sim type racing games.  The little help text in the corner of the setup screen does a good job of explaining what each item does.  So The best thing you can do when trying to get a good setup is understanding what the car is actually doing with greater detail than just "loose" or "tight"            

• Fiore1213Fiore1213 Member Unleaded
    DPaton23 said:
    First of all, best suggestion is the get yourself a wheel if you haven't already got one. 

I usually start with using codies preset setups as a baseline.  Use a different one for each track.  If the track is full of tight turns IE: Monaco, use higher downforce.  If the track has long straights and long, sweeping turns, use closer to high speed.  Then make small adjustments from there. 

The set ups in this game are pretty basic.  Its nothing like PC2 or Iracing.  Just read the little help box associated with each setup option and make your adjustments.  Most importantly you just have to put a lot of consistent test laps in and pay CLOSE attention to what the car is actually doing.  If it is loose (back end always wants to come around on you), pay attention to WHERE in the turn is it loose? (IE: corner entry, corner exit, mid turn,) 

Then ask yourself what kind of corner is it that you are having a problem with? Tight, slow corners will rely more on mechanical grip (grip produced mostly by the suspension adjustments).  Long sweeping, high speed corners will rely more on aerodynamic grip (grip produced mostly by downforce).

Then there are other little details to pay attention to.  If, for example, you notice the car breaking loose on corner exit alot, but only when you get on the throttle then you may want to unlock the on-throttle differential a little bit.  If you notice the back end wants to come around whenever you lift off the accelerator, then you may want to unlock the off-throttle differential a little bit.

But like I said the set ups are fairly basic compared to some other sim type racing games.  The little help text in the corner of the setup screen does a good job of explaining what each item does.  So The best thing you can do when trying to get a good setup is understanding what the car is actually doing with greater detail than just "loose" or "tight"            

Thank you very much!I’m on wheel,was thinking of upgrading it,but decided to improve my driving first.I will try what you’ve suggested,but I’m already sure this is the way.Thank you again :)))))))