Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Do ultra-wide monitors make a difference?

I am looking to upgrade my TV screen to a ultra-wide monitor for two purposes.
1) Better graphics (old TV has a poor resolution)
2) Wider field of view

I know that the monitor of choice will work with point 1, but will choosing a ultra-wide monitor give me better field of view in F1 2017?
I want this so I can race in cockpit mode whilst being able to see in my wing mirrors and possibly to the side of me a bit more for wheel-to-wheel racing.

Thanks

Comments

• Fiore1213Fiore1213 Member Unleaded
    2) Wider field of view

I know that the monitor of choice will work with point 1, but will choosing a ultra-wide monitor give me better field of view in F1 2017?
    I want this so I can race in cockpit mode whilst being able to see in my wing mirrors and possibly to the side of me a bit more for wheel-to-wheel racing.

Thanks
    A larger screen will definitely make a difference.But it makes everything on screen bigger :D So it's up to you to make your perfect FOV settings.There are plenty of videos you can find in which people show different FOV settings.I have a 50 inch 4K tv and don't see my mirrors in cockpit cam.As long as I've read plenty of the lets say more advanced players are using the TV cam, because they can't see the apex clear from the cockpit cam/wheel-to-wheel racing as well/
  • LetMeThrashULetMeThrashU Member Wheel Nut
    Fiore1213 said:
    2) Wider field of view

Thanks
    A larger screen will definitely make a difference.But it makes everything on screen bigger :D So it's up to you to make your perfect FOV settings.There are plenty of videos you can find in which people show different FOV settings.I have a 50 inch 4K tv and don't see my mirrors in cockpit cam.As long as I've read plenty of the lets say more advanced players are using the TV cam, because they can't see the apex clear from the cockpit cam/wheel-to-wheel racing as well/
    Thanks for your reply. How much of a difference would you say it would make? I’m interested in the difference of the side view. 
    edited June 11
    Fiore1213 said:
    2) Wider field of view

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. How much of a difference would you say it would make? I’m interested in the difference of the side view. 
    I moved from 32' to 50' so there is a big difference.But when you initially start the game no matter how big is your screen you will see the same things you see on your current TV,but just bigger.So that's why I told you to check the settings of the camera.Every camera mode has it's own settings/how height you want it to be, how wide you want to see,etc./Don't expect if you switch to larger TV immediately to see everything around you.And you should keep things as close as possible to real life.I'll give you an example.If you make your view too wide, this will make your eyes to believe that a turn is actually more wide than it is.If you have watched some internet videos with some sim racers, you should have noticed that they use 3 monitors, one is for centre view and the two others are for left and right, that's because it is very difficult to put everything on one monitor without sacrificing something.

Post edited by Fiore1213 on
    edited June 11
    Fiore1213 said:
    Fiore1213 said:
    2) Wider field of view

Thanks
    I moved from 32' to 50' so there is a big difference.But when you initially start the game no matter how big is your screen you will see the same things you see on your current TV,but just bigger.So that's why I told you to check the settings of the camera.Every camera mode has it's own settings/how height you want it to be, how wide you want to see,etc./Don't expect if you switch to larger TV immediately to see everything around you.And you should keep things as close as possible to real life.I'll give you an example.If you make your view too wide, this will make your eyes to believe that a turn is actually more wide than it is.If you have watched some internet videos with some sim racers, you should have noticed that they use 3 monitors, one is for centre view and the two others are for left and right, that's because it is very difficult to put everything on one monitor without sacrificing something.

So would you say that it’ll be better to have for example, three 21” screens instead of 1 ultrawide 40-50”? Unfortunately it looks like I can’t have triple monitors on my PS4. 
    edited June 11
    Fiore1213 said:
    Fiore1213 said:
    2) Wider field of view

Thanks

So would you say that it’ll be better to have for example, three 21” screens instead of 1 ultrawide 40-50”? Unfortunately it looks like I can’t have triple monitors on my PS4. 
    Just gave an example.Try experimenting with camera settings.Go for the ultra wide,bigger the better :) Are you on a standard PS4 or Pro?

Here are some examples for camera 

Fiore1213 said:
    Fiore1213 said:
    Fiore1213 said:
    2) Wider field of view

Thanks

Just gave an example.Try experimenting with camera settings.Go for the ultra wide,bigger the better :) Are you on a standard PS4 or Pro?

I’m on the standard PS4 as I got it soon after the launch I think. What are those camera options that you use?
    Fiore1213 said:
    Fiore1213 said:
    Fiore1213 said:
    2) Wider field of view

Thanks

I’m on the standard PS4 as I got it soon after the launch I think. What are those camera options that you use?
    When in cockpit cam I have raised the position of the camera and use a wider FOV.Go to time trial, press the option button and go to camera settings.Than experiment till you find the perfect view that suits you.
    Cool. Thanks for that. I found a good FOC now where I can clearly see the mirrors and judge corners correctly. Looks like I only have to concentrate on a good resolution that is big enough now.