Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

E3 Interview F1 2018 Footage with Lee Mather

2»

Comments

• Flazh92Flazh92 Member Pit Crew
    edited June 2018
    dirt3joe said:
    Joethe155 said:
    Amazes me that there's people that still hope the official HUD, ever since F1 2010. CM's graphics do a good job and there's nothing the official ones wuld do any better.
    "OFFICIALY LICENCED F1 PRODUCT"

MotoGP / FIFA / PES / NASCAR / NFL / NBA / NHL / MBL etc., all these sports games make use of the official HUD as it improves immersion and realism tenfold, but Codies are immune to such a commitment?

Ridiculous.

PS: Codemasters could easily offer both the generic HUD and the official one in the game if they wanted to, the players could then choose which to take, but of course it's too much to ask i guess.....

Since an F1 race driver never sees the "official HUD" (which by the way is not a driver HUD but an audience information screen) while racing how can having the "official HUD" improve realism tenfold ?
    I don't get it why you are trying to ignore his point while he clearly said you could chose between Official and Codies one. Sounds fair.

It improves realism by seeing stuff that is shown on TV, of course the driver doesn't see the HUD, but you see it so you are familiar with it. After 8 years we can at least get a small version of the Official HUD but we are left out once again. Just give us an TV Style replay functionality or something like that where you can put it in but I just hate how codies is once again just giving a damn about Fan Opionion but lying on there blog about how much they care about us..
  • dirt3joedirt3joe Member Petrol Head
    Flazh92 said:
    dirt3joe said:
    Joethe155 said:
    Amazes me that there's people that still hope the official HUD, ever since F1 2010. CM's graphics do a good job and there's nothing the official ones wuld do any better.

MotoGP / FIFA / PES / NASCAR / NFL / NBA / NHL / MBL etc., all these sports games make use of the official HUD as it improves immersion and realism tenfold, but Codies are immune to such a commitment?

Ridiculous.

PS: Codemasters could easily offer both the generic HUD and the official one in the game if they wanted to, the players could then choose which to take, but of course it's too much to ask i guess.....

Since an F1 race driver never sees the "official HUD" (which by the way is not a driver HUD but an audience information screen) while racing how can having the "official HUD" improve realism tenfold ?
    I don't get it why you are trying to ignore his point while he clearly said you could chose between Official and Codies one. Sounds fair.

It improves realism by seeing stuff that is shown on TV, of course the driver doesn't see the HUD, but you see it so you are familiar with it. After 8 years we can at least get a small version of the Official HUD but we are left out once again. Just give us an TV Style replay functionality or something like that where you can put it in but I just hate how codies is once again just giving a damn about Fan Opionion but lying on there blog about how much they care about us..
    Because it's a dismal argument.

There are lots of reasons you could justify the inclusion of it. For example, it should be included in replays because that is where you would normally expect to see it. Immersion is subjective, so I guess if people feel it makes the game more immersive fair enough, even though other people may be equally right in feeling that it doesn't.

But to argue that putting in something that a driver never sees or experiences will somehow make the game 10x more realistic, it's just poor.
  • MrGhostO1OMrGhostO1O Member Race Steward
    Flazh92 said:
    Wow... 8 years and still no official HUD..  I really don't get it why he even went there to just show some time trial gameplay and talk about stuff we already know.
    Yes he really did not say much that we don't already know.

robin8f said:
    Ujhelyi91 said:
    Joethe155 said:
    I agree. I was looking forward to an official HUD years ago and while it was good while you were watching, the CM interface isn't intrusive at all while driving.
    Yep. I would like to see some improvements to the spectator mode though, such as showing whether a driver is going green, purple or yellow in each sector during qualifying, like they do in real life. They should also implement the mini map (including the great new addition that each car/dot is now coloured) in spectator mode.
    The spectator does need a lot more information.and especially everything that you mention.
    It needs some goddamn colours :D

MrCosta96 said:
    The lack of information about online stability worries me, especially with what Beta testers have been saying.
    You and me both mate.
    99% of the information that was given by Lee Mather was about career again.
    Only thing he mentioned about online was the "Superlicense" that matches players with similar stats while searching for lobbies.

AMS97KRR said:
    Codemasters don't use the official hub because by using their own graphics they have greater flexibility. I'm sure this is what was said. Clearly they feel that the best experience they can offer requires their own graphics, which function perfectly well and have done since 2010. 

Why does it matter anyway, surely the racing and the driving is the important part? 

They showed some good stuff off at e3 and it sounds like the career mode has made some positive strides and yet we still get endless whining about non issues. The real issues are online and the safety car, not the HUD.
    While I agree that using their own style of HUD does give them more flexibility, the true potential of that has not yet been really reached.
    There are so many things that can be done with the HUD like having a small popup box indicating the difference in the sector times between you, the car behind and ahead without having to ask the engineer, who gives more information than you ask, which can cause him to annoyingly talk to you through corners. Spectator mode needs a lot more visible indicators when a driver posts a personal or session best time in a sector or lap. There are so many minor things like that, which can make a major difference in immersion.

dirt3joe said:
    Joethe155 said:

Ridiculous.

I have to remind you there that this a GAME. An official F1 game, but a GAME.
    Realism is always welcome, but it does not belong in every aspect of a game.
    That is proven by the fact that not everyone prefers to play in cockpit cam, so infromation has to bee delivered through other means.

Using the official HUD can really show that the developers want to bring the casual and dedicated players as close to the IRL sport as possible.
    While it does not have to have the exact same functions as the IRL graphics, having the same style can have a much greater impact in the immersion.

When playing a game that is based on real events or sports, immersion plays a great role in keeping the player playing the game, hence increasing the games life time and entertainment.
    edited June 2018
    *ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE POST*
    • Body is 16 characters too short.
  • dirt3joedirt3joe Member Petrol Head
    edited June 2018
    Flazh92 said:
    Wow... 8 years and still no official HUD..  I really don't get it why he even went there to just show some time trial gameplay and talk about stuff we already know.
    Yes he really did not say much that we don't already know.

robin8f said:
    Ujhelyi91 said:
    Joethe155 said:
    I agree. I was looking forward to an official HUD years ago and while it was good while you were watching, the CM interface isn't intrusive at all while driving.
    Yep. I would like to see some improvements to the spectator mode though, such as showing whether a driver is going green, purple or yellow in each sector during qualifying, like they do in real life. They should also implement the mini map (including the great new addition that each car/dot is now coloured) in spectator mode.
    The spectator does need a lot more information.and especially everything that you mention.
    It needs some goddamn colours :D

MrCosta96 said:
    The lack of information about online stability worries me, especially with what Beta testers have been saying.
    You and me both mate.
    99% of the information that was given by Lee Mather was about career again.
    Only thing he mentioned about online was the "Superlicense" that matches players with similar stats while searching for lobbies.

AMS97KRR said:
    Codemasters don't use the official hub because by using their own graphics they have greater flexibility. I'm sure this is what was said. Clearly they feel that the best experience they can offer requires their own graphics, which function perfectly well and have done since 2010. 

Why does it matter anyway, surely the racing and the driving is the important part? 

They showed some good stuff off at e3 and it sounds like the career mode has made some positive strides and yet we still get endless whining about non issues. The real issues are online and the safety car, not the HUD.
    While I agree that using their own style of HUD does give them more flexibility, the true potential of that has not yet been really reached.
    There are so many things that can be done with the HUD like having a small popup box indicating the difference in the sector times between you, the car behind and ahead without having to ask the engineer, who gives more information than you ask, which can cause him to annoyingly talk to you through corners. Spectator mode needs a lot more visible indicators when a driver posts a personal or session best time in a sector or lap. There are so many minor things like that, which can make a major difference in immersion.

dirt3joe said:
    Joethe155 said:

Ridiculous.

I have to remind you there that this a GAME. An official F1 game, but a GAME.
    Realism is always welcome, but it does not belong in every aspect of a game.
    That is proven by the fact that not everyone prefers to play in cockpit cam, so infromation has to bee delivered through other means.

Using the official HUD can really show that the developers want to bring the casual and dedicated players as close to the IRL sport as possible.
    While it does not have to have the exact same functions as the IRL graphics, having the same style can have a much greater impact in the immersion.

When playing a game that is based on real events or sports, immersion plays a great role in keeping the player playing the game, hence increasing the games life time and entertainment.
    Never said anything about realism or it's role in games. Clearly there are many places where the game has to make compromises. I actually like F1 more than a lot of other racers on the market because I find it a better balance between sim and game. Sims like PCars I like but find less enjoyable because they are too hard to play.

If you want to argue inclusion of the "official HUD" will make it a better game, fair enough.

If you want to argue that it will make the game ten times more realistic (which was what was originally claimed) - that's what I take issue with. I could argue that inclusion of ejector seats would make it a better game if you could eject before crashing. Fair enough, thast's my opinion. If I argued inclusion of ejector seats made the game 10x more realistic people would say I was talking rubbish. And they'd be right.

Edit : I think that if you are going to get Codies to implement it the first thing is to make a strong argument as to why. I am actually surprised they didn't do it this year, as there is clearly demand for it. "realism" isn't part of a strong argument as to why they should do it.
    dirt3joe said:
    Never said anything about realism or it's role in games. Clearly there are many places where the game has to make compromises. I actually like F1 more than a lot of other racers on the market because I find it a better balance between sim and game. Sims like PCars I like but find less enjoyable because they are too hard to play.

If you want to argue inclusion of the "official HUD" will make it a better game, fair enough.

If you want to argue that it will make the game ten times more realistic (which was what was originally claimed) - that's what I take issue with. I could argue that inclusion of ejector seats would make it a better game if you could eject before crashing. Fair enough, thast's my opinion. If I argued inclusion of ejector seats made the game 10x more realistic people would say I was talking rubbish. And they'd be right.
    Sorry that I misunderstood your comment but I believe you misunderstood mine as well.

My point is not the realism but the feeling of immersion into the world of F1 when seeing the official HUD like on the TV IRL.
    Players might feel better connected to the game and enjoy it more and/or longer if the official style is adapted for the system that Codemasters uses.
    Again it does not have to have 100% exactly the same info like IRL TV but it should be the same style and font.

In terms of realism, HUD can and must never be 100% "realistic" in a game.
    That would basically fill 90% of the screen with a lot of info that is not necessary to a player.
  • TurtlemooseTurtlemoose Member Pit Crew
    Though having the official HUD would be good - I do not think it is essential.
    I do think a bit more information is needed - i.e more time differences shown between other cars rather than the 1 or 2 in front or behind you, or perhaps a position change notification that may sometimes appear.
  • BenspittleBenspittle Member New Car Smell
    I would love to have the official HUD 
    btw does anyone know when the beta ends??
  • Tunari89Tunari89 Member Wheel Nut
    I would love to have the official HUD 
    btw does anyone know when the beta ends??
    The beta testers aren't allowed to talk about beta. The beta ends, when it ends. And what you would do with that information anyways? 
    It's probable, that you won't be invited to join the beta testers club anyways, as the beta keys have already been sent to the chosen people. And it's highly possible, that they aren't sending any new keys to anyone.

What comes to having official broadcast graphics as HUD, I don't want them. The official style is not needed for immersion, imho. And if you would want full immersion, there would be possibility to choose version of the game, that's localized. Since here in Finland (at least I don't watch British broadcasters footage) we have our own broadcaster, and having Ant and the other guy, who I don't care at all, btw, is something, that breaks my immersion. Or at least let me turn the bloody thing off. I don't care about the other stuff before sessions starts, but the commentators, nope. That's of course just my opinion...
  • TheodorGRTheodorGR Member New Car Smell
    It feels like they made a lot of changes for better results.
  • BenspittleBenspittle Member New Car Smell
    Ok thanks 
    lol body’s is too short........
  • Cap10Cap10 Member Pit Crew
    edited June 2018
    I agree about the official HUD it would make the game look way better. no offence to codies but the official one is a lot more nicer neat and clear.

Nice addition is when car goes off racing line they kick up dust really like this. also lee mentioned the track surface grip improves as it gets rubbered. the ai now will attempt to defend move off the racing line. F1 2018 is shaping up nicely so far.

as for multiplayer lee mentioned that the BETA testing revolves around this so it look like they are indeed working on sorting out and improving the multiplayer experience. 

Post edited by Cap10 on
  • peanutt2000peanutt2000 Member Pit Crew
    Cap10 said:
    I agree about the official HUD it would make the game look way better. no offence to codies but the official one is a lot more nicer neat and clear.

Nice addition is when car going off racing line they kick up dust really like this. also lee mentioned the track surface grip improves as it gets rubbered. the ai now will attempt to defend move off the racing line. F1 2018 is shaping up nicely so far.

as for multiplayer lee mentioned that the BETA testing revolves around this so it look like they are indeed working on sorting out and improving the multiplayer experience. 

Wouldn’t make it look better at all. It’s about the player playing not the spectacle of how it looks. Drivers don’t worry about how it looks on sky
  • thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Co-Driver
    Though having the official HUD would be good - I do not think it is essential.
    I do think a bit more information is needed - i.e more time differences shown between other cars rather than the 1 or 2 in front or behind you, or perhaps a position change notification that may sometimes appear.
    Ofcourse it’s not essential, it’s just something a major part of the fans would love to see to add to the immersion of the game. We can live without it but we have been asking about it for 3 years; it’s about time..
    • Steering wheelThrustmaster T300 RS GT Wheel with F1 wheel add-on
    • SeatingPlaySeat Revolution (Black edition)
    • Attended Events: Abu Dhabi 2016 GP / Hungary 2017 GP / Barcelona Winter Testing 2018
  • IvanoZ023IvanoZ023 Member Unleaded
    No VR???
    Body is 32 c haracrets too short.
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    Okay I'm now officially calling it the whaletail.. Good look so far though! Excited for the release already!
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • f1fan0543f1fan0543 Member New Car Smell
    edited June 2018
    Visaully game the looks amazing but handling looks same to previous games. I would execpted the game this year to have suspension travel even if its just was visaul effect over extra handling physic. i love new steering wheel display. 
    f1fan0543 said:
    Visaully game the looks amazing but handling looks same to previous games. I would execpted the game this year to have suspension travel even if its just was visaul effect over extra handling physics. 
    The handling style does lool the same but the cars seem to have a bit more turn-in and downforce. Brakes are better too and the kerbs are more "fatal". Overall I think it is more difficult to drive.
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited June 2018

It's easy to run down a checklist of what's in a game, but I don't care as much about which features are present as I do about which features actually work.

Sure, it's nice to hear about new bells & whistles, but they're worthless to me if I can't depend on consistently reliable functional quality from a game - which was not even mentioned in this 'interview.'

Function > features

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

2»