Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

F1 2018 – The Headline Edition

Comments

• stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Race Steward
    Does anyone know if the ‘Headline Edition’ with the Brawn and Williams will be available in stores for a short period (much like the ‘88 McLaren last year and the ‘Career Booster’ for F1 2016), or is it exclusively for preorders only? 

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Does anyone know if the ‘Headline Edition’ with the Brawn and Williams will be available in stores for a short period (much like the ‘88 McLaren last year and the ‘Career Booster’ for F1 2016), or is it exclusively for preorders only? 

I think it's available for Preorder's only but they have said the classic  cars will be made available as DLC later as well just as the McLaren was in 2017 so we will be able to buy it for a little extra later if we wish after release which is probably what I'm going to do.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

edited June 19
    I’m pretty sure last year Sennas 1988 McLaren was supposed to be the additional ‘day one’ bonus, so you could still get the car for the first month or two even if you brought it from shops and not from the preorders.  Was just the later copies of the game lacked it and was made available as dlc. 
    I’m assuming that’s what Codemasters will do again this year? And that the ‘Headline Edition’ will be the day one edition in stores for the first month or so?
  • martblokemartbloke Member Co-Driver

I think it's available for Preorder's only but they have said the classic  cars will be made available as DLC later as well just as the McLaren was in 2017 so we will be able to buy it for a little extra later if we wish after release which is probably what I'm going to do.
    Reread the original post from Faya and you will find your answer 😂 {spoiler: pre-order & day one}
  • JuanCarMRJuanCarMR Member Wheel Nut
    @Faya will online SC bug fixed in F1 2018??? I hope so...
  • vincenzo19vincenzo19 Member Wheel Nut
    edited June 19
    Operator1 said:

I always find it strange when game companies push for pre-orders before they've revealed much of anything about what they want people to buy. "We're not telling you what's coming, but we want you to blindly commit to buying it anyway??"

Welcome to 2018! The sad thing is...theres alot of people that buy into it...

There's no chance codies are getting me to pre order, they cant even address the safety car, despite many asking, BUT YOU CAN HAVE A BRAWN if you give them money NOW! Jokers!
  • Akkan74Akkan74 Member Wheel Nut

I really liked the 2017 Version. Yes, there are some bugs but due to the fact i never played online, i avoided many of them.

For 2018 i am concerned that Codemasters didn't clearify the major things here in the forum which are stated many times over the last month. It could be because beta isn't finished yet. But it seems to be they try to avoid this points.

Would be a good attitude to tell the community that they noticed the major bugs (e.g. safety car, online stability, blue flag behaviour...) and to clarify that they have a high priority to eliminate it for 2018.

• UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    Operator1 said:

I always find it strange when game companies push for pre-orders before they've revealed much of anything about what they want people to buy. "We're not telling you what's coming, but we want you to blindly commit to buying it anyway??"

Well if the game sucks, you can still refund it.
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Champion
    edited June 19
    UP100 said:
    Operator1 said:

You could also *not* pre-order it. But self-control is about as rare as human decency.

There is nothing to gain. Apart from essentially early access to content that should be available right from the get go. Hell, if you think about it, this pre-order incentive is downright insulting. The content is obviously already in the game, but guess what sucker? You're only getting it right from the start when you cash out before you even get the full game.

And, of course, it works like a charm.
    It's stated that you get access to the content by pre-ordering or by purchasing a day 1 copy, which basically means you'll get the cars anyway I assume, even if you dont pre-order and buy it some time after release. Doesn't mean that I agree with making these cars DLC later on though, if something has been in the game and on the disc from the start, it should stay included in the price of the full game in my opinion.
    Exactly that, no one is forcing you to preorder. It seems like the Headline Edition with both the cars will be available for a short period after the games release date similar to the ‘88 McLaren last year.
  • ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    I know it will be available at a later date, but so **** what?

Why do I get to wait if I do decide to buy the game early but not pre-order it? The content is already in the game, but I only get immediate access by pre-ordering it.

This whole 'pre-order to get ALL the content immediately ****' is just a cheap way to get people to pre-order. And it's an, admittedly tiny, middle finger to those deciding to wait a bit.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Champion
    edited June 19
    Who's saying you have to wait?? The way I understand it the day 1 copies will all have immediate access to the content, not just pre-orders. Thats what I was trying to say in the post above.
    OK, let me rephrase that: You have to wait if you don't pre-order the game AND you don't get the opportunity to buy a Day 1 copy.

You have to wait, and you get the privilege to pay extra for 2 cars that are in the game from Day 1. Still sounds shoddy to me.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
    edited June 19
    Is it any different from last year? How many people didn’t get the edition that came with the ‘88 McLaren and had to buy it later as dlc?  I’m sure there were probably a few but then again they probably grabbed the game at a discounted price months after it’s release.  

Codemasters release schedule is fairly late in the F1 calendar so they know they’re going to sell the most copies within the first month or two. They would probably say that having the two bonus cars is a reward to those that buy the game early, but all it is in reality is marketing to try and make the most of sales during when the game is at its sales “peak”.

dont get me wrong, I’m not a fan at all of companies that sell empty games and then charge everyone for dlc that should have been in the game from the get go.
    I didn’t bother grabbing GT Sport until months after release until they had released a number of free content updates and also when the game was around £20.

im sure charging for the bonus cars is Codemasters way of making a bit of extra money from when the game drops in price and ends up in sales and deals after its release. 

What i would rather they did was instead add extra content around January/February to give the game a little more shelf life in the gap between waiting for the next F1 season and next game.  I know Paul Jeal has said there will be no additional classic tracks as they instead focussed on reworking all the current season tracks, ...but surely they could find some time a few months after the games release to do an extra track or two to keep fans happy 
    Hey, don't get me wrong. I genuinely get their business practice and why they're doing it.
    I just don't like it. And that they've been doing it last year doesn't make it better but worse in my eyes.

But hey, like I said, it works wonderfully for them, 'cos for some reason people mistake big companies for their friends.

I guess what they could have done differently is not announced any kind of preorder bonus but instead announced a dlc a few months after the game was out (or a free content update if they were feeling generous).

....I do think 2 cars on their own is a little bit lacking and most people probably wouldn’t find it worth the extra money. Whereas if they added a classic track or 2 alongside a few cars from a specific era then it might get a bit more enthusiasm and probably more people would buy it as it would feel like they were “adding” more to the game rather than taking parts out and then charging for them later on.

I do get what you’re saying though and yes it is a bit of a shameful marketing strategy to encourage more people to get the game as soon as it’s released.  Like I said I would rather they added more content after it’s release rather than take it out and charge for it. 
  • CatPower85CatPower85 Member Unleaded
    Damn..... I hate myself ! I'll moan about the halo and everything else but I WILL buy the game and enjoy it . Even though I'm still moaning to myself even now about all the problems we have
  • FOneFanaticFOneFanatic Member, Drivers Team Principal
    Not bad at all, but we do need a bit more details of the game, especially post E3. So now this makes 14 classic cars in the game and growing. At least you can tell us how many more classic cars in total  are being added to this game. 
    If his unpleasant wounding, has in someway enlightened the rest of us, as to the grim finish beneath the glossy veneer of criminal life, and has inspired us all to change our ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory!

"Gone in 60 Seconds"
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    UP100 said:
    Operator1 said:

You could also *not* pre-order it. But self-control is about as rare as human decency.

There is nothing to gain. Apart from essentially early access to content that should be available right from the get go. Hell, if you think about it, this pre-order incentive is downright insulting. The content is obviously already in the game, but guess what sucker? You're only getting it right from the start when you cash out before you even get the full game.

And, of course, it works like a charm.
    I can understand your point. The reason I may pre-order games is that I want to try them at the earliest possible opportunity. There is no reason for me to wait to see the reviews when the reviews won't help me at all. If I want to buy a game but it has poor reviews, I'll still buy it as long as I have a way to refund it.

I'm going to pre-order F1 2018 if I feel I want to try the game. If I don't feel 50e is a good price for the game, I can easily just do a quick refund and either never touch the game again, or buy the game in a sale (depending on how good it was)

Also yes pre-order bonuses are ****.