Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The post-E3 debrief, with F1 Game Director Lee Mather

F1 Game Director Lee Mather went to E3 earlier this year, where he got to show off F1 2018 to the public for the first time. Here’s a taster of his blog post;

““It’s the most wonderful time of the year”, not Christmas (which incidentally I absolutely love), but time for us to start showing off what the team have been beavering away on since we released F1 2017. Luckily for me, our release window also coincides with two of the biggest and most exciting gaming shows of the year, E3 and Gamescom. Of all the things I love in life, cars and gaming are right near the top of the list, along with travel and food, so I jumped at the chance to attend E3 and talk about a combination of my passions, that being our Formula 1 game.”

You can read the whole of Lee’s full E3 debrief here on the blog.

Comments

• ChromaticChromatic Member, Drivers Co-Driver

We want confirmation that the safety car and other things are working properly. If the gameplay doesn't work properly what's the point in bothering with pre-ordering I certainly haven't done it and wont until it works the why it's intended.

How many different racing lines will you take 

Originally Withyman on the old forum's 

My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TBCFormulae 

Manor may be gone but the history they made lives on

• AdamFreemanAdamFreeman Member Race Steward
    Waste of a read!                                     
  • LetMeThrashULetMeThrashU Member Wheel Nut
    edited June 30
    Chromatic said:

We want confirmation that the safety car and other things are working properly. If the gameplay doesn't work properly what's the point in bothering with pre-ordering I certainly haven't done it and wont until it works the why it's intended.

You do realise that no company will say “we have fixed ____ completely”. Why is that? It’s becase some bugs like this are only found once it’s gone live. For example, people working at Codemasters probably live in the same area or nearby. This means the connection levels will be good and therefor not find any issues. Now when you have someone in Europ who races someone in Australia, there isn’t going to be as good of connection. If people do find a bug, that would look even worse for the company as they said it was fixed. 

Even in the beta tests, some things may not be found. Let’s say it’s like last year where there are about 300 from each platform, meaning there are about 900 testers in total. If the chance of the bug is say 40%, that means only 900*0.4=360 people will have the issue. That’s not that many people. 540 people did not find it.

Once the game has gone live, let’s say that 3,658,124 people have the game. There will now be about 93,658,123*0.4=1,463,249 people will have the issue. Let’s say that 80% of them upload it to YouTube, that’s 1,170,599 videos online. That’s a number that would be easier to find for the public. Then when people start agreeing with the issue, they then make easier for everyone else to hear which makes it sound bigger. 

Please note that the numbers are randomly selected. 
  • Akkan74Akkan74 Member Wheel Nut
    Chromatic said:

You do realise that no company will say “we have fixed ____ completely”. Why is that? It’s becase some bugs like this are only found once it’s gone live. For example, people working at Codemasters probably live in the same area or nearby. This means the connection levels will be good and therefor not find any issues. Now when you have someone in Europ who races someone in Australia, there isn’t going to be as good of connection. If people do find a bug, that would look even worse for the company as they said it was fixed. 

Even in the beta tests, some things may not be found. Let’s say it’s like last year where there are about 300 from each platform, meaning there are about 900 testers in total. If the chance of the bug is say 40%, that means only 900*0.4=360 people will have the issue. That’s not that many people. 540 people did not find it.

Once the game has gone live, let’s say that 3,658,124 people have the game. There will now be about 93,658,123*0.4=1,463,249 people will have the issue. Let’s say that 80% of them upload it to YouTube, that’s 1,170,599 videos online. That’s a number that would be easier to find for the public. Then when people start agreeing with the issue, they then make easier for everyone else to hear which makes it sound bigger. 

I think there are enough threads over the last month which explained the safety car bug online. Are you really trying to say it‘s not possible to recreate the bug during beta testing?
    The problem is they never said anything about it. Nobody knows if they care about or not. 
  • JuanCarMRJuanCarMR Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 1
    Maybe they had quit the SC like they did in F1 2014 and now the bug is fixed. XD 

There is a Spanish saying of this: "muerto el perro se acabó la rabia." 
  • LetMeThrashULetMeThrashU Member Wheel Nut
    Akkan74 said:
    Chromatic said:

I think there are enough threads over the last month which explained the safety car bug online. Are you really trying to say it‘s not possible to recreate the bug during beta testing?
    The problem is they never said anything about it. Nobody knows if they care about or not. 
    That’s not what I mean. Companies don’t always fix bugs if they think the chance of it is low. This is so they can use their resources in adding features or improving other bigger things. It’s only when the game has gone live when the size of the bug is found.