Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

£45 for pre-order, multiplayer mode removed from the game?

45 quid for this yearly iteration, and not one word on the official steam page about any changes / fixes to multiplayer (which was completely broken last year), or any communication from Conmasters at all regarding the multiplayer for this years game. Can we just assume multiplayer has been removed in favour of adding "time-pressured media interviews" to career mode?

Comments

• ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Pit Crew
    Tbh would be a good improvement to online ;) I want to know that career mode works though first..
  • UP100UP100 Member Petrol Head
    Once again beta testing is not finished, so Codemasters can't be sure the game is bug free.
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited June 30
    Since the beta application form asked whether you wanted to test single or multiplayer, I'm guessing multiplayer is still there.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • LSKoneLSKone Member Wheel Nut
    Guess I'll have to wait a few years until they get their heads out their rears to produce a working game for everyone...
    Or until the license is given to a more capable developer.
    Actually happened: Couple of weeks ago I was dreaming of Formula 1 2018 being developed by Turn 10 Studios. I remember buying it and trying it out, and I had the feeling that it was the best F1 game to ever exist. Then I woke up.

So this is my level of depression, when it comes to F1 2018 :D

Operator1 said:

...Consumers would not tolerate that from other products & services, and I don't understand why so many people accept it & even defend it when game companies repeatedly do it.
    Talking about codemasters' F1, I think that many players only play the Singleplayer modes, and those are quite playable compared to Online-modes. At least it's the reason why the F1 games get good review scores by the media.
  • NesjamagNesjamag Member Unleaded
    Some of the things they mentioned the past month are:

Super license, which will include elo ranking based on how well you perform.
    A sportsmanship like ranking based on how clean you race.
    More options for spectating. This is for esports basically. More options for commentators during races.
  • speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Race Engineer
    Nesjamag said:

More options for spectating. This is for esports basically. More options for commentators during races.
    These things are all well and good and I actually like that codies are trying it but I fear this will cause more problems then it solves because of the way these games implement the penalty system i.e as a non assist user I’m for ever getting penalised in online lobbies for being hit by assist users so I could end up with a really crappy sportsmanship rating through no fault of my own.
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion

Nesjamag said:

These things are all well and good and I actually like that codies are trying it but I fear this will cause more problems then it solves because of the way these games implement the penalty system i.e as a non assist user I’m for ever getting penalised in online lobbies for being hit by assist users so I could end up with a really crappy sportsmanship rating through no fault of my own.

Totally agree. Online licenses for players can be a fustercluck if penalties are not handled properly.

Not to mention, stacking new (potentially buggy) features on top of an already buggy game/engine/mode seems like a recipe for disaster. I'm all in favor of cool new features, but if the foundation they're built on isn't solid, then new features can't hope to add much value.

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

• mceci1mceci1 Member Pit Crew
    How many actually saw Lees video at E3. It seems a lot didn't, or a choosing to ignore it 
    edited July 3

mceci1 said:
    How many actually saw Lees video at E3. It seems a lot didn't, or a choosing to ignore it 

I saw IGN's E3 interview with Lee Mather about F1 2018, and in regards to multiplayer, all he did was quickly fire off a short checklist of buzzwords like "esports" & "super-license" & "ELO" - and then he said he has no idea how any of it works.

#NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

• vincenzo19vincenzo19 Member Wheel Nut
    Yeah it was literally corporate buzzwords... The fact Lee's comments were so hollow, leads me to believe the new game will basically be F1 2017 + added classic cars, Paul Ricard, interviews and ERS "simulation"....nothing more. 

....Could've patched all of that into 2017 minus the halo.... infact I'm sure someone has modded a game well enough that its already out there.
  • Hawkeye407Hawkeye407 Member Wheel Nut
    Still no word from Conmasters about the state of online play for the next game...

Still no word from Conmasters about the state of online play for the next game...

3 ways the message is loud-&-clear:
    history of releasing titles with substantial gameplay-impacting bugs/glitches/issues/problems
    failure to address bugs/glitches/issues/problems post-launch in prior games
    silence about bugs/glitches/issues/problems

• scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    What are you expecting them to say? Even if they were the sort of company who owned up to some things being a bit **** last year, which they're clearly not as long they have a multi-million pound licensing deal to keep sweet, they're unlikely to really know how well it's working this year until the beta testing is finished anyway.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • LSKoneLSKone Member Wheel Nut
    Operator1 said:

history of releasing titles with substantial gameplay-impacting bugs/glitches/issues/problems
    Although I still have a little bit of hope left, sadly, the message is in fact very loud and clear.
    Can you please comment on this, @Faya ?
  • DiscoDaveDiscoDave Member Pit Crew
    edited July 5
    The bugmasters community staff are completely unwilling to make any comment about multiplayer.

It's very disappointing and unprofessional from such a known company.
    Post edited by DiscoDave on
  • UP100UP100 Member Petrol Head
    DiscoDave said:
    The bugmasters community are completely unwilling to make any comment about multiplayer.

It's very disappointing and unprofessional from such a known company.
    Aren't we the community?
  • vincenzo19vincenzo19 Member Wheel Nut
    LSKone said:
    Operator1 said:

Although I still have a little bit of hope left, sadly, the message is in fact very loud and clear.
    Can you please comment on this, @Faya ?
    If you can find a way to disguise our concerns and queries about stability/safety car etc as a PRE-ORDER question.... we might just get an answer...