Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Braking with AI - Consistency

Hello F1 Game community, I would like to ask you tips about two matters I have on the game(s) :smile:

First it's the braking point with AI : when I try to follow them through corners, I end up braking too late way too often or get surprised by their slow paces in the corners. I could dive-bomb at every corner but that's not really realistic, and so it forces me to keep using flashbacks while I would like to stop rely on them.
So I'm looking for tips to better judge the braking point, and to follow other AI cars in the game.

Second point is about Consistency, your own consistency not the one of the AI. When I look at Youtubers and Esports drivers, I'm always amazed how consistent they are with their driving. Meanwhile even if I did those races countless of times I will sometimes do stupid mistakes, like going too agressive on a corner for no reason, or too much in the grass etc. Sometimes I will go into a "robot mode" where I just drive almost without thinking and make absolutely no mistake, without even realizing how many laps I did. But when mistakes happen, once again I use flashbacks to recover from them.
So if you have tips about consistency apart from practice, I would be glad to hear them !

Comments

• Donone84Donone84 Member New Car Smell
    I totally recognize your issue, its the same for me! Follow
  • JR6492JR6492 Member Unleaded
    Stop using flashbacks, it will make you  more consistent as you’ll have to be more aware of possible mistakes you could make.

its annoying getting used to but worth it in the end
  • SmiXSmiX Member New Car Smell
    I don't know what assists do you use, but the biggest improvement for me years ago was not using the driving line assist. You'll find your breaking points more naturally as you drive more and I am not speaking about practicing - you'll feel it, feel your speed better because you will not focus on that line so you can see more from track and find the braking spots more naturally. Also check your FOV settings for better experience ;-) But that comes with time, so practice or simply racing is the best experience you can gain.
    Also try harder AI (which is very bad as it simply goes the track it knows and doesn't see you) so you will be unable to dive in every corner and also you can try to folow the AI to see how it drives (where it brakes). You might want to take longer races because you will be unable to win the race from deeper position on start and fights with AI takes more time.
    I also agree with not using the flashbacks, but with that bad AI which doesn't see me or tries to overtake me behind SC, I do have it enabled just for this cases. But I never used that to fix my mistakes or crashes.
    And final tip is (you don't want this one again) practice! But think about ESports drivers gain with that practice. They are driving much more than us so they get the feeling for the car handling and gain experience on the track (and can much better feel the different setups, but that's another story), they find the best braking spots and driving lines and remember it. But the consistency comes when you think ahead - they have an idea about the next corner - where they want to enter it, where to start accelerate and where they want to finish behind the turn ...
    Inconsistency is when you don't know how to get through the (every) turn or you are not focused on that and every lap you are taking it differently.
  • echo321echo321 Member Unleaded
    What difficulty do you drive? Upping the slider will make the AI quicker, also in the corners.
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 9
    Braking late is the issue, it works only when taking an opponent on, otherwise you are going to be even slower out of the corner, brake earlier and gain more speed out of the corner, if its a straight you'll have the advantage of a free slipstream for a possible overtake, or if another corner more likely to be able to get along side preferably on the inside of the next corner.

I assume you are using controller? Everyone has the consistency issue with controllers. They just aren't that smooth and accurate to use for the best wheel to wheel, I love it and can wheel to wheel but you can still get caught out easily, the smoothness of turning is very low and so turning with the AI can be patchy at best, expect a little wheel knocking..

My advice for getting used to it and being as smooth as possible is keep doing career, if you fail a lot you will learn from it more than just doing meaningless quick races. Every time you damage your wing pit for a new one, keep penalising yourself and you will focus more on that issue. I don't recommend online as lag as well as controller users just don't go as 1.. The collision system is terrible, you can go flying with a small nudge from a dirty player and DNF which will only put you off racing altogether! Keep practicing and you'll get the confidence to push hard while keeping out of trouble.
  • MaxSpiltzMaxSpiltz Member Unleaded
    SmiX said:
    I don't know what assists do you use, but the biggest improvement for me years ago was not using the driving line assist. You'll find your breaking points more naturally as you drive more and I am not speaking about practicing - you'll feel it, feel your speed better because you will not focus on that line so you can see more from track and find the braking spots more naturally. Also check your FOV settings for better experience ;-) But that comes with time, so practice or simply racing is the best experience you can gain.
    First about assists, I use no brake assist but I do use anti-lock brakes, medium traction control, racing line and manual gearbox.
    Disable the line assist is a really good point, I will try it but I know what I tend to have a hard times judging brake distances in game (while it's crystal clear when I drive my IRL car...). Also what FOV settings do you use for offset T-Cam ?

SmiX said:
    Also try harder AI (which is very bad as it simply goes the track it knows and doesn't see you) so you will be unable to dive in every corner and also you can try to folow the AI to see how it drives (where it brakes). You might want to take longer races because you will be unable to win the race from deeper position on start and fights with AI takes more time.
    I race with 104% AI most of the times on 50% races.

JR6492 said:
    Stop using flashbacks, it will make you  more consistent as you’ll have to be more aware of possible mistakes you could make.

its annoying getting used to but worth it in the end
    Mmmh good point but sometimes it's way too frustrating. Also since Codemasters put this option available, you always tend to use it even if you don't want to ^^.

SmiX said:
    But the consistency comes when you think ahead - they have an idea about the next corner - where they want to enter it, where to start accelerate and where they want to finish behind the turn ...
    Inconsistency is when you don't know how to get through the (every) turn or you are not focused on that and every lap you are taking it differently.
    That's maybe the best point I should learn. I know what in F1 2016 I was using automatic gearbox because I thought it was impossible to think gears ahead of corners as it's way too fast, and gosh my first time with manual felt terrible. But now I feel like the driving is way more realistic.

Braking late is the issue, it works only when taking an opponent on, otherwise you are going to be even slower out of the corner, brake earlier and gain more speed out of the corner, if its a straight you'll have the advantage of a free slipstream for a possible overtake, or if another corner more likely to be able to get along side preferably on the inside of the next corner.

I assume you are using controller? Everyone has the consistency issue with controllers. They just aren't that smooth and accurate to use for the best wheel to wheel, I love it and can wheel to wheel but you can still get caught out easily, the smoothness of turning is very low and so turning with the AI can be patchy at best, expect a little wheel knocking..
    I'm actually using a wheel, Thrustmaster with Ferrari add-on.
  • kipkluifkipkluif Member Wheel Nut
    To learn your breaking points fast, just brake at the 100 meter sign next to the circuit.

You will soon notice that for some corners you can brake at around 70 meter and in some corners like the first 1 in Monza near the 150 meter sign.
    kipkluif said:
    To learn your breaking points fast, just brake at the 100 meter sign next to the circuit.

You will soon notice that for some corners you can brake at around 70 meter and in some corners like the first 1 in Monza near the 150 meter sign.
    Yeah I was usually following the signs, but for example in Monza I always get surprised how hard you have to brake even if you do it really early.
    @MaxSpiltz ;

I actually stopped using flashbacks because I started getting into more online racing and there you don’t have flashbacks so it made sense for me.

but if you do it you’ll start to be more patient when trying to overtake and not every lap has to be a hot lap. The more consistent you are the better. Only time I’d recommend flashbacks is in TT if you’re having problems with a particular corner. 

Also driving in the helps me with braking points and what lines to take etc.. as you’re generally going much slower through corners and braking a tad earlier.
    Try tapping the brake a few times rally style before the big brake, it can help slow you faster without locking up too, better on the tyres and in some instances keeping more speedt hrough the corner. I do this on corners like at China turn 14 and Monza turn 1. Personally I find it works nicely.
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Team Principal
    I'd also recommend turning off the racing line, because that's when you really start to learn the track, it forces you to know each corner well and it should make you more consistent once you're driving with your own knowledge of the track, instead of trying to follow and adapting to a colored line you don't know from memory.

It can be pretty hard the first laps but I think you'll find it easier to get used to than you'd think. It gets a lot more enjoyable when you can start driving your own way; finding your own lines, references for braking points etc. Eventually you'll be able to visualize driving a lap of the track in your mind,  once you know the track that well you'll most certainly be much more consistent :) 
    I'd also recommend turning off the racing line, because that's when you really start to learn the track, it forces you to know each corner well and it should make you more consistent once you're driving with your own knowledge of the track, instead of trying to follow and adapting to a colored line you don't know from memory.

It can be pretty hard the first laps but I think you'll find it easier to get used to than you'd think. It gets a lot more enjoyable when you can start driving your own way; finding your own lines, references for braking points etc. Eventually you'll be able to visualize driving a lap of the track in your mind,  once you know the track that well you'll most certainly be much more consistent :) 
    I tried it a couple of times but found it really hard as some corners seem way too dark or blurry for me to analyze when I should start to brake. For example in corner 6 of Monza, I feel like going into a blind spot and can't distinguish track/barrier/grass. On corner 8, it's quite clear but it feels really blurry to try looking for the corner as you come down the straights.

I can only agree with you that it'll certainly be way more enjoyable but due to those two points, I really find it too hard.
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Team Principal
    MaxSpiltz said:

I tried it a couple of times but found it really hard as some corners seem way too dark or blurry for me to analyze when I should start to brake. For example in corner 6 of Monza, I feel like going into a blind spot and can't distinguish track/barrier/grass. On corner 8, it's quite clear but it feels really blurry to try looking for the corner as you come down the straights.

I can only agree with you that it'll certainly be way more enjoyable but due to those two points, I really find it too hard.
    Okay, in the end you should always just play the way you enjoy it of course! But I'm just wondering if you say it's too blurry, maybe you should reduce the motion blur in the graphics settings, or reduce the FOV to make the corners more visible?

Also if you ever want to give it another shot without the racing line, you can try and find your own reference points for braking, you don't always have to use the markers boards. Some corners you'll know after a while to brake at the beginning of a kerb for example, a lamp post or flag, just anything that stands out for you.

MaxSpiltz said:

Might be your tv try adjusting gamma settings. I couldn’t see brake markers for turn 3 in Australia and some on Russia aswell
    The worst thing for racing your own line is coming back to the track acclimatisation for me, switching from extreme racing line to free mode racing is tough. But I am much quicker using my own line.
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Race Steward
    @MaxSpiltz

I can only add to the awesome tips and tricks our fella colleagues already have posted here.

You stated the following:

>I race with 104% AI most of the times on 50% races.

>I use no brake assist but I do use anti-lock brakes, medium traction control, racing line and manual gearbox.

My personal advice:

Number 1 tip to anyone interested in beating the E-Sports fellas is to never bump up the AI to the "Maximum" whilst driving with Assists on, as this, usually, only creates a illusion of speed and consistency and does not represent actual driver skill.

It's always the better choice to learn No Assists Driving with the AI towned down to each individual level of skill of the player, imo 50 - 60 difficulty is a good starting point and if you are too fast bump up the AI in increments of 10's as that will give you a more challenging curve to master than doing it by 1's.

Yes, it might take a long time, but the end results will be extraordinary indeed.

"Just do it." (Shia LaBeouf)

Take the "Black Pill".....

#NukeHumanity
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Race Steward
    edited July 14
    kipkluif said:

I'd also add that watching real life onboard footages from the actual F1 drivers gives a good idea on how to brake / turn / accelerate efficiently, lots of info to gather from the pros.

But in all honesty the game isn't a perfect simulation and not even close to it by any means so imo to get the ultimate "ingame" knowledge loading up the Ghosts of E-Sports members on TT and having a thorough look at their UDP Telemetry Racing Line is the way to go to become even faster once you can beat the real life pole laps especially as the TT aliens are about 2 - 5 seconds faster anyways.

If only the games handling would become a bit more difficult to drive so that the E-Sports fellas would only be able to be just as fast as the irl pole laps.....

PS: F1 Championship Edition's BTA Markers would greatly help people that are interested in learning driving without the racing line, hope Codies will implement it sooner than later to help nubs and scrubs.

Even better, the inclusion of a actual fullfledged "Driving School" Game Mode!
    Post edited by LilBrown47 on
    Take the "Black Pill".....

#NukeHumanity