Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[Poll] What is your favourite Codies F1 game so far?

I’m feeling fairly certain that F1 2017 will probably win the vote, but what I’m more curious about is what people consider their 2nd and 3rd favourite Codemasters F1 games :)  

Are there certain older games that had particular features that you preferred? The overall feel and presentation of a particular game? etc. 

[Poll] What is your favourite Codies F1 game so far? 95 votes

F1 2009 (Wii & PSP)
1%
iasonstv 1 vote
F1 2010
7%
LGS469kristiansa1LuismiNieto74m260602Flazh92NasomEvansR5 7 votes
F1 2011
4%
UP1002PacalypseUjhelyi91mceci1 4 votes
F1 2012
4%
mykalboiauroborosNightfire1964JR6492 4 votes
F1 Race Stars
1%
PrinceMagnus 1 vote
F1 2013
10%
GPKingSmTuNggReub09Morbidellispeeddemon8021ASFEsebasdenbElikianLSKonebennydyer01 10 votes
F1 2014
0%
F1 2015
0%
F1 2016
9%
LilBrown47f1racerAYLiverpoolrule19Turn1SeagullMrCosta96Bankai3987ChironTheseusiRaYzOrstephensmattlee 9 votes
F1 2017
62%
sjsharp2010LFSwickedR4pp3rJupiterJoeRickPhotosphereCap10Dez0808Falcon4sanderv1981Tunari89heideldrumdwin20CavSTiagoCmdrCodykipkluifWorntoathreadTheodorGRblakeymikeyCionntSailecarpa 59 votes

Comments

• stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Co-Driver
    F1 2016
    I’ll start it off, in the build up to F1 2018 I’ve been dipping back into some of the older F1 games and after playing F1 2017 pretty much exclusively since its release I went back and tried F1 2015 and 2016 again just recently.

As much as I probably feel F1 2017 has the best handling model and the fullest amount of features so far, there’s still something about F1 2016 that I really enjoy. 

Okay it may lack the classic cars and deeper R&D, but there’s something I really like in the slightly less forgiving handling of the cars with no assists, plus the overall look and feel of the game just seemed very polished. 

F1 2015 was the starting point of the new console generation and I guess Codies had to honour their yearly release schedule with the license, but for me the lack of career mode really hurt the game. Only positive was that at least Codies threw in the 2014 season with it to try and boost the features a little. 

Aside from the newer titles, F1 2013 still holds a special place for me, was technically my introduction to the series and wow was it challenging (until I found that the assists actually held you back in terms of speed), I still keep coming back to this one from time to time as I still find it very challenging even now, plus it also had the introduction of classic cars ;)
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Co-Driver
    F1 2016
    Must say I’m very surprised F1 2010 being the second favourite so far. I’m guessing it was a lot more to do with the immersion and overall feel of the game? :)
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    F1 2017

It's close between 3 for me as I love 2010 2012 and 2017 but I vote 2017 mostly because of the classics and expanded career.

Must say I’m very surprised F1 2010 being the second favourite so far. I’m guessing it was a lot more to do with the immersion and overall feel of the game? :)

I think I thas moer to do with the fact 2010 was the first to introduce us to the live the life concept. 2016 was the first in the current gen era to reintroduce it.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Race Engineer
    F1 2013
    I guess this is a career moders vote then coz how any one can think 2017 is the best game is a completely alien concept to me coz it’s utter trash.
  • LemagragLemagrag Member New Car Smell
    F1 2017
    f1 2017
    Sure it has some problems, but tell me about one game that hasnt any probelems.

• WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Team Principal
    F1 2017
    F1 2017, for the handling, career mode & classic cars, good amount of content. Online is a different story though..
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Race Steward
    F1 2016
    F1 2016.

It works better than F1 2017 for the most part, has got similar features and thus is the clear winner as a overall package, but still imho it's the game that F1 2012 should have been.....

PS: Who can forget the McLaren-Honda + JB22?! ♥♥♥

PPS: If the question was about all F1 Games ever produced; 

1. Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix Series (PC)

2. F1 Challenge 99 - 02 (PC)

3. F1 97 (PS1)

4. F1 Championship Edition (PS3)

5. F1 World Grand Prix Series (N64)

Take the "Black Pill".....

#NukeHumanity
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Steward
    edited July 11
    F1 2011
    4. F1 Championship Edition (PS3)

Oh god, why? Sure it has some features current games should take inspiration of, but most of it just sucks. Not even a proper wheel support in a racing game which supports racing wheels...

E: I just don't like that game really. Nothing else to say. I want to find the reasons you like it so much. Once again I sound "quite" aggressive.
    Post edited by UP100 on
  • Tunari89Tunari89 Member Wheel Nut
    F1 2017
    2017 is my favorite, but 2013 and 2016 both are up there on my top list too. Really don't like 2010 or 2011 anymore that much, even though back then both were awesome games...
    edited July 11
    F1 2016
    @UP100

>Oh god, why? 

Pros:
    -Official TV Broadcast style + Official HUD (Why is this not in Codies "Official" F1 game yet?)

-Intelligent Alternative Car Liveries for Tobacco and or Alcohol Sponsoring (Something Codies should sit down and learn from as Studio Liverpool actually did it many years ago already)

-Expanded Car Settings (That can be automatically suited to your personal Driving Style through FP | Codies need to take a look at this feature from the past as setting up the car is a very important aspect of racing)

-Telemetry Data (A Must Have in any F1 or Racing game)

-Classic Cars (As Unlockables)

-Hard Career Mode (It's not easy to get to the top and you start as a Test Driver to work your way up | Another feature Codies could learn from + How about Karting & Feeder Serieses & Winter Testing?)

-Dynamic Weather System that actually allows for very crazy strategies (Codies Weather System could be more dynamic tbh to make the experience on track a pure surprise)

-Super Aggressive AI that will fight for position and or attack like their lives depended on it (Sadly Codies AI didn't get massively improved over the years)

-BTA Markers as Race Line for Nubs & Scrubs (B=Brake; T= Turn; A = Accelerate | And Another feature that Codies can learn from)

-TV Replay Theater Mode (Why is this not a feature in Codies F1 Games?)

-Good Online Connection (Sadly MP support was dropped by SONY quite a while ago..... | Dedicated Servers + Ping Lock is a Must Have for Codies to implement in the next couple of years)

-Old Classic Logitech Wheel Support (It's quite difficult or even near impossible to get modern Wheels to work with this game but that ain't a big problem if you got one of the oldies)

-You can change up the grid however you want at the start of the race (Another feature that Codies can learn from)

-Impressive Damage Model (Though still far from perfect | Depends on licensing whether or not Codies can do something about this)

-You can drive as a Female Driver in Career Mode (More Avatars should be available in Codies F1 games and having Unlockable Custom Accessories such as additional and new official Balaclavas / Gloves / Visor Tints / Helmet Designs / Knee Pads / Shoes etc. would be great to have to pimp up our custom driver for both SP & MP)

-National Anthems on Podiums (Why isn't this in Codies F1 game?)

-Amazing Sense of Speed (Codies could use some more Blur Effects on objects passing by on the sides of the view to increase Sense of Speed as a graphical option tbh)

-Overall Great Audiovisuals for that time (Codies F1 engine sounds are still far from perfect, this time they seem to only have gotten close with 1 of the 2 unique Ferrari Turbo Whistles but the rest is still a disaster)

-Lots of Info in the Menus for both Nubs & Scrubs to learn about all the different Setups, Racing Etiquette and Driving Styles etc. (Imo a Driving School would be a great outstanding feature for Codies F1 franchise)

Cons:
    -No MP anymore

-Ultra Difficult Career Mode

-Only 3 Difficulties to choose from

-Over Aggressive AI 

-No Difficulty Slider / No AI Speed Slider / No AI Aggressiveness Slider (Having these different sliders in a Racing Game is a Must Have, and that counts for Codies too)

-Bad Wheel and Accessory Support

-No Career Cutscenes or Cinematics 

-No Interviews in Career Mode

-No Choice what to do R&D on in Career Mode

-No Button Mapping for Pad Drivers

-No Laserscanned / Dronescanned tracks (Having Laser- or Dronescanned tracks in a Racing Game is a Must Have, and that counts for Codies too)

-No Classic Tracks (Having additional Classic Tracks in a Racing Game is a Must Have, and that counts for Codies too)

-No Safety Car

-Ultra Harsh Penalty System

-Bugged Track Limits

-Auto Spin Kerbs

F1 CE is a great title to experience "officiality" to the maximum, but for a immersive career mode F1 Challenge 99 - 02 or F1 97 or the F1 World Grand Prix Series is the better pick, and for those seeking ultimate on track battles with the AI there is no way around Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix Series, if people are more interested in the handling and physics and don't care about all the other aspects of the full package any simulator will do (rFactor / iRacing / Assetto Corsa / RaceRoom / Automobilista / Project Cars Series etc.).

Hope Codemasters will be able to make the best F1 game ever made, but after 9 years of disappointment i doubt that'll ever happen.....

(In my opinion Codies F1 franchise sadly falls short in almost all aspects if compared to its competition, there are still way too many features missing for Codemasters to be even remotely able to claim the crown of the best F1 title ever produced, i'm not going to start listing up all the bugs and glitches of Codies F1 games as i guess people already know about them as well as i do)
    Post edited by LilBrown47 on

#NukeHumanity
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Steward
    edited July 12
    F1 2011
    -Hard Career Mode (It's not easy to get to the top and you start as a Test Driver to work your way up | Another feature Codies could learn from + How about Karting & Feeder Serieses & Winter Testing?)
    Only hard because test driver times are quicker than actual AI pole times. Otherwise it's ridiculously easy at times.

Which are ****.

-Dynamic Weather System that actually allows for very crazy strategies (Codies Weather System could be more dynamic tbh to make the experience on track a pure surprise)
    You forgot to mention that AI are OP in the rain and the rain looks like ****.

-Super Aggressive AI that will fight for position and or attack like their lives depended on it (Sadly Codies AI didn't get massively improved over the years)
    The AI will slow down behind you if you have a time penalty. The AI does idiotic moves with no chance of succeeding.

-Old Classic Logitech Wheel Support (It's quite difficult or even near impossible to get modern Wheels to work with this game but that ain't a big problem if you got one of the oldies)
    No actual settings to change. DFGT works, but the FFB is ridiculous. DF Pro was supported which is DFGT's older brother. No steering linearity, saturation, deadzone, ffb strength. Not even input mapping.

-You can change up the grid however you want at the start of the race (Another feature that Codies can learn from)
    Codies looked into patching grid changes into GP mode. Multiplayer allows you to do it in the lobby.

-You can drive as a Female Driver in Career Mode (More Avatars should be available in Codies F1 games and having Unlockable Custom Accessories such as additional and new official Balaclavas / Gloves / Visor Tints / Helmet Designs / Knee Pads / Shoes etc. would be great to have to pimp up our custom driver for both SP & MP)
    You can be a female driver in F1 2017.
    Codemasters F1 games have so many different nationalities that finding the CORRECT high quality (without a chance of being copyright claimed) national anthem for every nationality is quite hard and time consuming. Why not fix the game first?

-Amazing Sense of Speed (Codies could use some more Blur Effects on objects passing by on the sides of the view to increase Sense of Speed as a graphical option tbh)
    Blur can be increased from the settings and using higher quality graphics.

Still ****. It's "difficult" just because the cars handle terribly and because the test driver times are just... wrong

It really looks like you just tried to find reasons to like this game... I bought it some years ago and to this day I hate it for just being plain bad. You can't even map your own controls in it. You have to select from presets.

Some other negatives:
    -No car development. All teams are exactly as good as in the first season compared to every other Codies game apart from F1 2015.
    -Engineer mostly useless compared to F1 games' Jeff or maybe even Andy
    -Pit stops are a mess
    -The cars handle like a boat.
    -Animations are... Uhh. Just look at them
    -This game is also not even close of being bug free with my experience.

The best thing about the game is basically James Allen.

Also keep in mind I'm not attacking you. I just can't see those things as positives at all. Maybe it's the fact that I'm used to actually have a game which supports the simplest things which is input mapping.

Also I'm not continuing this from this point onwards. Let's not take over the thread.

Post edited by UP100 on
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Team Principal
    F1 2017
    2017 despite it's issues has by far and away been the best game, without the glitches would 100% have been the best game. Other than 2017 I really really like 2013 aswell, purely because they way in which it was so easy to do wheel-to-wheel racing, that was just not possible on 2017. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
    F1 2017
    UP100 said:
    Only hard because test driver times are quicker than actual AI pole times. Otherwise it's ridiculously easy at times.

Which are ****.

You forgot to mention that AI are OP in the rain and the rain looks like ****.

The AI will slow down behind you if you have a time penalty. The AI does idiotic moves with no chance of succeeding.

No actual settings to change. DFGT works, but the FFB is ridiculous. DF Pro was supported which is DFGT's older brother. No steering linearity, saturation, deadzone, ffb strength. Not even input mapping.

Codies looked into patching grid changes into GP mode. Multiplayer allows you to do it in the lobby.

You can be a female driver in F1 2017.
    Codemasters F1 games have so many different nationalities that finding the CORRECT high quality (without a chance of being copyright claimed) national anthem for every nationality is quite hard and time consuming. Why not fix the game first?

Blur can be increased from the settings and using higher quality graphics.

Still ****. It's "difficult" just because the cars handle terribly and because the test driver times are just... wrong

It really looks like you just tried to find reasons to like this game... I bought it some years ago and to this day I hate it for just being plain bad. You can't even map your own controls in it. You have to select from presets.

Some other negatives:
    -No car development. All teams are exactly as good as in the first season compared to every other Codies game apart from F1 2015.
    -Engineer mostly useless compared to F1 games' Jeff or maybe even Andy
    -Pit stops are a mess
    -The cars handle like a boat.
    -Animations are... Uhh. Just look at them
    -This game is also not even close of being bug free with my experience.

The best thing about the game is basically James Allen.

Also keep in mind I'm not attacking you. I just can't see those things as positives at all. Maybe it's the fact that I'm used to actually have a game which supports the simplest things which is input mapping.

Also I'm not continuing this from this point onwards. Let's not take over the thread.

Not to forget his "How about Karting & Feeder Serieses". 
    No. Just, NO. For crying out loud, YET AGAIN, it's F1 licenced game, thus the name: F1 20XX, Not FIA Formula Racing 20XX. There ARE NO good reason to add bloody Feeder series, or karting, to that matter into the game, when it's official F1 game. Absolutely NONE. Nada.
    You want game with feeder series and Karting in it? Tough luck. As far, as there's no interest for "FIA Formula Racing", there won't be officially licensed F1 game with feeder series. Tough luck.

As for F1 2006, or rather "Championship Edition" Never played it, but have watched some vids from YouTube about it. And tbh, it looks like ****. Of course, everyone can have their own opinion about it.
    But putting it on the same list with Geoff Crammond's GP series is blasphemy. That's again, just my opinion. Even though, I have played only GP3 and GP4, and both are close to my heart, even though they are old af already.
    edited July 12
    F1 2016
    @UP100

Hence why i wrote a very specific paragraph at the end of my previous post stating how these varying F1 games will be appealing to different tastes:

"F1 CE is a great title to experience "officiality" to the maximum, but for a immersive career mode F1 Challenge 99 - 02 or F1 97 or the F1 World Grand Prix Series is the better pick, and for those seeking ultimate on track battles with the AI there is no way around Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix Series, if people are more interested in the handling and physics and don't care about all the other aspects of the full package any simulator will do (rFactor / iRacing / Assetto Corsa / RaceRoom / Automobilista / Project Cars Series etc.)."

But i agree let's stop arguing here.

#NukeHumanity
    edited July 12
    F1 2016
    @Tunari89

>.....There ARE NO good reason to add bloody Feeder series, or karting, to that matter into the game, when it's official F1 game.....

Moto GP got it, and has shown how bloody well it functions to increase realism and immersion, so why shouldn't Codemasters do the same?

"FIA Formula Racing" is a much more appealing idea than a annual release of dysfuntional "F1 20XX", especially with the outrageous price tag that Codies currently demand for their F1 titles.

Either way, making one base game to add each and individual season into it afterwards as DLC Packs that'd cost small fess of at least 5 bucks each would make much more sense, especially as the game would very likely stay consistent and could get dynamic improvements over the year.

This way all feeder serieses, all classic seasons, all classic cars, all classic tracks could slowly be incorporated into the game, creating a outstandingly unique racing game that never has been made before yet at this level of detail and sheer volume to its features.

A solid way to make Codemasters Formula Series become a name of its own, a "Must Have" for any petrolhead.

How anyone could object to such content as a fan of Formula 1 etc. is beyond any type of "petrolhead" comprehension, but to each their own.

In other words:

There are no excuses, except for Codemasters ultra tiny budget.....

#NukeHumanity
    edited July 12
    F1 2017
    @Tunari89

>.....There ARE NO good reason to add bloody Feeder series, or karting, to that matter into the game, when it's official F1 game.....

Moto GP got it, and has shown how bloody well it functions to increase realism and immersion, so why shouldn't Codemasters do the same?

"FIA Formula Racing" is a much more appealing idea than a annual release of dysfuntional "F1 20XX", especially with the outrageous price tag that Codies currently demand for their F1 titles.

Either way, making one base game to add each and individual season into it afterwards as DLC Packs that'd cost small fess of at least 5 bucks each would make much more sense, especially as the game would very likely stay consistent and could get dynamic improvements over the year.

This way all feeder serieses, all classic seasons, all classic cars, all classic tracks could slowly be incorporated into the game, creating a outstandingly unique racing game that never has been made before yet at this level of detail and sheer volume to its features.

A solid way to make Codemasters Formula Series become a name of its own, a "Must Have" for any petrolhead.

How anyone could object to such content as a fan of Formula 1 etc. is beyond any type of "petrolhead" comprehension, but to each their own.

In other words:

There are no excuses, except for Codemasters ultra tiny budget.....

Yet again, MotoGP IS different, as Moto 3 and Moto 2 are part of the brand, unlike F2, GP3 (to be re-branded as F3 next season) etc. So don't even bring the "Oh, but MotoGP got it" argument in this. F2, GP3 etc IS NOT part of F1 brand, and NEVER will be.

EDIT: You can disagree all you want, but the truth is just that. Moto 2 AND Moto 3 both are included in MotoGP license. F2 and GP3 aren't included in F1 license. And THAT'S why it's unlikely, that we would ever see feeder series in official F1 game. Plus, if there would be feeder series in the game, it wouldn't be Formula 1 game anymore, it would indeed be called Formula Racing.
    Post edited by Tunari89 on
    edited July 12
    F1 2016
    @Tunari89

>Yet again, MotoGP IS different, as Moto 3 and Moto 2 are part of the brand, unlike F2, GP3 (to be re-branded as F3 next season) etc. So don't even bring the "Oh, but MotoGP got it" argument in this. F2, GP3 etc IS NOT part of F1 brand, and NEVER will be.

F1 / F2 / F3 will be merged just like MotoGP starting from 2019 onwards:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/3/formula-1-to-promote-the-fia-formula-3-championship.html

#NukeHumanity
    F1 2017
    @Tunari89

>Yet again, MotoGP IS different, as Moto 3 and Moto 2 are part of the brand, unlike F2, GP3 (to be re-branded as F3 next season) etc. So don't even bring the "Oh, but MotoGP got it" argument in this. F2, GP3 etc IS NOT part of F1 brand, and NEVER will be.

F1 / F2 / F3 will be merged just like MotoGP starting from 2019 onwards:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/3/formula-1-to-promote-the-fia-formula-3-championship.html

Hmm. Interesting. Though, this alone doesn't mean, that the feeder series should be included in the game.
    As I personally don't see it doing anything to the immersion of the game. Plus, there would be 3 different handling models, if there would be 3 different categories. And that would mean more stuff, that can be broken. You really want that?
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Wheel Nut
    F1 2016
    F1 2016 I definitely got more out of the career mode, hands down it would be 2017 if not for the team-mate and McLaren performance issues that were ongoing for so long. Online was easier with 2016 too, not as fun but with auto ghost mode there was no silliness on quick races, you could win by being the fastest rather than 2017s DNF because you got PIT'ed.. :(
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    Probably spent more time playing this one than any of the others, to be honest...

Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.