Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

AI don't get out the way when doing qualifying laps or fast laps in practice

dylanhughes15dylanhughes15 Member New Car Smell
For some reason the AI don't seem to get out the way or slow down when I am doing a fast lap. They just cruise on the racing line or turn at the corner as soon as I get there messing up my lap.
Below is a youtube clip of me doing my final qualifying run and the AI slows down late to get out the way and then turns the corner blocking me on my lap rather than waiting for me to go past. It has happened a few times before and I thought I would bring it up here. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPvVCW4wtyI&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• robin8frobin8f Member Wheel Nut
    To be honest they also often don't get out of the way during the race, it's **** really. Who cares about some fancy upgrade system in career mode when the game has countless problems in the gameplay itself
  • echo321echo321 Member Unleaded
    Time your laps better... 

Don't tell me my body is too short!
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Team Principal
    FRACTURED said:
    Was there a year where this was not an issue? 
    I don't think there was, I guess it's hard to get right though. I remember in one of the games they patched something in to improve their behavior, but the AI actually ended up constantly crashing themselves into walls to let you through which was quite funny.

I agree it's an important part of the gameplay to fix, it can be very frustrating when in qualifying you start your final flying lap and they're blocking the whole corner, pretty much forces you to restart the whole session.
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Wheel Nut
    They used to brake test you to the extreme one time lol! I remember having it easy somewhen but likely other issues, the pit exit has always been a dangerous DNF one that does need looking into as well as when a mass of drivers go into the pits, the first still seems often to come out last even when there is plenty of space to exit.
    As for backmarkers and slow practice guys you basically have to predict their moves, they will get out of your way if close enough but as soon as a corner comes up know they will hit that line hard so counter that.
    But one thing that has to change in practice is AI getting in the way during track acclimatisation.. That just drives me mad! You aren't timed but when you meet them in an area you still have to hit markers at a decent speed on the line no ifs or maybes that is just like a kick in the nads!
    By how often you can hear drivers complain in real life about other drivers blocking them, screaming in the radio"BLUE FLAGS, WHERE ARE BLUE FLAGS!!!!" and then reading the same here i would say codies just got it right ;) ... People always cry for more realism, but then complain when there is realism... 
    AI block themselves as well, so stop crying about something you do not even have a disadvantage and happens in real life aswell...

• s00zsters00zster Member Wheel Nut
    FRACTURED said:
    Was there a year where this was not an issue? 
    F1 2012. In practice and qualifying, they would move right over and slow down. They wouldn't try to race you. It was bliss.

Now it's "RARGH I don't care if you're on a hot lap and I've just come out of the pits, I'M GONNA KEEEEL YOOOOU". :s
  • martblokemartbloke Member Pit Crew
    echo321 said:
    By how often you can hear drivers complain in real life about other drivers blocking them, screaming in the radio"BLUE FLAGS, WHERE ARE BLUE FLAGS!!!!" and then reading the same here i would say codies just got it right ;) ... People always cry for more realism, but then complain when there is realism... 
    AI block themselves as well, so stop crying about something you do not even have a disadvantage and happens in real life aswell...

I think the issue is that they are not on a flying lap or racing, they know you are coming as you see them move and slow down for you to pass but they park it on the apex on the racing line. If that is true to life, then where's the AI penalty for blocking? "Not present, Miss!"

What you hear irl is when the cars in front are still racing and obviously trying to find a decent part of the track to allow the pass which doesn't impact them too much. This is just not quick enough for the faster driver's liking.
    I don't know what you try to tell me... It works fine for me... Maybe it's different on consoles? I'm on PC and it works fine.   Same with the safetycar. Never had any issiues with that aswell.
  • martblokemartbloke Member Pit Crew
    echo321 said:
    I don't know what you try to tell me... It works fine for me... Maybe it's different on consoles? I'm on PC and it works fine.   Same with the safetycar. Never had any issiues with that aswell.
    Fair enough. Then good for you! 😀👍

I don't know if it's specifically a platform thing but I have had this issue in most of their games over the years with the promise of improved AI and little proof in the pudding. Even when they did improve the AI completely like in this year's game they then proceeded to change it later (not for the better) in patches they released. 
    martbloke said:
    echo321 said:
    Fair enough. Then good for you! 😀👍

I don't know if it's specifically a platform thing but I have had this issue in most of their games over the years with the promise of improved AI and little proof in the pudding. Even when they did improve the AI completely like in this year's game they then proceeded to change it later (not for the better) in patches they released. 
    Well, i agree with you that is was seriously bad in 2016. :smiley:
  • vincenzo19vincenzo19 Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 12
    I dare any of you to pass on the inside of parabolica... the moment the car on the outside decides they want to pit, it doesnt matter what you do, black screen incoming!