Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Localised Weather

I remember back in F1 2012 (and 2014 too, I think), localised (or sector-by-sector) weather was actually a thing. To have the weather change over one part of the track, and then gradually spread to the whole track over a number of laps, the sort of thing you now get in Project Cars 2.

The first time I experienced this was in a race at Malaysia, absolutely black storm clouds coming towards the circuit, and then several laps later, it started to rain in sector 2, but stayed dry in the other half of the circuit. Being on softs, it was such a thrill rushing around the track and then suddenly having to go on tippy-toes around 3 or 4 corners, and wondering if it would go away and I could cling on without having to pit. And then a few laps after that, the whole track was wet, and strategies went out the window, everyone pitting, it was brilliant. It added a whole new level of immersion and strategy.

The sad thing is, this *seems* to have disappeared in F1 2017 (and 2016 before it). When it rains, it's the whole track or nothing. Any chance of this coming back? Or is it still in there and I'm just missing something?

Comments

• KittyFit90KittyFit90 Member Unleaded
    What gets me about the current weather system is how they present the percentages of precipitation. When they say 30% rain they mean it will rain for 30% of the race not that there's a 30% chance of rain. Never seen a weather forecaster do it that way in all my life.
    I am such a nerd LOL
  • Dez0808Dez0808 Member Pit Crew
    It's been that way since the start. They scrapped localised weather. There is a comment from Lee about it online somewhere 
  • AraqielAraqiel Member Wheel Nut
    What gets me about the current weather system is how they present the percentages of precipitation. When they say 30% rain they mean it will rain for 30% of the race not that there's a 30% chance of rain. Never seen a weather forecaster do it that way in all my life.
    You won't because they can't - a race track is still generally too small an area for most weather models to distinguish as a separate location (they usually work on grid boxes from 1x1km to 15x15km). A 30%  chance of rain means that they ran the model multiple times with slightly different initial conditions, to account for uncertainty and errors in the observations of the current conditions, and in 30% of them it rained in the grid box (which is probably a 25-100sq.km area) your location falls within.

Not that relevant to F1 overall but very few people understand what those percentage chances of precip. mean, so it's nice to spread the awareness.
  • s00zsters00zster Member Wheel Nut
    Dez0808 said:
    It's been that way since the start. They scrapped localised weather. There is a comment from Lee about it online somewhere 
    That's a shame. :(
  • VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Petrol Head
    I think Grand Prix 3 and 4 did localised rain.
  • Dez0808Dez0808 Member Pit Crew
    edited July 11
    Nah surely not. I thought before codemasters it was either dry or raining. Not dynamic at all. Although I am not sure I would call codemasters weather dynamic either really