Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Is this it?

Jay84Jay84 Member New Car Smell
ONRUSH is great but damn.... its shocking lack of content or any updates about dlc is really bad. Is RANKED goign to be the last patch this game ever gets? How about letting us all have access to the Deluxe dlc sincei t was only digital? 

Comments

• UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    I don't guess it is as we don't even have a PC version yet.
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    Given the layoffs today, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more, sadly.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion

July 23, 2018
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-23-layoffs-onrush-developer-evolution-driveclub-director-rushy-let-go
    "...The developer of Driveclub has been hit by layoffs after its latest game, OnRush, failed to set tills ringing...

Driveclub and OnRush director Paul 'Rushy' Rustchynsky - the face of both games and of the studio itself - is among those let go...

...Previously known as Evolution Studios, the Cheshire-based outfit was acquired by Codemasters in 2016 after former owner Sony ditched the developer...

...According to a source, OnRush sold just over 1000 physical copies during its launch week in the UK...

...OnRush's planned schedule of post-release content will not be affected by the layoffs, the publisher confirmed..."

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

• Jay84Jay84 Member New Car Smell
    Would be nice if they weren't such heartless creeps towards these guys, I hope they can find a GOOD studio that appreciates them. Also why not acutally TELL PEOPLE what the dlc shecdule is? Maybe then people will buy it because they know itll be supported. Right it feels like the worst game to buy because they have just chopped its head off. 
    Jay84 said:
    Would be nice if they weren't such heartless creeps towards these guys, I hope they can find a GOOD studio that appreciates them. Also why not acutally TELL PEOPLE what the dlc shecdule is? Maybe then people will buy it because they know itll be supported. Right it feels like the worst game to buy because they have just chopped its head off. 
    It's going to be hard recovering when you sold 1000 physical copies in the launch week and you developed that game for 2 years.
  • Jay84Jay84 Member New Car Smell
    UP100 said:
    Jay84 said:
    It's going to be hard recovering when you sold 1000 physical copies in the launch week and you developed that game for 2 years.
    Free dlc XD but yeah seriously they did no PR for this and then wondered why it crashed and burned. Then exploded, then caught fire again.  
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Champion
    edited July 24
    Not surprised measures have been taken.. Although I do feel sorry for the devs who put their heart into this, it has got to be one of the worst-promoted projects I've seen in recent years. Even my friends who are fans of Motorstorm hadn't heard of the game at all, or the open beta for that matter.

It's a real shame because I think it definitely had potential, I played the beta and actually thought the core gameplay was a lot of fun. In the end, I didn't buy it, I thought it felt pretty barebones for a full priced game and already had doubts about the longevity of the game's multiplayer base, given the lack of media attention and the lack of player activity on these forums. There's a total of 83 topics here, and that's including the entire open beta process..
    Post edited by Worntoathread on
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Race Steward
    The way I see it Codemasters have lost a very talented team of developers and no one can criticise their passion for what they were making.  Maybe things might have turned out differently if Codies had tasked them with making a new Grid game or something else that was already well established. They took a gamble on a new kind of game and wanted to go in a different direction to all the typical racing games of recent years, and its sad that the game never made the impact it’s developers deserved. I do have to admit the game could have done with better promotion but maybe Codies just wasn’t sure themselves how to market it or how much money to invest in marketing the game. 
    Either way I really wish the Rushy and the developers the best of luck and hope they find roles in other areas or in a new studio where they will one day get the success they deserve.
    I do have to admit the game could have done with better promotion but maybe Codies just wasn’t sure themselves how to market it or how much money to invest in marketing the game. 
    Well Codies weren't even the publishers, so I doubt they were that interested in the game (talking about the other Codies studios)
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion

Yes, OnRush was poorly promoted, but I don't think all the promotion in the world would have helped much. There's just not enough to the game to justify its price, let alone disc production & distribution. It might have had a bit more success if it had been priced & launched to compete in the same space as downloadable hits like Rocket League. Anybody with any relevant industry experience should have easily seen this project was doomed to fail from the start. It's not the developers' faults if their own management steered them down such an obvious dead-end path - but as is usually the case, workers bear the burden of bad leadership decisions.

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

• ProtomorphProtomorph Member New Car Smell
    edited August 1
    In my opinion, the game is really good (and I'm a sim racing guy). I was happier to pay full price for onrush than for dirt 4 (wich isn't bad by the way, just not compared to dirt rally). It's a pity the team was layed off I was hopping to see more sequels, at least for the next generation.
    Post edited by Protomorph on
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    UP100 said:
    I do have to admit the game could have done with better promotion but maybe Codies just wasn’t sure themselves how to market it or how much money to invest in marketing the game. 
    Well Codies weren't even the publishers
    They often aren't. Deep Silver are also publishing F1 2018 in some territories this year, as they did with last year's F1 and Dirt games, and Namco and Ubisoft have done in other years.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.