Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Audio Names

I’m sure most of you have seen Aarava’s preview career mode video today. At the beginning of the video he goes through the names that the commentators will say in quali and race results. After looking through the list there are no basic names such as: John, Brian amongst others. It’s unlikely that they will be added but it’s just a shame that basic names won’t be in the game. Should still be a very good game though. 

Comments

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    44jon06 said:
    I’m sure most of you have seen Aarava’s preview career mode video today. At the beginning of the video he goes through the names that the commentators will say in quali and race results. After looking through the list there are no basic names such as: John, Brian amongst others. It’s unlikely that they will be added but it’s just a shame that basic names won’t be in the game. Should still be a very good game though. 
    Yeah it looked like mostly surnames to me but I  couldn't tell really if my name was in there but then he cycled through it so quick I'm not sure what names were there exactly and what weren't. Besides I'm not bothered that much right now I'll worry about that when I get the game. As it's not really one of the priorities for me.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• SoluxFinSoluxFin Member Unleaded
    What's basic name in one country is complete gibberish in another. It would take them 100 years to get every basic name from every country and there would still be names they missed.
  • MrCosta96MrCosta96 Member Wheel Nut

Apparently, audio names are different per country. In Aarava's video, you see the english names.

In this picture I have, its in french and it shows other names. You can compare it yourself.

• echo321echo321 Member Wheel Nut
    Guess it's based on what language the game is set to. Because there are different commentators for every language. 
  • fcp4lifefcp4life Member New Car Smell
    SoluxFin said:
    What's basic name in one country is complete gibberish in another. It would take them 100 years to get every basic name from every country and there would still be names they missed.
    100 Years?  It took FIFA less than a year... and there are literally THOUSANDS  of audio names
  • fcp4lifefcp4life Member New Car Smell
    MrCosta96 said:

Apparently, audio names are different per country. In Aarava's video, you see the english names.

In this picture I have, its in french and it shows other names. You can compare it yourself.

Great I live in the US but im Portuguese neither my first nor last name are on there... and im a Costa myself! 
    MrCosta96 said:

It could also depend on what nationality you pick for your driver as well but  I'm not certain of that. Either way we'll discover in time.

• FTBuzzardFTBuzzard Member New Car Smell
    i wonder if there will be female names..
  • SoluxFinSoluxFin Member Unleaded
    fcp4life said:
    SoluxFin said:
    100 Years?  It took FIFA less than a year... and there are literally THOUSANDS  of audio names
    Yes, but FIFA still doesn't have all the names in the world, meaning someone will complain. It's impossible to have a name for everyone who buys the game. 
    FTBuzzard said:
    i wonder if there will be female names..
    Given there are female avatars now I'd think they'll  put a few in there maybe not many but hopefully a few

• BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Race Engineer
    fcp4life said:
    SoluxFin said:
    Still my name is not in it whilst I'm pretty sure I will find a version of my name in Formula 1. Never heard of a soccer player that carries my name but amongst Formula 1 drivers my name is pretty common. 
  • MrGhostO1OMrGhostO1O Member Race Steward
    What worries me more is the F1 anthem being constantly played in the BG.

Will most likely result in copyright claims on a lot of career mode videos except for Aarav and Ben.
  • FayaFaya Member admin

Hi all,

As the eagle eyed among you have noted, the name choices are mostly surnames, with a few nicknames thrown in too. The surnames do change, depending on language, and we used a selection of the some of the most popular in each territory.

• LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Petrol Head
    @Faya

Is there a possibility that the roster of audio names for F1 2018 will be further increased via patches / updates, or do you record them simply once before the release and are therefore only able to get additional lines of voice acting etc. for the next future titles, eg. F1 2019+?

Hope to see even more nicknames as well as common surnames as time passes.

------------------------------

My personal favorite nicknames of F1 2010 - 2014 were Iceman & Wizard, my actual surnames are Müller and Krishnan.
    Take the "Black Pill".....

#NukeHumanity
  • MrGhostO1OMrGhostO1O Member Race Steward
    I expected Philip or at least Phil to be in there like in 2013 but oh well, seems like I will continue to be called by my teams name.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    fcp4life said:
    SoluxFin said:
    And it's till missing thousands of normal names but plenty of suggestive footballer names, like (I am not trying to get around swear filter, this is one of the more popular pro club virtual Pro names...) Delta Yankee Charlie Kilo
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
    @Faya

Is there a possibility that the roster of audio names for F1 2018 will be further increased via patches / updates, or do you record them simply once before the release and are therefore only able to get additional lines of voice acting etc. for the next future titles, eg. F1 2019+?

Hope to see even more nicknames as well as common surnames as time passes.

------------------------------

My personal favorite nicknames of F1 2010 - 2014 were Iceman & Wizard, my actual surnames are Müller and Krishnan.
    I doubt it as they'd have to call in Crofty and co to rerecord them and given they're busy travelling from race to race as part of the media circus so it would be hard to pin them down and convince them to spend time doing it. Plus it seemed pretty obvious they would likely be surnames because that's what commentators generally use when talking about competitors even people like Martin Tyler does when talking football. They really likely get Crofty and Davidson in for a day or a couple of days or whatever and just record as much as they can anything else likely gets left.

• alnchnalnchn Member New Car Smell
    any names like "The Canadian" (in Formula 1 97), "The World Champion" (in Formula 1 98) and "The Torpedo"
  • FayaFaya Member admin
    Hi @LilBrown47,

I don’t believe there are any plans to update the list at this time, but I will forward this request to the team.
  • heideldrumheideldrum Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    edited August 2018
    What I really don't  untestand: In the english Version they put "Lewis" in, but not "Sebastian" or "Daniel".... Wouldn't it make sense to put at least all drivers names in each version, since the audio  comment has to record them anyway? 
    Post edited by heideldrum on
    MSI GT62VR 7RE - GTX 1070   Logitech G29