Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

No one angry at Codemasters?

I just wanted to express my feelings and see if I am the only one.

So Codemasters has just fired a very talented team just because the new game idea didn't sell too well. Am I the only one who thinks this is morally totally unacceptable?

So you work in a company that creates and sells many products, and just because one product doesn't sell well (the one you happen to work on), they immediately fire you and (almost) the whole team? Why don't they compensate with the income from the other products? Why not let the team create another game (with a well-known IP to walk on safe ground) and maybe compensate the current loss with the future success of that? Where did Business Planning go?

Is this the now work philosophy of the 21st century? Where is the solidarity, the appreciation for the team? Where is the "Teamgeist"? Also, how are new game ideas to be endorsed and supported if this is the outcome? Who will want to be part of these "experiments" pushing boundaries trying new things etc?

I used to love Codemasters, I was looking forward to try and buy ONRUSH on PC, but after Dirt4 and now this, I absolutely hate them.

In my company, not evey year is a good year for all products/brands we make. But thank God management is not so short sighted and the loss of one product is covered for by the success of another. Otherwise I wouldn't work for this company.

Comments

• UP100UP100 Member Petrol Head
    I can't see why I should be angry. Neither of us know what kind of politics there were when Onrush was being developed, as it wasn't even published by Codemasters. At least we still have the Onrush community manger here :)
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Co-Driver
    zissakos1 said:

I just wanted to express my feelings and see if I am the only one.

So Codemasters has just fired a very talented team just because the new game idea didn't sell too well. Am I the only one who thinks this is morally totally unacceptable?

So you work in a company that creates and sells many products, and just because one product doesn't sell well (the one you happen to work on), they immediately fire you and (almost) the whole team? Why don't they compensate with the income from the other products? Why not let the team create another game (with a well-known IP to walk on safe ground) and maybe compensate the current loss with the future success of that? Where did Business Planning go?

Is this the now work philosophy of the 21st century? Where is the solidarity, the appreciation for the team? Where is the "Teamgeist"? Also, how are new game ideas to be endorsed and supported if this is the outcome? Who will want to be part of these "experiments" pushing boundaries trying new things etc?

I used to love Codemasters, I was looking forward to try and buy ONRUSH on PC, but after Dirt4 and now this, I absolutely hate them.

In my company, not evey year is a good year for all products/brands we make. But thank God management is not so short sighted and the loss of one product is covered for by the success of another. Otherwise I wouldn't work for this company.

Very well said and you echo exactly how I feel after reading the news. Maybe Onrush wasn’t the safest choice for their first game as part of Codemasters, and maybe another Grid game would have been a safer choice. But I absolutely respect them for being brave enough to try something different. I don’t know how true it is about the game only selling a thousand copies but like you said maybe they could have used some of the profits of the more successful games to offset the difference and give them a second chance on a more established series.