Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Wheel recommendations PS4

Hi all, 

With F12018 upon us I am debating buying my first wheel for the PS4, dualshock controllers no longer seem to the way forward in racing games!

Would be great if anyone could recommend the best wheel for F1 gaming.

Cheers

Comments

• GregmomGregmom Member Unleaded
    You'll probably get a lot of G29 recommendations. I agree it is a good wheel but it has one major flaw - paddle shifts. I had to return my first one because paddle shifts were broken. They either registered 2 presses with 1 press or they didn't register it at all. They "fixed" it but not for long. Issue repeated itself couple of weeks later. I returned it and they gave me a new one and guess what. Same thing. Might be that I'm very unlucky but I'm not the only one with this problem. Search results on Google and views on YouTube suggest that it's quite a common issue. Very disappointed and wouldn't recommend. Unfortunately that's the only wheel I got to use for PS4 so I have nothing else to recommend. But it might still help with your decision.
  • Lippi1886Lippi1886 Member New Car Smell
    It depends on how much money you want to invest.

I own the Thrustmaster T300RS + the F1 Rim combined with the Wheel Stand Pro. It makes so much more fun with a wheel compared to the dual shock and you can go so much faster. It cost around 400 EUR.

If you can invest around 1000 EUR, go for the Fanatec.
    PSN: Lippi_Arsenal
    League Racer at www.sevenasleague.de
  • CombatphilippeCombatphilippe Member Unleaded
    If you have the money, go for a fanatec CSL elite (you can now get the starter pack: wheel + wheelbase + pedals, for €520)

i have a thrustmaster T300RS, But fanatec is Just So Much better imo. 
     (you can now get the starter pack: wheel + wheelbase + pedals, for €520)

Where?
  • Mobcat94Mobcat94 Member Unleaded
    Budget?
    1000€+ Fanatec CSL Elite +v3 Pedals + Racecockpit

400-500€ T300RS GT + Wheelstand Pro/ Playseat (+ Thrustmasters F1 Add-On)

200€ Logitech G29
    Lippi1886 said:
     (you can now get the starter pack: wheel + wheelbase + pedals, for €520)

Where?
    Just on fanatec.com

(at least that is the price I get, here in europe.)
  • CmdrCodyCmdrCody Member Wheel Nut
    Mobcat94 said:
    Budget?
    1000€+ Fanatec CSL Elite +v3 Pedals + Racecockpit

400-500€ T300RS GT + Wheelstand Pro/ Playseat (+ Thrustmasters F1 Add-On)

200€ Logitech G29
    Thrustmaster T150 is also a very good <€200 wheel.
  • Tunari89Tunari89 Member Wheel Nut
    Gregmom said:
    You'll probably get a lot of G29 recommendations. I agree it is a good wheel but it has one major flaw - paddle shifts. I had to return my first one because paddle shifts were broken. They either registered 2 presses with 1 press or they didn't register it at all. They "fixed" it but not for long. Issue repeated itself couple of weeks later. I returned it and they gave me a new one and guess what. Same thing. Might be that I'm very unlucky but I'm not the only one with this problem. Search results on Google and views on YouTube suggest that it's quite a common issue. Very disappointed and wouldn't recommend. Unfortunately that's the only wheel I got to use for PS4 so I have nothing else to recommend. But it might still help with your decision.
    Well. That's weird. Since I have had my G29 from late 2016 without any problems what-so-ever... Maybe I am one of those lucky ones, then, who knows? 

But anyways, G29, T150, or T300, or Fanatec, if you have the money, are all good wheels. Even though I haven't used T150, T300, or Fanatec. This here is actually again one of those cases, on what you yourself feel like. Do some research before making the decision on what to get. If you don't have that much money to spend on the wheel, then go for either Thrustmaster T150, T300, or Logitech G29. It is good wheel, but seems like it has it's problesm. Which to be honest, I have heard, that Thrustmaster wheels have their own problems as well. They, in the end, are just stuff, that can be faulty from the get go. And you will never know, if your unit is defective, or not.
  • GregmomGregmom Member Unleaded
    Tunari89 said:
    Gregmom said:
    Well. That's weird. Since I have had my G29 from late 2016 without any problems what-so-ever... Maybe I am one of those lucky ones, then, who knows? 

But anyways, G29, T150, or T300, or Fanatec, if you have the money, are all good wheels. Even though I haven't used T150, T300, or Fanatec. This here is actually again one of those cases, on what you yourself feel like. Do some research before making the decision on what to get. If you don't have that much money to spend on the wheel, then go for either Thrustmaster T150, T300, or Logitech G29. It is good wheel, but seems like it has it's problesm. Which to be honest, I have heard, that Thrustmaster wheels have their own problems as well. They, in the end, are just stuff, that can be faulty from the get go. And you will never know, if your unit is defective, or not.
    Nah it's probably me being unlucky. ;) Like you said, every wheel can have problems, I heard about other wheels having problems too. That's why I waited so long to get one. It's actually every device I get or want, I fear it might break. I could say I have a phobia about this.. :D
    The Thrustmaster wheels tend to reduce the power of the Force Feedback when they reach a certain temperature. I had the issue in serveral league races when suddenly the force feedback was gone...

• Tunari89Tunari89 Member Wheel Nut
    Lippi1886 said:
    The Thrustmaster wheels tend to reduce the power of the Force Feedback when they reach a certain temperature. I had the issue in serveral league races when suddenly the force feedback was gone...

Yeah. Overheating can be serious problem with Thrustmaster wheels, or that's what I have heard, anyways. Still doesn't really mean, that I wouldn't be interested into getting one (not to replace my G29, no, but more as a second wheel...) in the future. Note, wouldn't be interested. As of now, I don't have the need for it. But yeah, like said, Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels (not sure about Fanatec, haven't heard anything bad about it, actually) have their own problems. So, in the end, it's completely up to op which wheel he ends up buying. They are all good wheels, in the end.
  • Nickname85Nickname85 Member Unleaded
    Lippi1886 said:

After the firmware update that added the option to have the fan always turned on, it isnt that big of a problem anymore for me.
  • StreziStrezi Member, Codemasters New Car Smell
    Plays best on logitech G29. That wheel has the best feel of the damper work David is talking about in the dev diaries.
    Lippi1886 said:

After the firmware update that added the option to have the fan always turned on, it isnt that big of a problem anymore for me.
    How do I get the firmware update on PS4?
    Lippi1886 said:
    Lippi1886 said:

You have to plug it in to your PC
    I’ve had a thrustmaster T300rs for a couple of years now. Force feedback is decent, But Indeed, When it gets hot, tho force feedback drops. My Wheel is Also a couple of degrees off-center, Which is Quite annoying too.

thats Why Ive decided to switch to a fanatec CSL elite. I’ve had a fanatec before And they’re awesome.
    Lippi1886 said:
    Lippi1886 said:

I have a Mac...
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Champion
    edited August 10
    Lippi1886 said:
    Lippi1886 said:
    Lippi1886 said:

I have a Mac...
    Depending on when you bought the wheel, it might not be necessary to do the update. I bought my T300 just over a year ago and it came with the update installed, so I could set the cooling to 'always on' mode.