Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Game breaking bug, lagspikes, slowdowns. [PC]

supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a massive, nearly game breaking bug. I get a HUGE amount of lagspikes/slowdowns. In race, in time trial, event mode,...
It slows down, then speeds up and puts me into a wall. 
They happen, sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes every 20 seconds, sometimes only every 10 minutes.
These are just at random, sometimes when doing more intensive workloads in the game. Randomly freezed and speeds up. Very, very annoying.
I have experienced multiple other bugs, too much to even begin.

You know, I and everyone on this forum payed for this game. You expect a finished product, or at least a day one patch. Something!
Very disappointing and it just ruins the first impression of codemasters and f1 games for everyone.

Specs: Ryzen 1300x (small OC, but always stable, even in other games and in aida64); GTX 1060 3gb (zotac), 8gb ram(ddr4 @2666).
Normal cpu, gpu and ram usage.

If needed, I can provide game information files and video fragments.

Platform: PC,
Region: Belgium

Please fix this, thank you.
Post edited by supersnel on
«13456711

Comments

  • IceagecomimgIceagecomimg Member New Car Smell
    edited August 24
    I'm experiencing this too. But gpu usage drops to zero momentarily while the freeze occurs, which isn't normal you utilisation.

    Ryzen 1700 and 1080ti

    Could be something to do with the game's handling of ryzens?
  • WickedBasturdWickedBasturd Member Unleaded
    Game crashes right before Australia. Can't play.
  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    I'm experiencing this too. But gpu usage drops to zero momentarily while the freeze occurs, which isn't normal you utilisation.

    Ryzen 1700 and 1080ti

    Could be something to do with the game's handling of ryzens?
    Yeah, could be possible. I havent monitored my GPU usage yet, but I'll look for it.
    Hopefully this can be solved. I remebremthat Ben (aka Tiametmarduk) also had a similar issue and he also has a heavy duty gaming pc, but crucially also with a Ryzen CPU. Could be related to that then.

  • Jamesf172Jamesf172 Member New Car Smell
    I’ve an intel i7 and don’t get this issue at all so sounds like processor is the common factor....
  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    edited August 25
    I think it has to do something with the AI, or when there are other cars on track. I don't get it so much when doing time trial. And when lots of cars drive together, the issue seems to be more common.
    Post edited by supersnel on
  • CompLex1986CompLex1986 Member Wheel Nut
    Jamesf172 said:
    I’ve an intel i7 and don’t get this issue at all so sounds like processor is the common factor....
    I think it is GPU related. I am also getting this issue, but I have an i7. I have a GeForce GPU.
  • Willemq12Willemq12 Member New Car Smell
    I have same issue, and i have AMD processor as well, so that's probably issue connected with AMD CPU
  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    Do you guys have anymore information that could help CM to resolve this issue?

    @Hoo, @Faya ;
    I read the other post on older CPUs but it doesn't seem to be the same problem in this case. Can you look further into this. We will provide further details if necessary.
  • Willemq12Willemq12 Member New Car Smell
    edited August 25
    The most often issue is getting 0,2s -0,5s lag spikes at turns and its really affective while racing, My CPU is AMD Phenom X4 965 which has already got fixed it's compatilibity in beta version. I wish CM could do something with this error, which is not happening for the first time
  • Willemq12Willemq12 Member New Car Smell
    edited August 25
    It actually can be GPU as well, I've read similar articles and most of the errors were happening for people with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070/1080. It's still not fixing  my problem as my GPU is MSI Radeon R7 370 
  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    Willemq12 said:
    The most often issue is getting 0,2s -0,5s lag spikes at turns and its really affective while racing, My CPU is AMD Phenom X4 965 which has already got fixed it's compatilibity in beta version. I wish CM could do something with this error, which is not happening for the first time
    Yeah, I saw that post.
    I just get random slowdowns, also in turns, but not always.
    Things I have noticed: 
    There are 2 types of lagspikes, all occuring to us.
    *The random ones, just when driving on the circuit. (I mostly get these in races, practice, quali,...)
    *The ones related to a higher performance demand. When driving over polystyrene boards, when driving in the pit box, when cars ram in to you, when AI cars collide, when a flag gets triggered.

    In normal conditions I am getting about 120 FPS, but when the slowdowns happen it goes down to 15 FPS. Lowering the settings doesn't help and the game isn't bottlenecked by any component.
    @Hoo, something to do with AMD CPUs? And will installing the 1.04.1 test help anything on this? Is it worth a try or not?
  • Willemq12Willemq12 Member New Car Smell
    edited August 25
    I have the 1.04.1 as i have AMD Phenom processor, as you can see it didn't fix it for me, but it's worth of a try
    Edit: I will try the game with new drivers for GPU from AMD, gonna tell you if there is any difference.
  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    Willemq12 said:
    It actually can be GPU as well, I've read similar articles and most of the errors were happening for people with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070/1080. It's still not fixing  my problem as my GPU is MSI Radeon R7 370 
    Yeah, I'l check the post on the GTX 1070/1080, this could really have something to do with this. You're really helpful! We might be on to something right here. If just CM could give us some confirmation on what is causing this. That would be awesome.
  • Willemq12Willemq12 Member New Car Smell
    After making update to the drivers i can say that the game is a bit more playable - i mean the fact lag spikes are shorter, and i found out about really interesting thing, basically the lag spikes are happening when the car has physics impact like hitting the kerb, and contact with the other driver. I had perfectly fine pure game until i hit the kerb or touched another car.
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    supersnel said:

    There are 2 types of lagspikes, all occuring to us.
    *The random ones, just when driving on the circuit. (I mostly get these in races, practice, quali,...)
    *The ones related to a higher performance demand. When driving over polystyrene boards, when driving in the pit box, when cars ram in to you, when AI cars collide, when a flag gets triggered.

    In normal conditions I am getting about 120 FPS, but when the slowdowns happen it goes down to 15 FPS. Lowering the settings doesn't help and the game isn't bottlenecked by any component.
    @Hoo, something to do with AMD CPUs? And will installing the 1.04.1 test help anything on this? Is it worth a try or not?
    @supersnel - thanks for gathering the above information. It does sound like there are a couple of issues being reported here, so we will try and unpick what is happening. 
    If anyone posting into the thread could confirm exactly what type of slowdown issue they are seeing, and include basic PC specs, that would help us to track down this issue. 
    You can try the beta branch if you want, although it hasn't been tested on your configuration. If you do try it, you can simply change back to the main game (v1.04) at any time by setting the drop-down list in the beta branch tab to "NONE" and apply your change.
  • Willemq12Willemq12 Member New Car Smell
    @Hoo My Type of lag Spike is small  freeze on turns and sstraights and it mosty happens on car Physics impact like hitting kerbs, suspension work and contact with other car. It's really annoying considering the game works fine 
    My PC spec is 
    AMD Phenom x4 965 3.50 GHz 
    AMD Radeon R7 370 2GB 
    8 GB RAM 

  • AndyStratAndyStrat Member New Car Smell
    Jamesf172 said:
    I’ve an intel i7 and don’t get this issue at all so sounds like processor is the common factor....


    I'm on an i7 4790k and I can't even get the game to load. Just sits in a loop black screening all the time.
    Getting fed up waiting for a response.
  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    Hoo said:
    supersnel said:

    There are 2 types of lagspikes, all occuring to us.
    *The random ones, just when driving on the circuit. (I mostly get these in races, practice, quali,...)
    *The ones related to a higher performance demand. When driving over polystyrene boards, when driving in the pit box, when cars ram in to you, when AI cars collide, when a flag gets triggered.

    In normal conditions I am getting about 120 FPS, but when the slowdowns happen it goes down to 15 FPS. Lowering the settings doesn't help and the game isn't bottlenecked by any component.
    @Hoo, something to do with AMD CPUs? And will installing the 1.04.1 test help anything on this? Is it worth a try or not?
    @supersnel - thanks for gathering the above information. It does sound like there are a couple of issues being reported here, so we will try and unpick what is happening. 
    If anyone posting into the thread could confirm exactly what type of slowdown issue they are seeing, and include basic PC specs, that would help us to track down this issue. 
    You can try the beta branch if you want, although it hasn't been tested on your configuration. If you do try it, you can simply change back to the main game (v1.04) at any time by setting the drop-down list in the beta branch tab to "NONE" and apply your change.
    Ok, so I tried the beta, but as expected that didn't help.
    Here is some more information though. I made 2 video's that are showing what the game slowdowns are about.
    This first video is with All settings set to HIGH, TAA enabled, SSRT shadows on. In border less window mode. (And no, playing in full screen doesn't help.) The settings are quite high, but I'm getting 74 FPS on average, enough for my 60 Hz panel. (Usage is in the top left.)
    https://youtu.be/wU0h_mpG4BI?t=1m15s
    Timestamps for the game freezes: [1:332:152:303:023:203:303:413:484:304:404:51](are also in the comments)

    In this video, I ran with significantly lower settings. Still all settings to HIGH but with TAA checkerboarding and SSRT shadows disabled.
    It didn't help whatsoever as you can see in the video. I'm still getting the same amount of game freezes as before. I also tried to cause some crashes, to have a high amount of physics updates, so you can see the result. I'm getting about 96 FPS on average.
    https://youtu.be/p4IiMs1S6Ns?t=11s
    Timestamps for the game freezes: [0:310:371:211:502:012:182:393:453:564:10](are also in the comments)
    Look very good for the usage rates on the left. When a lagspike occurs, it sometimes goes down to zero.
    If you want, I can test it with more parameters visible on the rivatuner monitor.

    You didn't ask fot it but here's a copy of my dxdiag I ran anyway: 
    http://ge.tt/8P1CLEr2

  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    AndyStrat said:
    Jamesf172 said:
    I’ve an intel i7 and don’t get this issue at all so sounds like processor is the common factor....


    I'm on an i7 4790k and I can't even get the game to load. Just sits in a loop black screening all the time.
    Getting fed up waiting for a response.
    It doesn't look like your problem has anything to do with the lagspikes/gamefreezes, but I also want your problem to be fixed.
    Take a look at these posts: 
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/137463/pc-game-does-not-start-black-screen-and-the-whole-pc-freezes
    http//forums.codemasters.com/discussion/137329/f1-2018-crashing-while-trying-to-load-the-game-pc-solved
    Especially the first one.
    Submit your information and go further on that topic. Then you might get some response, but it's not clever to just say a bunch of useless information in another topic.
    Be very clear with your information there and tell them as much as you can. Then you might be able to solve the problem.
    Take a look at this for more info on how to submit a bug the right way: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/132514/f1-games-technical-assistance-bug-reports-please-read-before-posting#latest
  • Willemq12Willemq12 Member New Car Smell
    edited August 26
    supersnel said:
    AndyStrat said:
    Jamesf172 said:
    I’ve an intel i7 and don’t get this issue at all so sounds like processor is the common factor....


    I'm on an i7 4790k and I can't even get the game to load. Just sits in a loop black screening all the time.
    Getting fed up waiting for a response.
    It doesn't look like your problem has anything to do with the lagspikes/gamefreezes, but I also want your problem to be fixed.
    Take a look at these posts: 
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/137463/pc-game-does-not-start-black-screen-and-the-whole-pc-freezes
    http//forums.codemasters.com/discussion/137329/f1-2018-crashing-while-trying-to-load-the-game-pc-solved
    Especially the first one.
    Submit your information and go further on that topic. Then you might get some response, but it's not clever to just say a bunch of useless information in another topic.
    Be very clear with your information there and tell them as much as you can. Then you might be able to solve the problem.
    Take a look at this for more info on how to submit a bug the right way: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/132514/f1-games-technical-assistance-bug-reports-please-read-before-posting#latest
    I get the small lag spikes at EXACTLY same places as you do, but i don't get so big framedrops as game is all the time 60 fps, and these lag spikes are really annoying as I said before 
    Post edited by Willemq12 on
«13456711
This discussion has been closed.