Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[PC] [F1 2018] [BUG] Sound crackling, distorted and sped up when Sampling Rate is above 48kHz, again

CaotKirkCaotKirk Member New Car Smell
*sigh*
I can't belive that this bug , that was present in the launch Version of  F1 2016!, is again present in F1 2018. Codemasters, why?

Bug Report Form

Description
When starting the game the sound is distorted, crackling and sped up.
It happens when the sampling rate of the audio is set above 48kHz in the Windows audio settings.
The distorted, crackling and sped up sound is heard throughout the game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

System Spec
CPU: AMD FX-8370
GPU: AMD Radeon R 390 8GB
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
Headphones: Sennheiser PC 350 SE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32Gb DDR 3

Steps to reproduce
Set the sampling rate of the audio in Windows to 24/16bit/88,2kHz, 24/16bit/96kHz or 24/16bit/192kHz -> start the game -> listen to the Sound throughout the game. -> distorted, crackling and sped up sound
Set the sampling rate of the audio in Windows to 24/16bit/44kHz or 24/16bit/48kHz -> start the game -> listen to the Sound throughout the game. -> sound is almost normal, though some minor crackling can still be heard in Videos.
There might be other sampling rates above 24/16bit/48kHz affected by this bug.

Your recent history of races 
only offline, Quick Races and Time trial

Version of the Game

Which graphics preset were you using?
Ultra High
Post edited by CaotKirk on

Comments

• HramToNohamiHramToNohami Member New Car Smell
    Hi All,

I experience cracling and ripping sound specially when driving at high speed where the revs are really high. Hard to describe. Also Radio is ripping sometimes. i think this might be a issue with Creative as i read the post before and CaotKirk has also cretive:

System Spec
    CPU: I7 8700K
    GPU: nVidia 1080Ti Hybrid
    Soundcard: Creative SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY FX
    RAM: Corsair 16GB KIT DDR4 3000MHz C15 Vengeance

All drivers Bios ETC up to date. Game is installed on Samsung EVO 850 SSD. Latest game update installed. I have not tried to the sound from integrated mother board it might solve the issue. I will also try to adjust the rate of audio as advised above. Any more suggestions?

Thank you,

Regards

Ok the problem is not present when i set the bit rate to 24 bit, 44100 Hz. Anything above will produce crackling sound.
  • CaotKirkCaotKirk Member New Car Smell
    Hm, A new Patch,
    Version 1.05 but the Bug isn't fixed. :(
    edited September 4
    Its very annoying and we didnt get any response yet. Seems like we are the only ones that are being affected:D I have not  tried the on board audio yet, but i am pretty sure creative is the cause. I have problems with all sound settings, does not matter if its the lowest 16 or 24 bit. The more Hz i set the more it stutters. I tried to change the EQ also turned off every single effect nothing helps. No other game i play is affected with this issue only F1 18. I dont even have problems in Dirt 4...Could we get any insight on this Team? Thank you.
  • FayaFaya Member admin
    Hi all,

I've passed this thread back to one of our Audio team members to take a further look at. I may reappear with questions for you in a bit.
    Faya said:
    Hi all,

I've passed this thread back to one of our Audio team members to take a further look at. I may reappear with questions for you in a bit.
    Hi Faya, much appreciated:)
  • monjuemonjue Member New Car Smell
    sames happening to me since update. prior to that and still present i have fps spikes and game crashes randomly all the time.
    Hi All,

So i disabled and removed my creative soundblaster Audigy FX and uninstalled driver, enabled on board sound card, the problem persist. No other game affected. Mother board is Asus ROG-STRIX-Z370-F-GAMING.
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    Hi. We have a potential fix for this which will be going out in v1.07. Please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue after you receive that update. Thanks.
    Hoo said:
    Hi. We have a potential fix for this which will be going out in v1.07. Please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue after you receive that update. Thanks.
    Hi Hoo, thanks a lot for trying to help us. I will report once you release the patch. Best regards.
    @Hoo: Thank you. :)
    Will report back, as soon as 1.07 arrives.
  • Cloister56Cloister56 Member New Car Smell
    edited September 15
    Was just coming to post about a similar issue but the audio isn't sped up but I do get the crackling at high speed. Strangely this only seems to affect my career mode if I run the same car and track in GP mode there is no crackling. 
    I hope the 1.07 works for me too, if not I'll post back
  • Game0PatGame0Pat Member New Car Smell
    Don't know if my problem is the same as yours, but for me it sounds more like the sound is little distorted and quieter at some time. This is hearable in the garage and also while driving. Maybe I can record it some time and upload a short clip to youtube. But first I need to check 1.07 this evening if the problem still persists.
  • FayaFaya Member admin

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience. This should be fixed in the 1.07 update, which is out now for Steam. Please let us know if the patch has worked for you or if you are still experiencing the problem. You can check out all the fixes for 1.07 here.

• Game0PatGame0Pat Member New Car Smell
    Well, if I stay at 16Bit/48kHz then there's still these strange volumechanges.
    After I switched to 24Bit/96kHz the problem seems to be solved, but I have to look (or hear) after that for some time to be able to give a clear answer.
  • Cloister56Cloister56 Member New Car Smell
    Ah sadly not made any difference to my audio problem.
    edited September 17
    Hm, it seems to be a partial fix.
    Everything up to 96kHz seems about right.
    192kHz still has the crackling and distortion problems.
    Since i have set my sampling rate at 192kz all the time, it would be nice to be able to leave it at that all the time.
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Race Steward
    CaotKirk said:
    Hm, it seems to be a partial fix.
    Everything up to 96kHz seems about right.
    192kHz still has the crackling and distortion problems.
    Since i have set my sampling rate at 192kz all the time, it would be nice to be able to leave it at that all the time.
    Why do you need a sampling rate of 192kHz when CDs only use 44.1kHz?
    AOR Season 16 Sign-Ups are now CLOSED!
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com

edited September 18
    Why do people listen to High Def Music when a CD just has 44kHz?
    Because ist just sounds nicer and besides,
    every other application/game works fine with 192kHz

BTW: why do you want to drive a Ferrari, when the Sauber has the same engine. ;)
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Race Steward
    edited September 18
    CaotKirk said:
    Because it's possible!
    Every other application works.

BTW: why do you want to drive a Ferrari, when the Sauber has the same engine. ;)
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/optimising-latency-pc-audio-interface

This is why you're a fool. Having a overly high setting is unnecessary and will cause exactly the issue you're experiencing.
    AOR Season 16 Sign-Ups are now CLOSED!
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com