Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Tips on how to avoid overheating the tyres?

rfvgtrfvgt Member Wheel Nut
Hey guys,
have you got any setup tips on how to avoid overheating the tyres? Especially the front tyres? On some tracks it's okay, but in Monaco or Singapore I always overheat them after a couple of laps and lose over one or two seconds per lap. You can't really let them cool down either once they're at +106°C. I'm not an expert on setting up cars, so I could really use some help, and I'm sure I'm not the only one :D Does adjusting the tyre pressure and editing the camber work? If yes, how exactly? I don't mind sacrificing a little grip or have more tyre wear, I just don't want my front tyres to overheat almost every race.
Thanks!

Comments

• IamTheStig85IamTheStig85 Member Unleaded
    rfvgt said:
    Hey guys,
    have you got any setup tips on how to avoid overheating the tyres? Especially the front tyres? On some tracks it's okay, but in Monaco or Singapore I always overheat them after a couple of laps and lose over one or two seconds per lap. You can't really let them cool down either once they're at +106°C. I'm not an expert on setting up cars, so I could really use some help, and I'm sure I'm not the only one :D Does adjusting the tyre pressure and editing the camber work? If yes, how exactly? I don't mind sacrificing a little grip or have more tyre wear, I just don't want my front tyres to overheat almost every race.
    Thanks!
    Just sit on the grid at the start and don't move then get all the other cars DSQ with the penalty system when they come roumd again  😂
  • AdamJDoreAdamJDore Member New Car Smell
    rfvgt said:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks!
    Lowering tyre pressures can help according to the info in the game
  • legakoslegakos Member Unleaded
    Brake carefully without locking up the tyres and turn in carefully. If you steer the car very aggressively try and be more careful because it can cause overheating. 
  • ChristerHiortChristerHiort Member Unleaded
    I did a 25% race in Australia in career mode and never saw the temp of the tires heat over the green.
    I did see the brakes heat up in corners, but that is all.

• rfvgtrfvgt Member Wheel Nut
    legakos said:
    Brake carefully without locking up the tyres and turn in carefully. If you steer the car very aggressively try and be more careful because it can cause overheating. 
    AdamJDore said:
    Lowering tyre pressures can help according to the info in the game

I just raced in Monaco again and I had the same problems despite lowering tyre pressures to the minimum and driving as smoothly as I can with a pad in Monaco. The first 5 or 6 laps on the ultras were fine and I could keep up with the car in front, but then my front left heated up again and I lost like 2.5 seconds per lap and held up everybody behind me. Really frustrating... I like that it's in the game, but it's frustrating that it punishes you so much, even when you're trying everything. I wonder how beginners feel about this. I've been playing every F1 game since 97 and I consider myself a pretty decent driver tbh, but that's a bit too much. Hopefully CM change this a bit (which I doubt). I don't wanna do 5 laps races in Monaco and Singapore every time just because I begin to suddenly lose several seconds a lap.
    I did a 25% race in Australia in career mode and never saw the temp of the tires heat over the green.

I think it depends on the track and what tyre compound you're on. Like I said, it's really bad in Monaco and Singapore, especially on the hypersofts and ultrasofts. In Melbourne it was right on the verge of overheating as well, but I managed to lose not too much time. I do 50% races btw.
    rfvgt said:

I think it depends on the track and what tyre compound you're on. Like I said, it's really bad in Monaco and Singapore, especially on the hypersofts and ultrasofts. In Melbourne it was right on the verge of overheating as well, but I managed to lose not too much time. I do 50% races btw.
    The length of the race should not really matter I assume as the overheating is based on the track profile rather than laps driven ?  ... I did some 50% races in F1 2017 but it got too long after a while ... :-) :smile:
  • Gunnar20Gunnar20 Member Unleaded
    In F1 2017 I had terrible tyre wear issues in that I would in majority of races go onto a harder compound just to prevent me pitting more times than AIs. With F1 2018, the tyre wear I haven't had too many issues at all, and can do races with the recommended pit stop strategy, and compounds.
    However, I have used much lighter settings with very little downforce, so I wonder if that's your problem, with maybe the car being top heavy on traction?
    The length of the race should not really matter I assume as the overheating is based on the track profile rather than laps driven ?  ... I did some 50% races in F1 2017 but it got too long after a while ... :-) :smile:

Well logically, yes, it shouldn't matter. But it also wouldn't be the first time the race length does weird things to the car. I remember at least one game had horrible tyre wear during 25% races. And F1 2017 also had a glitch where components would wear down way too much during 25% races. 
    Also, I was hoping for some setup tips. It makes a difference if you use a setup for sprint races or longer ones. So the race length does matter ;)
    edited August 2018
    Gunnar20 said:
    In F1 2017 I had terrible tyre wear issues in that I would in majority of races go onto a harder compound just to prevent me pitting more times than AIs. With F1 2018, the tyre wear I haven't had too many issues at all, and can do races with the recommended pit stop strategy, and compounds.
    However, I have used much lighter settings with very little downforce, so I wonder if that's your problem, with maybe the car being top heavy on traction?
    I also don't really have any tyre wear issues, but my Sauber also has three or four tyre upgrades installed :smiley:
    For most tracks I actually use the standard balanced setup and then only change the wings to 6/5 or 5/4. Like I said, I don't know too much about setups lol. The next two races after Monaco were fine with this setup in Canada and France. For Monaco I always pick the preset setup with the highest downforce and set the wings to 11/11. For Singapore I usually take the balanced setup with 8/7 wings.

• CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Petrol Head
    edited August 2018
    One thing to note. If you are using setup sites/apps to find setups for your cars, dont use a TT setup,  zero tyre wear in TT. 
  • DauntingConchDauntingConch Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    One thing to note. If you are using setup sites/apps to find setups for your cars, dont use a TT setup,  zero tyre wear in TT. 
    ^^^^ This is the main cause, if you use a setup which is intended for 1 lap pace, it will ruin your tyres in a race no matter what.

Other tips I've read is try to avoid scrubbing the tyres and adjust your racing line to make minimal steering inputs

edited August 2018
    Yeah using a wider line after the apex helps alot,  let the car 'drift' out to the exit curb and not drift as in DRIFT, drift as in let the natural gravity of the car push it out of the corner keep as little steering angle into the corner as you can if you need to really muscle the car after the apex its usually understeer and a click of front wing should help
  • ANFI3LDARMYANFI3LDARMY Member New Car Smell
    Im having this issue aswell. Always effects hypersofts and ultras. Front tyres go to 106 carcas temp causing bad turn in and slidding. Seems to start happening when the tyres reach about 30% wear. I race 50% races.

Ive tried being really smooth still nothing. Always happens every time i use hypers or ultras. Its like its coded to happen
    edited August 2018
    Well they are always going to be the quickest to go off dont forget.. Do you always run a lot of front wing or front brake bias?? Even too much front ballast will have an effect 
    edited August 2018
    Dont get me wrong  im not saying there isnt a bug  after all there are a lot of reports of controller players reporting that the left front never cools,, im just throwing alternative solutions because everyone has a different setup/controller /rig/driving style and i myself have not experienced overheating 
  • KrisperfectlineKrisperfectline Member Unleaded
    Anyone have any tips to remedy this? I was shocked that at Monaco the front left would overheat after 5 laps in a 50% race. Is this real? I never had problems with tyre wear in previous games but I was stunned when after 5 laps, the front left was at 106 C... 
  • tarrantinotarrantino Member Co-Driver
    Anyone have any tips to remedy this? I was shocked that at Monaco the front left would overheat after 5 laps in a 50% race. Is this real? I never had problems with tyre wear in previous games but I was stunned when after 5 laps, the front left was at 106 C... 
    I found driving slower helped over the long runs. Now this is where an arguenent will occur. 

For both Monaco and Singapore I lowered the difficulty for the race and drove slower and smoother and this worked. Driving with less steering angle on a pad made a significant difference. 

• KrisperfectlineKrisperfectline Member Unleaded
    I found driving slower helped over the long runs. Now this is where an arguenent will occur. 

For both Monaco and Singapore I lowered the difficulty for the race and drove slower and smoother and this worked. Driving with less steering angle on a pad made a significant difference. 

Eh... How about other than that? I race at 101 difficulty.. If there is a decent solution besides going slower, such as tweaking a few parts in the setup, it would be really good, as I would just like to see what other setup changes could be possible. This is especially for the pad.  I lowered the ballast to 5, running 11 11 wings, and I even lowered the front tyre pressure 3 clicks to the left from the default one, and it is still a big issue. I tried putting the brake bias to 63% LMAO, and not braking fully.  This is really surprising considering that I have never encountered tyre issues in any f1 games. 
    I’m so puzzled by this subject as I have never encountered any issues. I do 80 difficulty in Careermode and 50% races.
    i use the setups that TRL Limitless so on YouTube.
    how do you notice it ? You look at the display with tire temps all the time or will the engineer call it out ?