Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Impossible to keep up with the AI race pace solely due to high tyre inner carcass temperatures.

Has Codemasters yet to acknowledged this as a bug or is it actually working as intended with pad users?

I'm finally finding my optimal difficulty level come COTA and I'm fighting evenly against my teammate (Leclerc) and other cars at same development level in Qualifying. But on race, after I start closing in the first pit stop, the tyres are heated enough to pace to fall dramatically versus any other car on the track. 

And before someone tells me to adjust my driving style, I have done so. I'm basically keeping the Temp window open on dislay throughout the whole race and the amount of saving you need to keep the tyres not reach the critical temperatures also throws you off the pace of other cars around you.

There's no easy to way to even combat this due to setups since I'm already driving setups roughly giving me better than average tyre wear / sliding.

Is there any confirmation yet if this is related to difficulty as well? Because I had no issues on temperatures on early season when I was still driving slightly lower difficulties. Not after I raised it, this has become an issue. Also the issue seems to be that the tyres aren't cooling down enough rather than them gaining degrees. 

Comments

• MartyHDMartyHD Member New Car Smell
    What i really hate (and it kinda destroys the Gameplay for me a bit too) are the tyres in F1 2018.
    As soon as they get a Low Tyre Wear of 15-20 % the car is slipping all over the place. It's almost as if i drive on Ice. It's very bad.

This was all good an worked 100 % correct in F1 2017.  Why take something that worked perfectly fine and make it worst in the new Game? I don't get it. 
    This is nothing like in real life.

Played on PS4 Pro.
  • Davidepotenza19Davidepotenza19 Member New Car Smell
    I have the same problem
    it happens that the internal temperature of the rubber overheats too much this leads to no longer able to do the times you did before I think it's a bug at least I hope because in 2017 I could push to the maximum without problems now after 5 6 laps the car does not it's more like
  • ChristerHiortChristerHiort Member Unleaded
    Yea, this might be the new tire modeling that is supposed to make it more realistic as you have to pay attention to the temps. I hope the race engineer will help with that as well and tell younkver the radio.
  • ChromaticChromatic Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    edited August 28
    MartyHD said:
    What i really hate (and it kinda destroys the Gameplay for me a bit too) are the tyres in F1 2018.
    As soon as they get a Low Tyre Wear of 15-20 % the car is slipping all over the place. It's almost as if i drive on Ice. It's very bad.

This was all good an worked 100 % correct in F1 2017.  Why take something that worked perfectly fine and make it worst in the new Game? I don't get it. 
    This is nothing like in real life.

Played on PS4 Pro.
    It's exactly like real life. Many might not notice but their is a lot more suspension movement with the car this year also you have carcass tempertures. Last years game were it was fixed to the car and no suspension travel at all. Best advice I can give is to check your setups also being less aggressive running over the kerbs at full throttle.

How many different racing lines will you take 

Originally Withyman on the old forum's 

My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TBCFormulae 

Manor may be gone but the history they made lives on

• GregmomGregmom Member Wheel Nut
    Yeah it's probably tyre temps that cause you problems. I had 60% wear Baku on my rears and it felt fine with perfect temperatures.
  • KiLLu12258KiLLu12258 Member Unleaded
    there is nothing wrong with it, its just that the temperature mean something now lol.

German F1 League
  • ExSerCOExSerCO Member New Car Smell
    How to "read" tire temps?
    It looks like I have them always in "the green zone".
    What does have some effect on them to change and let the car handle different?
    (sorry if this loks silly, but I'm trying to learn and understand)
  • NesjamagNesjamag Member Unleaded
    ExSerCO said:
    How to "read" tire temps?
    It looks like I have them always in "the green zone".
    What does have some effect on them to change and let the car handle different?
    (sorry if this loks silly, but I'm trying to learn and understand)
    Yellow is too warm, red is way too warm.
    Blue is too cold.

I think between 86° and 102° is green. So it's a pretty big range for good temps.
    Ideal is probably between 93° and 100°. This feels like the most grip to me.
  • ExSerCOExSerCO Member New Car Smell
    Do you actually "feel" the difference if the middle is less or more hot then the outside?

• tarrantinotarrantino Member Pit Crew
    ExSerCO said:
    Do you actually "feel" the difference if the middle is less or more hot then the outside?

If you’re asking generally then yes. It just washes away and lose seconds
  • Burba7Burba7 Member Unleaded
    I have the same problem
    it happens that the internal temperature of the rubber overheats too much this leads to no longer able to do the times you did before I think it's a bug at least I hope because in 2017 I could push to the maximum without problems now after 5 6 laps the car does not it's more like
    The game has been deliberately designed this way to mimic having to manage the car and temperatures in the same way as real F1 drivers do. You basically have to pick your moments as to when you want to attack the race now, rather than drive flat out for the whole time. I found this frustrating as well to begin with, but it does add more depth to the racing when you get used to it.

I'm up to France in career mode and the only track that I've had any real issue at is Monaco. The core temperatures of my Ultra Softs were 106° for the second half of my stint on them. Once I pitted for the Super Softs and focused on being consistently smooth but slower than my ultimate pace I had no further issues. I've always found Monaco nigh on impossible on pad though.

With some practise you will get used to the new tyre physics, it's just remembering not to drive at full pace and be particularly careful through long fast corners.

• IvanoZ023IvanoZ023 Member Unleaded
    On the steering wheel display where the tire temperature is up or down?
  • KittyFit90KittyFit90 Member Unleaded
    I just made a set of softs last 33 laps in China after I did an early stop because of a safety car, was sliding a bit toward the end but wasn't too hard to keep control and the temps within the working range. Managed to hang on for 10th place, after being 8th when I put that set of softs on. Mainly I tried to keep the car straight when under throttle and only turn sharply while off throttle, basically tyre wear is caused by sliding the car laterally (also causes temperature) while linear movement (ie straight lines) reduces tyre wear and prevents overheating. In general on CM f1 games I have always been good at tyre management and I tend to prefer a style of setup that favours it as well. I'm on a wheel btw which I should imagine helps with this sort of thing. 
    Retired racer, full time science nerd!
  • TheBARON23TheBARON23 Member New Car Smell
    I drive the same in every race. In some it’s doesn’t seem to be an issue but in others it’s impossible. I’ve gone from winning the previous 4 races to suddenly being 6th and having McLaren and Renault all over me in a a Ferrari. Any tips? The problem is the AI seems to be able to race flat out no matter what
  • patronaspatronas Member Wheel Nut
    It could also having something to do with rnd have u put all the tyre upgrades on if not then put them on and if still having same problems then could be bug or something but if does inprove then ur kinda complaing over nothing honnestly RND isnt there for the fun of it its to inprove ur car
  • TheCroc84TheCroc84 Member Unleaded
    Having the same issue its not a wear problem for me and i drive basically as smooth as possible but i think the pads all or nothing steering just means the temps climbs and climb and its very hard to get the back down without having to back off to an extreme degree.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Same issue for pads as previously, just worse with the new carcass vs surface temps. 

I'm sure someone at codies must have seen this coming though. The alternative would be to simply ostrich it. 
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • ZachrulezZachrulez Member Wheel Nut
    The temp system definitely needs some balancing on the pad.