Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Impossible to keep up with the AI race pace solely due to high tyre inner carcass temperatures.

Comments

• ZachrulezZachrulez Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 5
    I ran 50% monaco. I found out it's possible to manage the tyre temps... if you run at a completely uncompetitive pace. *Sigh* I'm hitting like 220f at lowes and 220-230 at that slow sequence of corners before the start finish straight. Those temps do not seem right to me. This is with holding back. If I went into them hard... the temps are higher.

I can't even imagine how you'd go at re-balancing this either. You'd either need to increase the overheating threshold of the tyres on the probem tracks by about 10F degrees or have lower tyre pressures have a more dramatic effect on the temps. (It would certainly be interesting to deal with having the tyres be too cool because you've set the pressure too low.)
  • MartyHDMartyHD Member New Car Smell
    I just had the same
    problem also at the US GP COTA 
  • Senna1990Senna1990 Member Unleaded
    thing is you shouldnt have over heated tires 3 laps into online 5 lap races, its the whole problem with the honda in the mclaren last year your wear is too advanced.

Any news on this being looked into and being fixed ?  

• rocojuanclarkusrocojuanclarkus Member New Car Smell
    Message to Codemasters.... 

***Please fix this bug!***
    Just did Singapore and it is ridiculous. After 3 laps you are 2-3 seconds off the pace and the car feels horrendous. I did some tests in practice and there is nothing you can do once the temps are in the red..even slowing down to 50mph and not even accelerating. It is nothing to do with setups or how you drive with the controller, it's a nasty bug pure and simple. Completely ruins the career experience. 
    The trick is to prevent them from starting to overheat in the first place.. Before they reach the 'yellow' temp around 103 degrees, stop pushing, don't 'lean' on/scrub the tyres too much and they will come down a degree or two within a minute or so. The heating and cooling of carcass temps happens over a laps worth of time or even multiple laps; once they are orange or red it's pretty much too late and the sliding will only overheat them further.
    I agree with you entirely Worn. . and that does work at certain tracks it's good to manage the tyre temp as well as everything else.. however at Monaco, Singapore and Japan (so far) the tyre compound gets too hot after about 5 laps and its impossible to cool them down and still be competitive.
    Im in an uncompetitive Williams doing 100% races so I am hardly thrashing the car around the track, it's nothing to do with the style of driving or tyre wear... just a massive bug. It's a shame because I just had a really good race in Sochi and I am going into Japan knowing I will be last due to this issue.
    It's even worse in the wet conditions as well! 
    yes manage your tires but in a 5 lap online race they shouldnt be overheated anywhere, happens when you get about 15% wear most of the time then you have had itno steering might as well retire

• kobra167kobra167 Member New Car Smell
    Message to Codemasters.... 

***Please fix this bug!***
    Just did Singapore and it is ridiculous. After 3 laps you are 2-3 seconds off the pace and the car feels horrendous. I did some tests in practice and there is nothing you can do once the temps are in the red..even slowing down to 50mph and not even accelerating. It is nothing to do with setups or how you drive with the controller, it's a nasty bug pure and simple. Completely ruins the career experience. 
    The trick is to prevent them from starting to overheat in the first place.. Before they reach the 'yellow' temp around 103 degrees, stop pushing, don't 'lean' on/scrub the tyres too much and they will come down a degree or two within a minute or so. The heating and cooling of carcass temps happens over a laps worth of time or even multiple laps; once they are orange or red it's pretty much too late and the sliding will only overheat them further.
    In general I would agree with that. That tactic works at the other 18 tracks just fine.  But in doing so at these 2-3 particular tracks that we are talking about. You end up 3+ seconds off the pace of where you should be. So if you should be fighting for a win. You'll be hoping for a point. If you should be fighting at the fringe of the points. You'll be hoping to not be last. One way or another you're too slow. At least if you have the pace to run at upper Master Level/Lower Legend and above.  Mid to late stage Safety Cars are your saving grace for trying to get any kind of result. I ran a test race at the lower skill levels just to see. And I found at those speeds. We aren't going fast enough to generate the in game tire heat at those tracks as a pad user. 
  • speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Team Principal
    I haven’t extensively tested this yet but it seems to me from what I’ve done so far that this applies to the softest compound tyre only,I heard that Brazil was a bad one for this and as I had a league race social on that track coming up I decided to try and test this a little bit.So as you would I set a fastest lap of the race on lap 2 and then drove at what I considered to be not pushing at all but still at some sort of decent pace,not touching kerbs and with a set up designed to be kind on the tyres,now by lap 5 my front tyres had got to 106 degrees which is too hot and continued to climb in temperature until I pitted on lap 11 when the car was pretty much undriveable.So the strategy is telling me 2 stops and I’m thinking with these tyre temps even tho I’m driving like a granny it’s definitely a 2 stop.So I go out on softs with 25 laps remaining and after 4 laps the front tyres are already at 105 which seems to be the threshold so I’m thinking jeez it’s just as bad on the harder compound,but to my surprise that’s the temp they stayed at for the rest of the race and I could easily one stop.I haven’t tested this yet but I bet that if you just drove round at like 20mph on the softest compound on the tracks where this seems to be prevalent you would still see the tyre temps,because this reminds me of the good old 2013 days where u could drive round in 2nd gear and get the same tyre wear as would going balls to the wall on certain tracks.
  • nutkinsnutkins Member New Car Smell
    I've been finding the tyre temps this year really challanging as a league racer. I normally have 50% races and constantly find myself on certain track where the tyre temps always get too hot (singapore for example). Has anyone found out if setups can help? I have tried running low pressures but doesn't seem to make a difference. Just means that I can only go about 70% of my actual pace otherwise the temps go over the limit and it's like driving on ice. Normally starts to come into play about lap 7-10
  • PriddoPriddo Member New Car Smell
    I honestly haven't once had an issue with the tyres in a race... But I do try to drive pretty smooth in the races, usually I come back at the AI in the last few laps even.
    I honestly don’t think there is anything you can do with set up or even driving style as this appears to be just a scripted thing that I don’t believe to be intentional but is a glitch,I haven’t done extensive testing but what I have done it didn’t matter what I did with the set up or how I drove(was driving like a granny) the temps on the softest compound always climbed and overheated eventually making the car undriveable in what I considered to be too short a time,I will say I could maintain tyre temp on the harder compounds tho,it seems to me that the softest compound tyre on a given track is to be avoided like the plague.
  • alex1994128alex1994128 Member, Drivers Race Engineer
    lower the anti roll bars, increase the ride hights and low spings then you will suffer much less with tyres.

So basically a lot of ppl were crying out for meanungful tyre temps for years and now that we got them the same group wants the simplified, absolutely ridicolous imo.

In my opinion on some tracks the tyres are NOT SENSITIVE ENOUGH but overall it was such a massive step up compared to 2017 so rather then blaming the game you should accept a challenge that real life teams and drivers are faced with aswell and work on solutions, instead of blaming the game for an unsufficient amount of skill on the side of a few players here.
    AOR and RaceDepartment PS4 racer
    The biggest factor in tyre temps is your driving. Oversteering when putting the power down and sliding into corners because you've taken too much speed will absolutely kill your rears which gives you the feeling of driving on ice.
    As explained above driving style had no effect on whether the tyre temp went up or not I drove balls to the wall and I drove very carefully and the tyre temps still climbed the same amount each lap which leads me to believe it’s scripted atleast on the softest compound.
  • JensonBottomJensonBottom Member Co-Driver
    edited September 6
    The biggest factor in tyre temps is your driving. Oversteering when putting the power down and sliding into corners because you've taken too much speed will absolutely kill your rears which gives you the feeling of driving on ice.
    As explained above driving style had no effect on whether the tyre temp went up or not I drove balls to the wall and I drove very carefully and the tyre temps still climbed the same amount each lap which leads me to believe it’s scripted atleast on the softest compound.
    I've found the complete opposite so far. I was overheating the rears round Monaco at around 104c so took it easy coming out the slow turns and my rear temps dropped to 99/100c which was much more manageable.
    Otherwise known as TomM_F1 and AquaF1.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
     instead of blaming the game for an unsufficient amount of skill on the side of a few players here.

The new tyre model is much improved but they need to improve the aspects that should work alongside the tyre temps. Left and right pressure, roll bars etc. 

Maybe it's in something Jeff says. It's should be. I think he generally tells me where I might crash. Would be cool if he said "mind the front left at turn 14 (as codies didn't give engineering department ability to change pressures or settings left to right)" 
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • rocojuanclarkusrocojuanclarkus Member New Car Smell
    JB, the rear tyres are never a problem... Its the front tyres. It's not the driving style, it is a bug plain and simple. I have done tests in practice cruising around the COTA at 1.40min laps on the super soft compound tyres and they are shot by the start of lap 7.
    This should not happen for the pad users. 
    I've found the complete opposite so far. I was overheating the rears round Monaco at around 104c so took it easy coming out the slow turns and my rear temps dropped to 99/100c which was much more manageable.
    they are ment to be looking into it but not heard anything lately. 
  • NickDahyNickDahy Member Pit Crew
    edited September 6
    Keep in mind from the comments I have seen its much harder on a pad, but I notice my tires do not start to overheat until I start sliding the car..  I slid the car on worn tires the other day on ultras around the harpin at Germany and the car quickly became hard to manager after that.  I think the bigger issue is that it is too hard to cool the tires back down to the correct temp without going super slow.

It seems like the Hyper soft and Ultra soft compounds are very temperamental compared to the harder compounds which is realistic, but again I am on a wheel so  i dunno..

I think the key setup factor is running high ballast on worn tires.  For races it may be beneficial to go less ballast and more front wing to get more turn in.
  • NickDahyNickDahy Member Pit Crew
    edited September 6
    another factor may be using assists.  I do not use assists so I can tell where my edge of grip is an not to push over it.  With assists the tires are probably still heating up and you have no idea until they get so hot they fall off the cliff.