Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Ranked Multiplayer Settings – Corner cutting rules update

Hi all,

Following feedback from you and further live environment analysis, we will shortly be updating the Ranked Multiplayer settings to run on Strict for Corner Cutting rules. Ranked multiplayer is intended to create a competitive environment that encourages people to race fairly against other drivers of a similar skill level. Fair racing isn’t just about respecting the space of the drivers around you, it’s also about respecting the track limits so that everyone is driving the same track and playing to the same rules. If there are significant penalty-free gains being exploited, that’s something we want to look into and correct where we can.

Originally, regular corner cutting rules were chosen as we didn’t want to punish players too heavily for mistakes, but after analysing the game in a live environment and the instances reported by the community, it became clear that leniency towards mistakes was too often being used to gain unfair advantages. Changing the Ranked lobbies to strict corner cutting rules should significantly cut down on these exploits.

I’ll update you once the change has rolled out to all platforms.

Comments

• kenty19kenty19 Member New Car Smell
    Any chance of commenting on the De-Sync and missing names? This is ruining online at the moment! 
  • FayaFaya Member admin

Hi @Kenty19,

On the missing names, we are aware of this issue and are continuing to investigate. On de-syncs, please be sure to head to the Technical Assistance forum and fill out a bug report form, which you can find in this thread here. The more information we get the better we can try to help. Many thanks.  

• SUPERJOSH58SUPERJOSH58 Member New Car Smell
    Are track limit warnings and penalties going to affect your safety rating?

If so, I can imagine the safety ratings of a lot of players are going to fall fast as in my own experience, the strict corner cutting rules often warn or award penalties for moves that are technically legal, eg, 2 wheels off the track.
  • bastek2504bastek2504 Member Unleaded

If so, I can imagine the safety ratings of a lot of players are going to fall fast as in my own experience, the strict corner cutting rules often warn or award penalties for moves that are technically legal, eg, 2 wheels off the track.
    So many people say, that they were with 2 wheels still on the track... but i've never seen a video of it. :#
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Champion
    Thanks a lot for this adjustment! I think this was much needed and it will help to make things more fair and competitive in the ranked lobbies for sure. Even if 'strict' can be a bit harsh sometimes, it's better than being able to cut consistently. Keep up the good work, great to see the team actively listening and responding to the community like this lately.
  • PJTierneyPJTierney Member Pit Crew
    Thanks for the update @Faya. I’ve been greatly enjoying Ranked so far and getting some good races; hopefully that continues.

On a slightly related note I’m having an issue where an Achievement didn’t unlock after I hit the required Safety Rating of A. I posted in Technical Support a few days ago but that post is far down the order now as many people have things to report about the game in general. Should I send an email to Customer Support detailing the issue?
    PJ Tierney | Web | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

F1 2018: In Progress
    F1 2017:
     100% Complete
    F1 2016:
     100% Complete
    F1 2011:
     100% Complete
    F1 2010:
     100% Complete
    F1 Race Stars: 
    100% Complete
    DiRT 4: 100% Complete
    DiRT Rally: 100% Complete

Xbox One X, Controller, No Assists, Bumper Camera (DiRT) / T-Cam (F1)

• ramma314ramma314 Member New Car Smell

It would be great if there was just also some sort of indication for what positively effects safety rating, kind of like that other more popular predominantly online racing game I won't name. It makes less of a deal out of both types of safety rating impacts, but at least you get some indication for when something has negatively or positively impacted it so you can easily see that you should or shouldn't be doing something. Right now it's a real mystery if race performance actually gains you safety rating, or if it is purely based on having minimal incidents (ie everyone starts a race with +X points, then loses points per incident as opposed to gains based on performance).
  • BritpointBritpoint Member, Codemasters Codemasters Employee
    edited September 6
    ramma314 said:

It would be great if there was just also some sort of indication for what positively effects safety rating, kind of like that other more popular predominantly online racing game I won't name. It makes less of a deal out of both types of safety rating impacts, but at least you get some indication for when something has negatively or positively impacted it so you can easily see that you should or shouldn't be doing something. Right now it's a real mystery if race performance actually gains you safety rating, or if it is purely based on having minimal incidents (ie everyone starts a race with +X points, then loses points per incident as opposed to gains based on performance).
    Safety Rating is distance driven versus incidents. So if you drive a full race with 0 incidents, that's the maximum positive impact you can make to your Safety Rating for that race. If you have incidents or leave the race early, you'll get less improvement.

We take your SR for 1 race and then average it over a period of time. So let's say we were tracking your last 3 races and your incident count for each was 1 / 0 / 0. If on your 4th race you get 0, you would add that to the end of the list and push out the oldest race that we're tracking. So your new 3-race incident count would be 0 / 0 / 0, so your Safety Rating improves.
    Senior Game Designer at Codemasters. Opinions expressed are my own.
  • HillZeroHillZero Member New Car Smell
    still doesnt end the stupid penalties for having 2 wheelsoff the track, and 2 on
  • Lippi1886Lippi1886 Member Unleaded
    Does anyone also have the issue that as soon as I compare my stats with other drivers that it shows only 0 in each category?
    PSN: SAL_LippiArsenal
    League Racer at www.sevenasleague.de
  • moogleslammoogleslam Member Race Steward
    Is strict really that useful when track limits are so badly defined?  Can have tires clearly on track and get a penalty, or have tires clearly outside the track and get no penalty.
    Fun, fair, and clean racing for all skill levels!
  • speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Team Principal
    Is strict really that useful when track limits are so badly defined?  Can have tires clearly on track and get a penalty, or have tires clearly outside the track and get no penalty.
    It’s far from ideal but I personally would rather have it this way then people getting away with straight lining chicanes.
  • Sinsu87Sinsu87 Member New Car Smell
    edited September 6
    Thnx for this! What about the ranking points? People What are racing with a steering wheel and all assists off Or medium and people with controllers ?  IT is Much easier with a controller and assist on. Is iT gonna change ? 
  • RubleRuble Member New Car Smell
    edited September 6

Strict is a little too strict, ironically, in my opinion. In Austria had I had a quali lap invalidated for having a front wheel on the inside curb through turn 5 and another for putting two wheels on the outside kerb on the exit of the final corner... also, in Canada, the braking line assist tells you to take a line through the final chicane that gets you a warning (and subsequently penalties). Game should be able to tell between when you're taking a blatant shortcut and perfectly normal, legal lines (even one the game itself tells you is a normal line!) through corners, and it just can't. =/

Post edited by Ruble on
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    Awesome news thank you Codies :) I'd rather get a penalty for going wide than someone I am racing gaining unfair advantages without penalty.
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • ramma314ramma314 Member New Car Smell
    Britpoint said:
    ramma314 said:

Safety Rating is distance driven versus incidents. So if you drive a full race with 0 incidents, that's the maximum positive impact you can make to your Safety Rating for that race. If you have incidents or leave the race early, you'll get less improvement.

We take your SR for 1 race and then average it over a period of time. So let's say we were tracking your last 3 races and your incident count for each was 1 / 0 / 0. If on your 4th race you get 0, you would add that to the end of the list and push out the oldest race that we're tracking. So your new 3-race incident count would be 0 / 0 / 0, so your Safety Rating improves.
    Thanks so much for the explanation!

Slightly related, but do people simply joining races and letting the AI race for them while sitting in the start/options menu still get driver/safety rating? I've noticed this trend the last few days.
  • ThunderCats101ThunderCats101 Member Wheel Nut
    Why are some people complaining about current track limits but not saying which track or part of the circuit 🙄... From my experience so far the only problem I can find with current limits is through "Eau Rouge...that's raidillon actually" yes i mean raidillon. 
  • BirkhoffBirkhoff Member New Car Smell
    Faya said:

Hi all,

Following feedback from you and further live environment analysis, we will shortly be updating the Ranked Multiplayer settings to run on Strict for Corner Cutting rules. Ranked multiplayer is intended to create a competitive environment that encourages people to race fairly against other drivers of a similar skill level. Fair racing isn’t just about respecting the space of the drivers around you, it’s also about respecting the track limits so that everyone is driving the same track and playing to the same rules. If there are significant penalty-free gains being exploited, that’s something we want to look into and correct where we can.

Originally, regular corner cutting rules were chosen as we didn’t want to punish players too heavily for mistakes, but after analysing the game in a live environment and the instances reported by the community, it became clear that leniency towards mistakes was too often being used to gain unfair advantages. Changing the Ranked lobbies to strict corner cutting rules should significantly cut down on these exploits.

I’ll update you once the change has rolled out to all platforms.

The real problem, currently, is the bad ticket rate of your servers .... cars that are behind you and appear 200 meters ahead (due to desynchronization) and is not a network problem, as they are wired and I have the fiber. ... and the problem seems to everyone .... For now there are still the same bugs last year, and it makes me somewhat puzzled because it seems you do not want to learn from your mistakes. The game itself is fantastic; for those who are passionate about engines and F1 in particular, handling is greatly improved, as well as R & D management etc but sometimes you fall on trifles that could very well be avoided
    Xbox One S. Ferrari and Lakers fan . Also Naples, Ravens and Man Utd . Computer Engineer 
  • HugoRobHugoRob Member New Car Smell
    Rather than change the corner cutting to Strict why not increase the severity of the penalty for regular e.g higher time penalty’s or drive thru penalties or even cutting power to that car for a second to negate the advantage gained as this would deter people from doing it. This is supposed to be a competitive e sports sim so should be as accurate and close to f1 in real life as possible. Therefore following the rule of at least two wheels on track at all times otherwise a penalty/warning will occur. With strict it seems that certain corners you can’t even touch the curb with one tyre let alone two. Examples being Austria turn 1. Final chicane at Montreal, monza 2nd chicane. It’s just not reflecting the lines you can and are allowed to take in real life. So now I’m driving like a grandma taking awkward avoiding all curbs so I won’t damage my safety rating. I’m all for penalising people who consitantly cut to gain an unfair advantage but I feel like it needs tweaking.