Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Career Mode too easy!

Before some smart one says to increase the difficulty of the AI, I will explain that I am not talking about difficulty in the race.
I want to say that the career mode is very easy in relation to the evolution of the team and to change to any team the time that you want. This is greatly reducing the immersion of the career mode. It's looking like the improved championship mode. Where is the career mode challenge?
Please Codies, improve that or put a career difficulty option.

Comments

• ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    Its good that you can do a team up to Championship winning standards then return to a bottom team again unlike previously where only top teams wanted you if you were winning. There are great positives to this new mode. And that is a challenge, going from winning to back of the field.
    In terms of immersion I understand moving up slowly proving yourself to a bigger team, they could make this harder by slowing the interest to the bigger teams more making it harder to simply switch from Sauber to Mercedes and still have the odd personalised offer from a team, contract ready simply to sign if interested. But this new way also allows you to strike more personal goals in a contract, tailor it. I am in my 3rd career season with the same team and I still cannot get all 4 level 3 bonuses yet, so this is a good challenge. I am a clean racer and always hitting the set goals.
    As for picking any team or having contracts regularly you can simply ignore it and keep working hard for the team you are with and progress when you are ready. After all its not just the team that dictates a contract, often a driver if good enough can command a good contract themselves for a team to negotiate further on.
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • LeoCardosoLeoCardoso Member Wheel Nut
    Akkan74 said:
    I agree it’s to easy to get on top with a backmarker, but keep in mind that the game is made for casual players also, which maybe play only one season. 
    As i stated before it would be great to have an overall game difficulty in the option menue. Maybe easy, normal and hard where hard means you get way less RnD points and reputation and upgrade costs are way higher. So you would need a few seasons to bring a backmarker on top. 
    That´s it!
  • inspiretheworldinspiretheworld Member Petrol Head
    Put it on 110, you won’t pass all the objectives in practice. Therefore not upgrading as quick. 
    PS4 - inspiretheworld
    Steam - beans_on_toast
  • Ho3n3rHo3n3r Member Race Steward
    Akkan74 said:
    I agree it’s to easy to get on top with a backmarker, but keep in mind that the game is made for casual players also, which maybe play only one season. 
    As i stated before it would be great to have an overall game difficulty in the option menue. Maybe easy, normal and hard where hard means you get way less RnD points and reputation and upgrade costs are way higher. So you would need a few seasons to bring a backmarker on top. 
    The Contract Difficulty setting in the negotiation screen might be one way to achieve this - leave it on Hard, and then you need to reduce other perks that would force you to gain lower RD points in some cases.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Ho3n3r said:
    Akkan74 said:
    The Contract Difficulty setting in the negotiation screen might be one way to achieve this - leave it on Hard, and then you need to reduce other perks that would force you to gain lower RD points in some cases.

Yeah it should all be connected to the contract system really. I wouldn't say it's super easy as you still have to take into account things like the morale of your team and of course the new rule change system as you may run into difficulties repurchasing all your upgrades (depending on how many get reset) but then that depends on how you manage your career. It is I think why they increased the amount of points available to us in the end. But yeah they should make difficulty levels on the contracts and also do the same with regards negotiating with other teams too in terms of reputation that way it should solve all the problems. Can't see it happening on this game because that would be too big a thing to patch in. It would need to be built in from the ground up but I could see that being made more complex in next years game perhaps. For this year we'll have to make do with what they've given us. Basically a casual mode which leaves it as it is now and a Pro mode which adds more difficulty whereby you need to build up your rep before you get the contracts you want would probably be better. They could maybe go with the Easy Medium and Hard but I think the Casual/Pro mode idea I just come up with would probably work better.

I would say go with the Casual mode for those that likely won't be playing career for long or at least unlikely to do all 10 seasons and/or just want to just play around a bit. The pro mode can be more for the more serious contenders that want a bit more of a challenge and want to work their way up the grid so there's a challenge for everyone.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• Akkan74Akkan74 Member Wheel Nut
    For me the problem is the whole system seems to be not correct calculated. The player gets way to much points. Contract difficulty could be a workaround. But also the AI did improve their car way slow. 
    I have seen Tiametmarduks first career and at the end he saved 11 or 12 upgrades due to rule changes and developted some new ones. That makes the rule changes nearly pointless. 
    In Aaravas season he was strongest team after season one with Haas. I think that’s also to fast. 
    Raising the AI difficulty isn‘t the solution for all problems. 
    As i stated before an overall game difficulty would be the best in my opinion, but i think this needs a lot of programming. Means it could be implemented in 2019 but not patched in 2018. 
  • TurtlemooseTurtlemoose Member Pit Crew
    F1 2017 development too conservative
    F1 2016 too aggressive......

F1 2018 is trying to find the right balance but is probably too close to F12016 than intented - still immensely enjoyable though
  • Lewis44TheWinLewis44TheWin Member Wheel Nut
    After this last patch I simulated a season, AI now use R&D more effectively.

• SoluxFinSoluxFin Member Unleaded
    I think every team should have objectives before you can join them. For example merc, ferrari and redbull demand you to get at least one podium and finish one season, before you can get a contract at them. But if you are in lets say toro rosso, the objective comes down for joining red bull. Maybe they can sign you in the team in the middle of your first season, if you can get that podium in the toro rosso.

Smaller teams having easier objectives like, score 10 points in total, or don't crash for 5 race weekends. 
  • urmaw999111urmaw999111 Member New Car Smell
    They're getting the upgrade speed better. I think keeping who many points the same and slightly increasing the cost of upgrades should balance it
  • patronaspatronas Member Wheel Nut
    Ho3n3r said:
    Akkan74 said:

Yeah it should all be connected to the contract system really. I wouldn't say it's super easy as you still have to take into account things like the morale of your team and of course the new rule change system as you may run into difficulties repurchasing all your upgrades (depending on how many get reset) but then that depends on how you manage your career. It is I think why they increased the amount of points available to us in the end. But yeah they should make difficulty levels on the contracts and also do the same with regards negotiating with other teams too in terms of reputation that way it should solve all the problems. Can't see it happening on this game because that would be too big a thing to patch in. It would need to be built in from the ground up but I could see that being made more complex in next years game perhaps. For this year we'll have to make do with what they've given us. Basically a casual mode which leaves it as it is now and a Pro mode which adds more difficulty whereby you need to build up your rep before you get the contracts you want would probably be better. They could maybe go with the Easy Medium and Hard but I think the Casual/Pro mode idea I just come up with would probably work better.

I would say go with the Casual mode for those that likely won't be playing career for long or at least unlikely to do all 10 seasons and/or just want to just play around a bit. The pro mode can be more for the more serious contenders that want a bit more of a challenge and want to work their way up the grid so there's a challenge for everyone.

U should be able to sign multy year contracts a 1 year contract easy 2 year medium 3 year hard  ive been hoping u could sign multi year contracts for an while and it would make sence with the way the game is these days u should be able to set long term goals with ur team or short term goals 
    patronas said:
    Ho3n3r said:
    Akkan74 said:

U should be able to sign multy year contracts a 1 year contract easy 2 year medium 3 year hard  ive been hoping u could sign multi year contracts for an while and it would make sence with the way the game is these days u should be able to set long term goals with ur team or short term goals 
    Not really sure that would achieve anything tbh. Because that wouldn't really address the problem with the overall difficulty people are asking about.

• Dez0808Dez0808 Member Pit Crew
    I've been playing that I can only try each practice program once. If I fail it then no points. Add to some tension and means development is not too fast
  • BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Race Engineer
    patronas said:
    Ho3n3r said:
    Akkan74 said:

Not really sure that would achieve anything tbh. Because that wouldn't really address the problem with the overall difficulty people are asking about.

Actually it would. If they have multi year contracts they will not get any contracts from any other teams for multiple seasons. That way their curiosity will be restricted from  negotiating contracts they don't feel worthy for. 

• GregmomGregmom Member Wheel Nut
    Do you guys use flashbacks in practice programmes, qualifying and races? Do you restart races if you crash in lap 1? Do you restart practice programmes if you don't complete it on first try?

I've done all that in previous years and it was easy too. Now I don't and I just realized how many resource points I'm losing because of that. I'm in season 2 with Williams and I'm still fighting with Sauber and Torro Rosso...
    Gregmom said:
    Do you guys use flashbacks in practice programmes, qualifying and races? Do you restart races if you crash in lap 1? Do you restart practice programmes if you don't complete it on first try?

I've done all that in previous years and it was easy too. Now I don't and I just realized how many resource points I'm losing because of that. I'm in season 2 with Williams and I'm still fighting with Sauber and Torro Rosso...
    Yeah I try to limit the number of flashbacks I use to 4 per session like the old F1 games had. I tend to only use them if I crash though or if he AI screws me over and I get an unfair penalty something like that. As for the Practice programs I don't always pas sal of them as there's not really enough time to give them multiple attempts s oif I fail one then I kind of accept that and move on. The only ones I seem to be able to pas regularly are the qualifying and race pace ones as I find those the easiest seeing as it's just simply drive flat out and see how fast you can go. I mostly struggle with the tyre wear and fuel programs although I will say I think I'm starting to figure out how to get better at them as I'm starting to pass them a little easier now.

• ArthurRayArthurRay Member Unleaded
    I actually find fuel and tire programs easier to pass than track acclimation and ERS. One of the hardest for me is qualifying when I get the level with my teammate as close as I can.  Have to do an almost perfect lap then.

Track acclimation is due to a brain disorder where I end up trying to drive gate to gate instead of entry apex exit flowing smoothly.
    ArthurRay said:
    I actually find fuel and tire programs easier to pass than track acclimation and ERS. One of the hardest for me is qualifying when I get the level with my teammate as close as I can.  Have to do an almost perfect lap then.

Track acclimation is due to a brain disorder where I end up trying to drive gate to gate instead of entry apex exit flowing smoothly.
    Yeah I struggle with the Track Acclimatisation mostly because I generally prefer different lines through the corners than what the normal line is. So sometimes I find I have to slow myself down slightly in order t oget it right. I can nail it at some tracks though it just depends on the track and whether I've established a good rhythm. But if the line is different to what I use then I do find it difficult. Usually though if I get a passing grade though I'm happy to kind of leave it at that. With quali and race pace I find easier because I generally race better when I can go flat out anyway. I think it's one of the main reasons why I struggle at places like Monaco and Japan as that tactic doesn't work well there but do well on tracks with long straights such as Bahrain and Canada

• MichaelRacingMichaelRacing Member Unleaded
    Yeah I struggle with the Track Acclimatisation mostly because I generally prefer different lines through the corners than what the normal line is. So sometimes I find I have to slow myself down slightly in order t oget it right. I can nail it at some tracks though it just depends on the track and whether I've established a good rhythm. But if the line is different to what I use then I do find it difficult. Usually though if I get a passing grade though I'm happy to kind of leave it at that. With quali and race pace I find easier because I generally race better when I can go flat out anyway. I think it's one of the main reasons why I struggle at places like Monaco and Japan as that tactic doesn't work well there but do well on tracks with long straights such as Bahrain and Canada
    I feel your pain man, I think the Track Acclimatisation should be changed a little bit because on every racing circuit there are some alternative lines which don't slow you down! 
    I struggle too to pass TA program cause I am used to create my own racing line.