Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[POLL] F1 2018 - Career Track Difficulty

stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Race Steward
Been thinking about doing this for a little while. Basically I wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are on the AI difficulty from track to track on the career mode of F1 2018, mainly to help Codemasters in possibly evening out the difficulty on certain tracks (if need be) :)

It will be interesting seeing the final figures.

Due to the number of options needed to be available I’ve had to create the poll using the following link... 
https://strawpoll.com/198b51kr

Many thanks. 

[...If a mod could remove the Australia poll below I’d be grateful]
Post edited by stephensmattlee on

[POLL] F1 2018 - Career Track Difficulty 49 votes

01: Australia - AI too strong
18%
IamTheStig85ffigueirbastek2504ex250MrCosta96MattAckermansortitoutcmJonnyHoonitMetzgerov 9 votes
01: Australia - AI just right
77%
dfoostersanderv1981Morg291dwin20WorntoathreadLiverpoolrule19MichaelRacingFlazh92faldon3005atpMaverickoner7ChironTheseusFlynconicolas1423TurtlemooseIcecream76SoluxFinfraggiNeomodfg15 38 votes
01: Australia - AI too weak
4%
NMNDdskxalive 2 votes

Comments

• TL77TL77 Member Wheel Nut
    simon7109 said:
    Yeah, tgere is nothing wrong with AI on any track. It's a question of people being good or bad at certain tracks. Because you can beat the AI easily on your favorite track, does not mean they are not fast enough. You are just simply good. It's the same with underperforming. The AI is not too fast, but you are slow. For example I can beat the AI to the ground at Austria and Canada, while I can't get top 5 in Bahrein with a top car. It's not because of the AI, it's because I am **** at Bahrein and I love Austria and Canada and I could do them blindfolded.
    Clearly the AI is unbalanced. It's the same tracks for me too. Austria and Canada I dominate the AI. Bahrain I get killed by them. It wouldn't be a big deal to have the AI levels for those tracks to be slightly altered by a click or two. 

I really don't even enjoy Austria and I'm still better than the AI there easily. On the other hand I love Hungary and it's the track I spend most time on. But still the AI is quite challenging there, at least way more difficult than Canada or Austria.
  • Ho3n3rHo3n3r Member Race Steward
    simon7109 said:
    Yeah, tgere is nothing wrong with AI on any track. It's a question of people being good or bad at certain tracks. Because you can beat the AI easily on your favorite track, does not mean they are not fast enough. You are just simply good. It's the same with underperforming. The AI is not too fast, but you are slow. For example I can beat the AI to the ground at Austria and Canada, while I can't get top 5 in Bahrein with a top car. It's not because of the AI, it's because I am **** at Bahrein and I love Austria and Canada and I could do them blindfolded.
    Yeah no. It's well known that Canada is a track the AI suck on. Everyone seems to win there, or at least get their best result.

In 3 career mode seasons in 2017, I won there twice and another podium. Just look at all the career modes on Youtube to see that there is some obvious AI flaws at Canada, mainly the AI not carrying speed through - or out of - the final chicane.
  • BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Race Engineer
    Can someone explain in normal words how the AI in race games actually works and if the AI gap between tracks is a codemasters thing. I have a lot of racing games and Codemasters is the only game I can remember you have to switch difficulty between tracks. Is it because I know the F1 tracks so well or do other race games have a consistent AI difficulty between tracks? 

How is the game tested? You think 1 person will do a season and will notice the difference between tracks, why does this person never notice this? Is that person Lee Mather because nobody ever dared to fire the testing person.
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Race Steward
    edited September 14
    Even though I put the poll together I do think the AI is pretty even most tracks.

My only complaint is them being a bit on the slow side at Canada and Austria.  Both those tracks I was finishing in the top 10 with Williams whilst using no ERS at all with it set to None, whereas most other tracks have been pretty evenly competitive so far.  

I was surprised that even Singapore turned out okay whilst it definitely wasn’t my strongest track.  Monaco though I really struggled to get anywhere near quick enough.  Wasn’t too bad on F1 2015/2016 but last years and this years game have been tough to get consistently right. 
  • TurtlemooseTurtlemoose Member Pit Crew
    I think this is a good poll that has been setup and hopefully should get enough votes back.

Monaco on 2017 & 2018 A.I seem to be ridiculously quick.
    Austria & Italy  a touch too easy.

Other circuits tend to be well balanced
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    I have seen many of these and I do believe it is all down to the car you are in. The detail in how well a certain team do on circuits related to their strengths is much more evident in 2018. The power cars do better on power circuits and better Aero on Aero suited circuits, this can make a huge difference on how well they perform overall too. With the McLaren some circuits I did very well on in my first season without much R&D but come the power circuits I was completely overwhelmed! It seems the AI are more difficult in these circuits but its simply they are better suited so they far out perform the car you are in at the time. Its a brilliant system that seems to work very well and creates ever more a less predictable race.
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Race Steward
    Maybe Codemasters just need to implement some way of the game automatically setting a difficulty. Even if it was something along the lines of a Checkpoint Challenge much like the classic car events but of course using the modern cars?  Seen so many threads on here and also reddit about finding the ideal difficulty settings.

Whilst yes jumping into doing a few qualification rounds in Grand Prix mode is a good work-around, I do think the game could do with something a little more practical in terms of helping finding the right difficulty settings :)
  • kubakwkubakw Member Unleaded
    simon7109 said:
    I disagree, but this poll could help figure that out. I generally believe AI is pretty well balanced, but if a lot of people find themsevles quicker/slower on the same tracks it could mean that there's some lack of balance in the game.
  • djparker79djparker79 Member New Car Smell
    I have painstakingly adjusted the difficulty value to make me within a tenth of my teammate. Like so

Australia. 87
    Bahrain. 87
    China. 91
    Azerbaijan. 81
    Spain. 89
    Monaco. 80
    Canada. 86
    France. 88
    Austria. 92
    Britain. 87
    Germany. 89
    Hungary. 87
    Belgium. 88
    Italy. 88
    Singapore. 80
    Russia. 86
    Japan. 86
    USA. 86
    Mexico. 87
    Brazil. 89
    Abu Dhabi. 86

Works for me 👍
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    This is one of those few things where I don't approach it from the point of view that codies have no clue what they are doing 95% of the time. 

If you are saying that the AI are completely different from track to track for a given level, and its actually the human that is consistent over 20+ tracks, please post all TT times for all tracks, positions on leaderboards, and we'll get to the bottom of this ourselves, thanks.
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • LeoCardosoLeoCardoso Member Wheel Nut
    Maybe you just don’t made the right setup for the track and don’t  trained enough
  • MrCosta96MrCosta96 Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 14
    01: Australia - AI too strong
    Well I thought this was based on Australia only so don't mind my vote. I meant to vote in Just Right. Although there are a few tracks where AI is a bit too fast (on 110 AI, the top qualifying times in Bahrain were on the 1:24's (!) thats like at least 3 tenths faster than top time trial times!) and a bit too slow (Canada and Austria come into mind).
  • KittyFit90KittyFit90 Member Unleaded
    Interesting Poll. I find the majority of the tracks just about right but the street tracks the AI is way too fast imo.
    Retired racer, full time science nerd!
    edited September 14
    Looking at the poll results as of now - the biggest complaints so far are:

1) Monaco A.I too strong
    2) Austria A.I too weak
    3) Baku - A.I too strong

I have not got to Monza yet in Career - but found in F12017 that A.I was too easy - has this been corrected in F1 2018 then?

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    TL77 said:
    simon7109 said:
    Clearly the AI is unbalanced. It's the same tracks for me too. Austria and Canada I dominate the AI. Bahrain I get killed by them. It wouldn't be a big deal to have the AI levels for those tracks to be slightly altered by a click or two. 

I really don't even enjoy Austria and I'm still better than the AI there easily. On the other hand I love Hungary and it's the track I spend most time on. But still the AI is quite challenging there, at least way more difficult than Canada or Austria.

Yeah I agree I really struggle on narrow twisty tracks like Monaco and Japan yet I can blitz them on most tracks with long straights like Bahrain, Canada and Abu Dhabi for example. They rarely get a look in on me on those tracks unless I make a mistake.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

@Faya have a look at the poll that's running
  • BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Race Engineer
    edited September 15
    FRACTURED said:
    This is one of those few things where I don't approach it from the point of view that codies have no clue what they are doing 95% of the time. 

If you are saying that the AI are completely different from track to track for a given level, and its actually the human that is consistent over 20+ tracks, please post all TT times for all tracks, positions on leaderboards, and we'll get to the bottom of this ourselves, thanks.
    From what I read in the poll it is actually the same experience I have. If you take Australia as the benchmark of being your accepted difficulty Monaco has become very difficult, Baku is more difficult, Austria is to weak. Those are the most noticeable, also in the poll
    Post edited by BelgiumDude on
  • sirio994sirio994 Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 14
    The poll shows clear trends. And the more you go up with the difficulty slider the more it becomes clear. I hope they can make it perfect. But anyway this is the most balanced racing game. Way better than the others. Only one car and 21 tracks, it helps a lot but for example in PC2 the AI can swing by 40 points. OK, I understand the huge number of tracks and classes, but having to adjust the AI by 40 points from class to class or track to track is bad. Not a great job in that case... 
  • Icecream76Icecream76 Member Unleaded
    AI is weakest at China, Canada, Mexico.   AI is good everywhere else.
    Monaco isn't more difficult AI wise, its just a very difficult track.  The track itself IS part of the difficulty.
    Monza on the other hand the track is a piece of cake.
    Baku isn't too hard, it suffers from D.I.D.S.  you either set the car up for the fast sections, and suffer in the slower ones, or visa versa and suffer on the straights. Both can work, but if you setup for "middle of the road" you are golden.

TLDR version
    Monza makes the AI SEEM easier.  Monaco makes the AI SEEM harder. Baku is all about balance.