Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

How did we go from Dirt Rally to Dirt 4 physics

Dirt 4s physics are just terrible. If it wasn't for how fun the trophy trucks and buggy's are (even though they steer themselves into corners with no assists on lol), this game would be worthless. All the rally cars have extremely unnatural understeer, and simply don't make sense in how they handle in most cases. Changing the power balance to the rear wheels doesn't even make a difference. How did this happen? Why the step back?

Comments

• DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    They didn't have the time to finish/polish rally physices, like they did with rallycross and landrush, I think they even mentioned it in some interviews. Not sure why they didn't do anything after launch though. But there were multiple things that were a step forwards too, like the increased weight of the cars, force feedback, braking (how cars get unnerved when braking).
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport | F1 2015
  • UP100UP100 Member Petrol Head
    All DIRT games have some problems with the physics. No game is perfect. Some people who came from DIRT 4 to Dirt Rally complain how Dirt Rally has bad physics, and some people who come from Dirt Rally to DIRT 4 say how DIRT 4 has bad physics. Neither is 100% realistic though.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    D4 did some things right but took a step back in other aspects.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• SamRWDSamRWD Member Race Engineer
    Dirt Rally physics were also atrocious, but that game came out with no hype and so there were no expectations. D4 came out with a promise to be realistic, but that promise was not kept. The real problem is that D4 was made with gamepad gameplay in mind, so when you try that kind of game with steering wheel and cockpit cam you get even worse experience. 
    IMHO someone made decision to dumb down rally part of the game to appeal to more casual gamers, so when you take primitive physics and make them even more simplistic you get a mess that D4 was (overall wrong grip levels were the easiest to spot by community in D4 physics thread). I didn't play it for ages now, but I doubt they even fixed the issue with brakes not being able to lock wheels on loose surface.
  • JorritVDJorritVD Member Wheel Nut
    I bought DR and D4 for PS4 during the discount weeks recently. So far I just focused on DR. Yesterday night I went to do some online RX races in D4 for fun. But that was quite a chance in handling. Really needed to adapt myself how to attack corners and braking. 
    "If you look left, you not see anything on the right"
    IG: JorritVD9 | T/FB: JorritVD
    Consultant | Graphics Designer | 2017 McLaren GT Art livery winner | CHASE Autosports sim racer
  • DarkRedslayerDarkRedslayer Member Race Steward
    UP100 said:
    All DIRT games have some problems with the physics. No game is perfect. Some people who came from DIRT 4 to Dirt Rally complain how Dirt Rally has bad physics, and some people who come from Dirt Rally to DIRT 4 say how DIRT 4 has bad physics. Neither is 100% realistic though.
    Dirt rally definitely has it's flaws, but it's significantly closer to reality than Dirt 4. Dirt 4 feels straight arcade. You can't even do a proper 4wd burnout/doughnut because the cause simply will not oversteer properly while on throttle.

Honestly if someone went from Dirt 4- Dirt Rally and thought dirt 4 felt more realistic, they've probably never driven a car to its limits in real life. Dirt Rally's biggest flaw was once the cars started to get some air, they would bounce like a damn balloon lol.