Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

VR support in Dirt Rally 2 ?

Can someone from Codemaster please say something about VR support in this game? Is it implemented from release or not? If not, what are the plans for it?
MongoJon [VR] on leaderboards.

Comments

• DytutDytut Member Champion
    And if supported, which VR sets? If DR 2 supports VR then I'm getting one.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• UP100UP100 Member Petrol Head
    I would guess the game uses EGO3 like DIRT 4? Only Codemasters' games that have had VR are Grid: Autosport (2014) and DIRT Rally (2015) to my knowledge. Both of those games use the older engines I believe... I wish there would be one even though I don't own a VR headset or anything.
  • MTOJayMTOJay Member Unleaded
    if they really ditch vr support after it being such a great feature of dirt rally they cant be helped.

this is a simracing game with a realistic approach to driving mechanics. this is not only aimed at the casual racers but also at the hardcore simcrowd.

many of us already switched to full vr rigs. i took my triples of my rig ages ago. i only have a small screen to the right side of me on my rig because i will never be able to drive on a screen and enjoy it anyway.

codemasters should take a look at the iracing forums and realize how many of us are already racing in vr.

i really hope they include it. but if they dont, its their loss, many of us are not going to buy it.
  • DarhourDarhour Member Co-Driver
    I don't like this VR thing, it is quite hallucinatory. 
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 26
    MTOJay said:
    if they really ditch vr support after it being such a great feature of dirt rally they cant be helped.

this is a simracing game with a realistic approach to driving mechanics. this is not only aimed at the casual racers but also at the hardcore simcrowd.

many of us already switched to full vr rigs. i took my triples of my rig ages ago. i only have a small screen to the right side of me on my rig because i will never be able to drive on a screen and enjoy it anyway.

codemasters should take a look at the iracing forums and realize how many of us are already racing in vr.

i really hope they include it. but if they dont, its their loss, many of us are not going to buy it.
    Exactly. Once used to VR there is no way back. How good the game is, no VR no buy.
    Post edited by Janneman60 on
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    Guess I'm better off not trying VR at all then. If it affects things that much.
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • eXerfiteXerfit Member Unleaded
    Yeah, that is how I see it too. Can’t see myself going back to regular screens ever again playing racing games. Dirt Rally is the best game ever with VR so I can’t even remotely describe how bummed out I’m gonna be if this game does not support VR. 
  • EDDSkitzEDDSkitz Member Unleaded
    VR still not ready for prime time... I just hope they didn't take time away from regular development to cater to such a small user base. 
    EDDSkitz said:
    VR still not ready for prime time... I just hope they didn't take time away from regular development to cater to such a small user base. 
    What the do you mean by "not ready"? Of course it is. Have you ever tried Dirt Rally with it? I think not. More and more serious sim racers are switching over to VR. All true simracing games support it now, AC, iRacing, Project Cars, LFS and so on support it. Hell, they managed to support it in Dirt Rally 1, why not support it in Dirt Rally 2? It would be stupid not to if they aim to be a rally simulator. If you don't like VR, fine, you'll still be able to play it without. It's just idiotic to think at the game will suffer or be worse if they allocate som resources to VR developement.
  • xcAzxxcAzx Member New Car Smell
    Saying VR takes away dev time is just wrong.  A lot of companies hire 3rd party VR teams to implement VR.

They should start a Kickstarter to do it.  The money will be there.

EDDSkitz said:

• PolarClawPolarClaw Member Unleaded
    I never thought it would be a discussion if they support VR. I was so happy about hearing that DR 2 is coming and for me it was clear that it would support VR.
    If  not, it would be a big disappointment ... and sorry to say but no VR no buy also for me.
  • camdazcamdaz Member New Car Smell
    Dirt Rally is the best game I've played in VR so I'm hoping number two has VR support from the start. 
  • GuegangsterGuegangster Member New Car Smell
    Dirt Rally is my all time favourite game, however I am not playing it without VR.
    If there is no VR in Dirt Rally 2.0, I am not buyung it.
    If they announce PSVR support, I am pre-ordering the deluxe version at once! So I hope they will clarify VR support soon with some good news...
  • magjalmagjal Member New Car Smell
    Was excited today when I heard the news of Dirt Rally 2... However, if there will be no VR there will not be a purchase from my point of view. PC Rallying has not been the same since VR, nothing can comapre to the feeling, the control, and overall total immersivity? (or something like that...) you get with Dirt Rally VR today.

If VR will be supported... then shut up and take my money :-)
  • SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    edited September 26
    Dytut said:
    And if supported, which VR sets? If DR 2 supports VR then I'm getting one.
    @Dytut don't make that decision only on the supported devices. There are cross-plattform tools, and there are some big differences between the headsets.
    I suggest finding a local electronics store, where you can try out a few.
    From my own research and testing:
    Original Vive and Oculus Rift have excellent tracking, but horrible Screen Door Effect (SDE), you can count pixels.
    Most of the WMR-Headsets have the same screen and lenses, which have quite a narrow sweet spot, meaning you will see blurry areas rather soon away from the centerline. And they have inside out tracking, which in my experience is well good enough for anything in cockpits (flying, driving) and very convenient. It just loses controllers easily when out of the headsets sight.
    Then there is the Vive Pro, which I did get to try on CeBiT. This meets all my criteria for great (first) VR headset, but it's imho hugely overpriced. And then there was the Odyssey, a WMR with the same high-res screens (2x1600x1440) as the Vive Pro and much bigger sweet spot. But officially unavailable in europe. Got one anyway, and it is the 2nd best VR I've tried so far (after Vive Pro), for a third of the price.
    Don't go by the resolution numbers, through the focus of lenses and the closeness to your eyes, you will have a lot less relevant pixels. A lot are outside the lens-focus and even more make up the cockpit your sitting in. Driving with my VR feels like a 720p screen (on-road), but the immersion and spacial sense makes up for it.
    Haven't tried the PSVR though, would gladly read some insight on that, anyone? Maybe making this partly a VR-Rallying-Advice-Thread?
  • Mafkees89Mafkees89 Member New Car Smell
    well folks, doesn't seem like there'll be vr in dr 2.0...

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/dirt-rally-20-has-no-vr-support-planned

How stupid is the community manager, really?  -"“We're focusing on making the core game experience before launch - and after that, if there is demand from our community, then we'll explore the possibility,” McGrath said."  IF THERE IS DEMAND?? Isn't it a part of a community managers job to follow social media and forums? There is DEMAND everywhere from the community, now, not after !!
  • xcAzxxcAzx Member New Car Smell
    Pretty much the same here. I only bought DR + wheel because of VR.  I get headaches/feel stressed when I play racing games on a monitor. Lack of depth and visibility is probably what does it.  There's just a disconnect where I can't "feel" the car. In VR, it's pure adrenaline.  Totally different feelings between monitor and VR.  At least this time around they're saying they'll look out for demand(even though it's obvious)  versus "no plans" only like DiRT 4
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Wheel Nut
    I see what you mean. After driving dirt rally for a while I was at the point of replacing my small 20" monitor with a big one. Then there came VR for dirt rally. Tried it and bought it. Best thing I ever bought for a game. Later on to make better use of the VR bought a playseat.

It is so strange codemasters were so innovative with VR and now, at a time period were it starting to get common, don't bring it to dirt rally 2.

But well, this is it. Going to loose interest in community about dr2, perhaps one day codemasters bring it on and I buy the game.