Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

VR support in Dirt Rally 2 ?

Comments

• zissakos1zissakos1 Member Wheel Nut
    edited December 2018
    You can't argue opinions. I totally respect your opinion, any opinion. Thanks for participating!
    And obviously CM management seems to share your opinion. That's totally fine. Each to their own. We are all adults.

The thing is, all other sim racing developers have a different opinion.
    Oh, and a large part of the potential customer base has expressed that they won't be buying the game without VR support.
    And I think something like this matters in capitalism. But that's just my opinion :-)
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Team Principal
    zissakos1 said:
    Oh, and a large part of the potential customer base has expressed that they won't be buying the game without VR support.
    Just to remember: large part or very vocal minority? For every 100 people complaining about no VR, there could be 10000 who, because they don't care if there is VR or not, aren't bothering to say anything.
  • DreamyGhostZDreamyGhostZ Member New Car Smell
    edited December 2018
    zissakos1 said:
    Just to remember: large part or very vocal minority? For every 100 people complaining about no VR, there could be 10000 who, because they don't care if there is VR or not, aren't bothering to say anything.
    That's because people who don't own VR usually won't fuss over something like this. YT is being flooded with #novrnobuy comments on every upload related to DR2.0 but most people don't even bother to comment they don't care.

Because, you know. They don't care at all. What reason would they have to comment anyways? I think a vast majority of players will just show their opinion after launch on reviews.

Believe it or not, most will not even mention VR.
    Post edited by DreamyGhostZ on
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Wheel Nut
    How do you know it is the best game? That was said about dirt4 to...

To be honest the footage they showed gives me an idea of another arcadish game rather then a sim. I hope I am wrong with that.

Eitherway at this point I dob't believe one word codemasters say about a new game. To bad but it is them who brought me to that point.
    edited December 2018

To be honest the footage they showed gives me an idea of another arcadish game rather then a sim. I hope I am wrong with that.

Eitherway at this point I dob't believe one word codemasters say about a new game. To bad but it is them who brought me to that point.
    That's your opinion. D4 was a boomer, but it points a rather strong need to change, since CM actually killed GRID series with Grid 2 and Autosport (let's be honest, both suck).

DR was made on a budget, a very risky project with funds being acquired on the verge of development. Why is it so good? Because it's different. Why D4 is so bad? Because CM gave the original series a last shot, finally realizing people wouldn't stand default DiRT anymore. They've already tried a more mature approach with D3 even though it was pretty much sluggish. Question is it was sim-focused, despite still featuring arcadish handling.

What to expect from DR2.0? Perhaps a core sim which traces back to its roots. As @mumblesh said before, maybe CM didn't promise VR because letting people down like this would be worse. Do they have the know-how? Obviously. But let's not forget this game is being developed on a rush, since D4 came out on August last year.

I'm not telling you to buy the game on pre-order or even after launch. But to debunk all of CM's efforst, which is clearly listening to the community (they could've announced D5 if they wanted to) to bring us a sequel to their best game to date, is so meaningless and embarrassing.

We already don't have good rally games. Gravel is pathetic, as it is WRC1~7 (new gen) and Sébastien Loeb Rally (why do Milestone keep trying so bad to create games this poor). The best we can do is at least offer some kind of support. CM will surely reward players who stand by their side.

• UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    CM actually killed GRID series with Grid 2 and Autosport (let's be honest, both suck)
    I mean let's be honest, that is your opinion and it doesn't match most of the games' steam playerbase...
  • mumbleshmumblesh Member Unleaded
    There

Eitherway at this point I dob't believe one word Codemasters say about a new game. To bad but it is them who brought me to that point.
    This is off topic. I believe Dirt Rally is the rally game of choice right now, that's all. I'm sure many rally fans/sim racers would support that statement. This is about CM's support for VR, for which they said they have no intention to support it right now. So if not now, when? We'd love to know.

You sound like you don't like Dirt Rally. Dirt 4 really felt a bit rushed out in my opinion. Marketing will always be positive, for anything, whether critics consensus is the same, well that's different.

edited December 2018
    Janneman60 said:y

That's your opinion. D4 was a boomer, but it points a rather strong need to change, since CM actually killed GRID series with Grid 2 and Autosport (let's be honest, both suck).

DR was made on a budget, a very risky project with funds being acquired on the verge of development. Why is it so good? Because it's different. Why D4 is so bad? Because CM gave the original series a last shot, finally realizing people wouldn't stand default DiRT anymore. They've already tried a more mature approach with D3 even though it was pretty much sluggish. Question is it was sim-focused, despite still featuring arcadish handling.

What to expect from DR2.0? Perhaps a core sim which traces back to its roots. As @mumblesh said before, maybe CM didn't promise VR because letting people down like this would be worse. Do they have the know-how? Obviously. But let's not forget this game is being developed on a rush, since D4 came out on August last year.

I'm not telling you to buy the game on pre-order or even after launch. But to debunk all of CM's efforst, which is clearly listening to the community (they could've announced D5 if they wanted to) to bring us a sequel to their best game to date, is so meaningless and embarrassing.

We already don't have good rally games. Gravel is pathetic, as it is WRC1~7 (new gen) and Sébastien Loeb Rally (why do Milestone keep trying so bad to create games this poor). The best we can do is at least offer some kind of support. CM will surely reward players who stand by their side.

I liked colin mcrea (2) because it sort of pointed a way to sim racing even before we knew that term. Dirt 1, 2, 3 I didn't even thought a moment of buying that, just not my cup of tea. Should have known that something called dirt4 would be pointless to buy.

Nevertheless all footage of dr2 looks more like dirt4 as it looks like dirt rally. So I will not step on the hype-train and wait for what reviews gives. And probably with good reviews still wait till VR is implemented
    I liked colin mcrea (2) because it sort of pointed a way to sim racing even before we knew that term. Dirt 1, 2, 3 I didn't even thought a moment of buying that, just not my cup of tea. Should have known that something called dirt4 would be pointless to buy.

Nevertheless all footage of dr2 looks more like dirt4 as it looks like dirt rally. So I will not step on the hype-train and wait for what reviews gives. And probably with good reviews still wait till VR is implemented
    Footage shows a game way different than D4, but ok, your point of view, not gonna judge lol

Nobody has ever forced you into buying the game. If you don't believe it's good enough for you, that's your right then to not buy it. It's your money and you may do as you please.

Reviews are there to help people out when making this decision. By reading them, you're actually doing what everybody should, so thumbs up. I'll be one of the reviewers so I hope it may be of use for you.
  • mumbleshmumblesh Member Unleaded
    edited December 2018

You don't like Dirt Rally? Have you played it? I ask because you mention the Dirt series, not Dirt Rally, which is not related to that series. I admit it's not quite the full package, but it wasn't planned to be. It's still the best rally game since Colin McRae in terms of how it feels. I have high hopes for Dirt Rally 2, and we have very good YouTubers who know their stuff these days, who will easily talk you through the game to help you make your mind up. I would love to see how you do at the game! The full rally-cross license is a good thing too. :)
    mumblesh said:

You don't like Dirt Rally? Have you played it? I ask because you mention the Dirt series, not Dirt Rally, which is not related to that series. I admit it's not quite the full package, but it wasn't planned to be. It's still the best rally game since Colin McRae in terms of how it feels. I have high hopes for Dirt Rally 2, and we have very good YouTubers who know their stuff these days, who will easily talk you through the game to help you make your mind up. I would love to see how you do at the game! The full rally-cross license is a good thing too. :)
    I think you get me wrong here. I'm addicted to dirt rally with over 1400 hours in the game 😀
  • GuegangsterGuegangster Member New Car Smell
    mumblesh said:
    I don't like some who have the reaction that "without VR I ain't buying". That's so childish.
    Dirt Rally has been my favorite game for most of the last two years. And you know what? Without VR support, I am not buying DR2. I am not saying it because I am disappointed, but because I have zero interest in playing flat.
    Always been a racing sim fan, never liked rally games though. Bought DR because of VR, bought wheel and racing seat because of Dirt Rally in VR.
    I d rather play DR2 in VR and have no wheel support!

If VR players say they won t buy the game without VR support, it gives code master an idea of the potential market they will loose.
    They choose not to support VR, fine! I choose not to buy... I would have pre-ordered the full version if they had.

I think it s better to say it, than just give up on what could be my favourite 2019 game
  • zissakos1zissakos1 Member Wheel Nut
    edited December 2018
    Can people please stop calling people wo say "no VR no buy" childish? What is so childish about that? It's adults (players) talking to other adults (Codemasters) why they won't buy the product they are currently producing/developing. For the producer of a product, it is a very helpful insight into customers's minds about buying decisions and can give a feeling about how much of a market is there.
    Would you buy any product out there? If you buy a TV, or a mobile phone, you just buy anything? You don't check the features first? When you buy a car, you don't have minimum requirements? Never gone to a car salesperson saying "I want a car with <enter_favorite_feature_here>?" That's exactly the same! It's telling the sales/producing business what customers want.
    And since when are customers not allowed to say what they want?
    Well that's what we do too! And guess what, standards are rising and evolving. Would you buy a TV without FullHD Resolution (or without 4K these days)? Would telling the salesperson "no FullHD/4K no buy" be childish? It's your minimum criteria for a TV, so that's totally your right as a customer!
    And for many simracers VR has become a de facto standard. Codemasters (management) just hasn't noticed it yet. So it is our right to tell them. And guess what, by telling them so early in the production process, we are actually doing them a favor, because now it might not be too late to consider it in the development process!
    Would it be better to not say anything at all and then when the game releases a majority of simracers just not buy it and say "oh it doesn't have VR support so I don't buy it". How would CM feel? "Had we known people want VR so badly we might have considered it..." Well, we are raising our voice to prevent exactly that from happening!!!
  • GuegangsterGuegangster Member New Car Smell
    zissakos1 said:
    Can people please stop calling people wo say "no VR no buy" childish? What is so childish about that? It's adults (players) talking to other adults (Codemasters) why they won't buy the product they are currently producing/developing. For the producer of a product, it is a very helpful insight into customers's minds about buying decisions and can give a feeling about how much of a market is there.
    Would you buy any product out there? If you buy a TV, or a mobile phone, you just buy anything? You don't check the features first? When you buy a car, you don't have minimum requirements? Never gone to a car salesperson saying "I want a car with <enter_favorite_feature_here>?" That's exactly the same! It's telling the sales/producing business what customers want.
    And since when are customers not allowed to say what they want?
    Well that's what we do too! And guess what, standards are rising and evolving. Would you buy a TV without FullHD Resolution (or without 4K these days)? Would telling the salesperson "no FullHD/4K no buy" be childish? It's your minimum criteria for a TV, so that's totally your right as a customer!
    And for many simracers VR has become a de facto standard. Codemasters (management) just hasn't noticed it yet. So it is our right to tell them. And guess what, by telling them so early in the production process, we are actually doing them a favor, because now it might not be too late to consider it in the development process!
    Would it be better to not say anything at all and then when the game releases a majority of simracers just not buy it and say "oh it doesn't have VR support so I don't buy it". How would CM feel? "Had we known people want VR so badly we might have considered it..." Well, we are raising our voice to prevent exactly that from happening!!!
    My point exactly! Companies love to have feedback about their product, because it helps them sell more and improve their offer.

If people just give up on non VR games, without saying why, companies will just have to find out why or stop making games.
    I am not buying a non VR game I will not play. I ll just keep playing dirt rally and other VR compatible games...
  • horaciohrahoraciohra Member New Car Smell
    hi guys,

I hope that in the end you pay attention to these requests and include a vr mode. After having tried vr with Dirt Rally, any other experience without this format does not reach the desired level. I hope you make an effort so that finally VR is available.

Best Regards! 😇
    mumblesh said:
    I don't like some who have the reaction that "without VR I ain't buying". That's so childish.
    Dirt Rally has been my favorite game for most of the last two years. And you know what? Without VR support, I am not buying DR2. I am not saying it because I am disappointed, but because I have zero interest in playing flat.
    Always been a racing sim fan, never liked rally games though. Bought DR because of VR, bought wheel and racing seat because of Dirt Rally in VR.
    I d rather play DR2 in VR and have no wheel support!

If VR players say they won t buy the game without VR support, it gives code master an idea of the potential market they will loose.
    They choose not to support VR, fine! I choose not to buy... I would have pre-ordered the full version if they had.

I think it s better to say it, than just give up on what could be my favourite 2019 game
    Well, you already gave up lol

But don't worry, there'll be plenty of reviews for you to read in the future. Place your bet.

The last comments in this thread are just so cringy and elitist I want to puke. As I always said, if you don't want it, don't buy it. You're not forced to.
  • FizzlenogFizzlenog Member New Car Smell
    I gave in and currently building a pc and order a vr headset as well. Really looking forward to trying dirt rally vr. Hope I don't turn into a no vr no buy after I try it lol. What is everyone's experience with motion sickness if I don't have a motion sim
  • nbates66nbates66 Member Wheel Nut
    edited December 2018
    Fizzlenog said:
    I gave in and currently building a pc and order a vr headset as well. Really looking forward to trying dirt rally vr. Hope I don't turn into a no vr no buy after I try it lol. What is everyone's experience with motion sickness if I don't have a motion sim
    Curious-which Headset did you order? unfortunately it seems Valve released a SteamVR update in the last few weeks that has broken every WindowsMR headset for Dirt Rally and various other apps -
    https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/1121
    I spent a week trying to diagnose a new performance issue until I found out about this. Right now there are specific spots I get heavy stuttering and changes to settings make no difference whatsoever.
  • CatBaddersCatBadders Member Unleaded
    Fizzlenog said:
    I did the same a few weeks ago, was really nervous with DR2.0 not supporting it day 1 but I absolutely loved DR with it. Was absolutely amazing, literally game changing. Just make sure to change the camera shake to mimic the vehicle.  There is an option to either have your head be a stability cam and not move within the vehicle (which made me sick) or to move with the vehicle which solved all of my problems.
    Dirt Rally | G27 | Predator x34 | Sim-Lab GT1 Evo 80/20 | Rhinegeist Truth

I enjoy a game that kicks my ass. If I'm not cussing, this **** is too easy.