Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

VR support in Dirt Rally 2 ?

Comments

• MTOJayMTOJay Member Unleaded
    what is it with people who dont own vr that are heavily against it?

i dont get that mindset. why cant we as a community not be open for options for everybody to enjoy the game in the we enjoy it the most.

i couldnt care less if someone wants to play the game on a keyboard with 15" crt monitor. more power to you as far as i am concerned. i just want options for proven hardware. and regardless of people believing it or not, vr headsets have proven themselfs in simracing for 2 years now.

its kinda ridicolous to release a successor of a game with less options of display devices compared to the predecessor.
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Wheel Nut
    MTOJay said:
    what is it with people who dont own vr that are heavily against it?

i dont get that mindset. why cant we as a community not be open for options for everybody to enjoy the game in the we enjoy it the most.

i couldnt care less if someone wants to play the game on a keyboard with 15" crt monitor. more power to you as far as i am concerned. i just want options for proven hardware. and regardless of people believing it or not, vr headsets have proven themselfs in simracing for 2 years now.

its kinda ridicolous to release a successor of a game with less options of display devices compared to the predecessor.
    It more or less shows that codemasters don't aim at the people who want sim but aim at the larger group of casual players. From money-talk view it is quite understadable.

On the other hand it gives me the impression that gameplay is also dedicated fir that group. Which means it is more like dirt4 gameplay. In tgat case I don't mind if is has no VR as then I am not that interested anyway.
  • CrazyNevadaCrazyNevada Member Pit Crew
    It more or less shows that codemasters don't aim at the people who want sim but aim at the larger group of casual players. From money-talk view it is quite understadable.

On the other hand it gives me the impression that gameplay is also dedicated fir that group. Which means it is more like dirt4 gameplay. In tgat case I don't mind if is has no VR as then I am not that interested anyway.
    So are you trying to say that sim's are only these games that have VR support? 
  • SkyRexSkyRex Member Petrol Head

So are you trying to say that sim's are only these games that have VR support? 
    I think he says it's like brining out a new sim, but without any wheel support. Still a sim sure, but maybe not up to the times.
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    I’m not against VR at all, I tried it once, and although it made me very sick, it was incredibly good! But making stupid points about how easy it is to implement are not achieving anything. Hopefully it can be added after launch if there is enough demand for it (which fair enough you need to post about it to get your voices heard), but it’s already been said that it won’t be there for launch, and I doubt that will change
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    I’m not against VR at all, I tried it once, and although it made me very sick, it was incredibly good! But making stupid points about how easy it is to implement are not achieving anything.
    Indeed. If there's one thing guaranteed to make a developer's blood boil, it's the phrase "surely it would be easy to..."
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    looperi said:

What i have bought for Dirt rally VR:
    Oculus CV1, Thrustmaster T500RS, TH8RS shifter, Clubsport v2 pedals, clubsport handbrake, oculus touch controllers, DOF reality P2 motion platform, Sparco sprint authentic seat and a 4 point harness. And iam not rich.

Mate, I understand that - I'm one who's on the fence with VR; I've tried it with Il2 primarily, it increases the immersion but something about the graphics feel more 'gamey' to me. Just saying I would support its inclusion, but personally it won't be the decisive factor for me personally, although I completely understand why it would be for some.

However, you're overlooking one thing. You've spent all that time and money on DR, but Codemasters have seen about €20 of it. The same €20 that someone who plays the game on a pad for a hundred hours receives. Making your (and my) experience top notch is great, but the only benefit we offer is the positive output, reviews and encouragement for others to buy the game. I think this is what they have discovered with DiRT 4 and are rectifying for DiRT Rally 2 and an early commitment to ongoing support shows this.

Sorry, I'm not saying they shouldn't do VR, but I understand they have to see the business decision for it. Personally, I can see that the benefit is as much in simmers, reviews, positive word-of-mouth and YouTube content as in extra sales, and I hope it's eventually included. Post-live support gives me hope it will be.
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • looperilooperi Member New Car Smell

Mate, I understand that - I'm one who's on the fence with VR; I've tried it with Il2 primarily, it increases the immersion but something about the graphics feel more 'gamey' to me. Just saying I would support its inclusion, but personally it won't be the decisive factor for me personally, although I completely understand why it would be for some.

However, you're overlooking one thing. You've spent all that time and money on DR, but Codemasters have seen about €20 of it. The same €20 that someone who plays the game on a pad for a hundred hours receives. Making your (and my) experience top notch is great, but the only benefit we offer is the positive output, reviews and encouragement for others to buy the game. I think this is what they have discovered with DiRT 4 and are rectifying for DiRT Rally 2 and an early commitment to ongoing support shows this.

Sorry, I'm not saying they shouldn't do VR, but I understand they have to see the business decision for it. Personally, I can see that the benefit is as much in simmers, reviews, positive word-of-mouth and YouTube content as in extra sales, and I hope it's eventually included. Post-live support gives me hope it will be.
    I know what you mean about the graphics and i'd have to agree that they are indeed lacking. Good thing is 2nd gen HMDs are just around the corner aand will make things a lot better. ill probably grab a pimax 5k/+ for Dirt rally _1_ and Richard Burns Rally(2004, also has VR :) ) for the better FOV and clarity, should be epic. Who knows maybe ill have a look a track racing even though i dislike it.

And well yeah, i paid the same as everyone else, sure. But codemasters could've released dozens of cars or stages/locations for 10€ a piece, and i would've probably bought them all. I dont think your average 5/10hours played total player would. I still would buy every bit of extra road content for dirt rally that was offered. But they choose not to, thats on them, not me. I could've been worth 10+ customers for them easy.

I know it might not for some weird reason make 100% sense when looking at the numbers on paper but i mean, even if it takes some hours, how expensive can it be? Looking at the poll going on in the DirT subreddit, 141 people so far have voted they have VR headseats. Thats 7747euros in potential preorders, most surely lost. On top of that, all the lost dlc sales down the road. And really that 141 wont be the end of it. So lets call it an even 10 000 on those 141. Can you really not get VR done for 10 000? Even close?
    Even if its almost a +-0 on the bottom line its such a **** move against everyone who got and still enjoy dirt rally for VR alone. The fastest guy actively playing and arguably of all time uses VR and i know of a few others in the top 10 that do aswell. I really dont understand their logic here with this "if theres demand" stuff apart from screwing around with us. They should implement VR, it can be a DLC/additional bought feature i dont care, and release tons of DLC content with new tracks etc and milk us dry while laughing all the way to their desk with a monitor on it. Thats what they should be doing instead of this fiasco.

• afahoyafahoy Member New Car Smell
    “141 people so far have voted they have VR headseats. Thats 7747euros in potential preorders, most surely lost.”

No it’s not “most surely lost” – just because a few fanatical VR purists won’t buy due to lack of VR, doesn’t mean all VR owners are like that.

• wulliebhoywulliebhoy Member New Car Smell
    edited September 2018
    I've never been so angry with a game developer... I thought VR would 100% be in it from launch no question. If this is true I've lost the last bit of hope I had for Codemasters and I will never buy another Codemasters game!!
  • KembroKembro Member New Car Smell
    Agree with most other views here. Still holding hope for PSVR support, will be very dissapointed and probably keep playing DR if they don't include it. It's my go to VR experience. Nothing like that full perspective of the vehicle rotation. I seem hold lines and   hit apexs easier with it too. Just awesome to be able to play all of Dirt Rally in VR. 🤞
  • zissakos1zissakos1 Member Wheel Nut
    looperi said:
    Iam with most folks here. Iam absolutely devastated that DR 2 won't(as of now) have VR on launch. I dont think i've ever been this upset by a decision made by a company, ANY company, in my entire life. Sorry this is going to be a long one, becouse this is really important becouse i really need fresh roads.

As of right now i have 1168hours logged in dirt rally. 1168. Thats 38,829 miles or 62,489 kilometers according to the web tool. Think about those numbers for a second with the amount of road dirt rally actually has. And i drive 98% Gravel/snow. On top of that; i've spent thousands on driving equipment, just for this single game in VR.  Dirt rally is the only thing i have/use VR for.
    What i have bought for Dirt rally VR:
    Oculus CV1, Thrustmaster T500RS, TH8RS shifter, Clubsport v2 pedals, clubsport handbrake, oculus touch controllers, DOF reality P2 motion platform, Sparco sprint authentic seat and a 4 point harness. And iam not rich.
    Now all this sounds pretty crazy right? can a single VR game really be that good, to warrant all those purchases? And the answer really is YES!  I think codemasters (by accident) created one of the best games of all time with Dirt Rally VR. Hell i knew NOTHING about rally before i found it and the last time i had played any kind of car game, let alone a simulation was more than a decade away. So iam not a racing game/rally enthusiast. I dont even follow the WRC in any way.

What i've always wanted to do though, is drive on dirt roads really fast and slide the car. For obvious reasons i didn't do it, for the most part. But this game lets me do it. As fast/irresponsible as i want and no one gets hurt. Now someone might think that "you can do that with a monitor" and yeah, they are techinically correct. But when going from a monitor to VR, the game shifts from being a game to you driving the car. Your brain does an amazing job of thinking its in the real deal, even though you know it aint. The fear/excitement/adrenaline, its all real.  Nothing compares in the video game world, absolutely nothing. And i think this "driving too fast on public roads" is a rather common male fantasy. Its delusional that playing the game from a monitor would offer a comparable experience. You cant go back to playing from a monitor after you experience it.

I know iam biased becouse iam so heavily invested into VR(dirt) rallying already, but i cant help but feel a little betrayed, that the sequal doesn't have VR when a surprisingly large chunk of the still active really fast drivers on dirt rally use it.  Also if a single guy on his spare time managed to implement VR into RBR, a game from 2004, how difficult/resource consuming can it really be? If you think its not worth the money just do what was already suggested here and start some kind of a crowdfunding campaign for it. Dirt Rally 2 really needs to have VR on release, not months after. Blunder of the decade if it doesnt.

same here!! absolute same Story!! If Dirt Rally 2.0 doesn't get VR Support at Launch, this will be the diappointment of the decade and the single most wrong Business decision of Codemasters of the last years!!
  • zissakos1zissakos1 Member Wheel Nut
    eXerfit said:
    Either way, when Kunos (AC), Slightly Mad Studios (Project Cars), iRacing, the microteam that makes Live for speed and the ONE guy who made VR possible on RBR, a game from 2004 can do it, why can't Codemasters do it?  Hell, even Codemasters has done it before in Dirt Rally. Their target audience is about the same people so the "we'll look into it if there is a demand" **** argument is invalid. 

THIS!!!!
    That is EXACTLY the Point. We all know that it is not just a matter of clicking some Buttons. But whatever effort it is, others are doing it, and Codemasters HAVE DONE IT IN THE PAST!!!!

• DytutDytut Member Champion
    zissakos1 said:
    eXerfit said:
    Either way, when Kunos (AC), Slightly Mad Studios (Project Cars), iRacing, the microteam that makes Live for speed and the ONE guy who made VR possible on RBR, a game from 2004 can do it, why can't Codemasters do it?  Hell, even Codemasters has done it before in Dirt Rally. Their target audience is about the same people so the "we'll look into it if there is a demand" **** argument is invalid. 

THIS!!!!
    That is EXACTLY the Point. We all know that it is not just a matter of clicking some Buttons. But whatever effort it is, others are doing it, and Codemasters HAVE DONE IT IN THE PAST!!!!

For DR Codies got handed a big bag of money from Oculus and Sony to implement it (well after launch, mind you) so they'd have something to show off their hardware on. That's the whole thing. VR support does little to nothing for game sales, but a good VR title can make a massive difference for VR sales. It's still not at the critical mass needed for it to be a priority for game companies.

For DR 2.0, a VR implementation might yield... say 1000-2000 extra sales from the VR crownd that simply won't buy it if it doesn't have VR. But if DR 2.0 gets VR support, it might sell 5000 VR sets. Considering VR sets are 400€ and a game sale is 40€ it's quite easy to see who has incentive for getting VR implementations done.

I hope DR 2.0 will get VR support down the line, since it's a title that might give me the final push to get a HMD. But it sure as hell won't fail due to not supporting VR.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

Dytut said:
    zissakos1 said:
    eXerfit said:

THIS!!!!

For DR Codies got handed a big bag of money from Oculus and Sony to implement it (well after launch, mind you) so they'd have something to show off their hardware on. That's the whole thing. VR support does little to nothing for game sales, but a good VR title can make a massive difference for VR sales. It's still not at the critical mass needed for it to be a priority for game companies.
    do you have a source for that? i have seen that claim a few times now but no one actually ever had any source that oculus paid cm for dirt rally vr.
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    Dytut said:
    zissakos1 said:
    eXerfit said:

THIS!!!!

For DR Codies got handed a big bag of money from Oculus
    I still fail to see any source for this. I don't see why would Oculus give a huge bag of money for Codies in 2014 to do an experimental VR mode which doesn't even work on consumer rifts now.
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Engineer
    edited September 2018
    Yeah I agree, Oculus and Sony are not going to fund like that. A company I did some artwork for had been chasing investments from Oculus a few years back, with a VR only project, and it was impossible to get trough that. So an investment for a project that’s not even VR only, or a certain VR brand exclusive, is not very realistic. Same as Xbox not funding when the project comes to PS4 as well.
    UP100 said:
    Dytut said:
    zissakos1 said:
    eXerfit said:

THIS!!!!

For DR Codies got handed a big bag of money from Oculus
    I still fail to see any source for this. I don't see why would Oculus give a huge bag of money for Codies in 2014 to do an experimental VR mode which doesn't even work on consumer rifts now.
    what do you mean. of course DR runs on consuemr rifts. its sold on the oculus store?!