Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Rally Online

Hello. Will Dirt Rally 2 have online mode for rally discipline?, I mean staggered starts at the very least.
The lack of online mode for rally was one of the biggest cons about the first Dirt Rally.

Comments

• TheEqualTesterTheEqualTester Member Unleaded
    I also hope so. Even though it'll be a pure rally/RX game (and I like that), I crave D3 online modes like Outbreak/Cat & Mouse/Joyride because D4 didn't have any. You know, chilling with friends. I know it'd be the eighth wonder of the world.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.
  • eiieii Member New Car Smell
    eemm, please codemasters?

Are we having either proper staggered or ghosted cars in online rallies this time, or are we not?, could anyone answer please?
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    edited January 4
    @eii I'm not from Codemasters, but I can almost guarantee you that 'staggered starts' won't be a thing, assuming you're on about cars being present on the same stage at the same time and waiting a huge time between each.

However, Dirt 4 had excellent online rallies where everyone competed simultaneously - I'm not sure if ghost cars were an option or not; I would have turned it off immediately if they were - imagine having 15 ghosts on stage around you at once.
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    Staggered starts won’t happen. It’ll probably be similar to D4. 
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
  • CodingRacerCodingRacer Member New Car Smell
    They have not confirmed that yet. But they are listening to the community so if enough people ask for it I'm sure they will implement it, specially with the new "season base" support model. Plenty of time to fix things. In the meanwhile I hope it works as Dirt 4, just click a button a plenty of people rallying against you. 
    edited January 4
    But they are listening to the community so if enough people
    hahah yah codemasters listening to the community hahh nice joke.

Ok so they continue not to confirm anything, same Dirt Rally 1 online **** is to expect then.

And I guess that about the number of stages per country will be same lackluster as this codies have us that used to tittle after tittle.

Passing on this game. Thanks
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    eii said:

Ok so they continue not to confirm anything, same Dirt Rally 1 online **** is to expect then.

And I guess that about the number of stages per country will be same lackluster as this codies have us that used to tittle after tittle.

Ok. You're welcome. 
    eii said:

Methinks you had already made up your response, bearing in mind you ignored the previous two comments. It will likely be a big step up from Dirt Rally 1's online play, which was just the 'challenges' as you mentioned - Dirt 4 has simultaneous online rallying and did it very well and we suspect that it will be a similar approach to this. Codemasters have already mentioned that they will talk more about multiplayer in Jan / Feb, so keep your eyes (and mind) open would be my suggestion.

Are they listening to the community? Yes, for sure. Does "listening to the community" mean a few people demand a change which would have HUGE implications for the engine and they're duty bound to implement it? No, it doesn't. I suspect the demand for VR is massively outweighing this, so I expect that is where they'll start.

Same number of stages per country as title after title? Dirt 4 used a tile system and had no fixed number of stages, Dirt Rally had 2/4 stages per location totalling 20-25km per location, Dirt 3 had about 10km per location. So I have no idea what you mean. It's likely to be similar to Dirt Rally 1, yes, but hardly 'title after title'. Also, when asked whether people would rather have more locations or more stages within each location, the polls on this forum were fairly split, so again, they've listened to their community and are adding new countries and a DLC scheme to be able to expand with more (so there will likely be a record number of unique kilometres for any Dirt game by the end).
    edited January 6
    Are they listening to the community? Yes, for sure. Does "listening to the community" mean a few people demand a change which would have HUGE implications for the engine and they're duty bound to implement it? No, it doesn't. I suspect the demand for VR is massively outweighing this, so I expect that is where they'll start.
    Yep. Just a few people wanted staggered starts lol. Really.
    And about the usual content stage wise in codemasters games and dr1 too.., don't make me laugh come on. I've been around for so long already to know this is , precisely, biggest issue with cm games other than f1. Not to mention almost everything I've seen about dr2 stage wise is just dirt4 recicled assets at the moment.
    I mean. Not sure if serious , but thanks you for taking your time replying weither way.
    edited January 6
    eii said:
    Yep. Just a few people wanted staggered starts lol. Really.
    And about the usual content stage wise in codemasters games and dr1 too.., don't make me laugh come on. I've been around for so long already to know this is , precisely, biggest issue with cm games other than f1. Not to mention almost everything I've seen about dr2 stage wise is just dirt4 recicled assets at the moment.
    I mean. Not sure if serious , but thanks you for taking your time replying weither way.
    I must be missing the huge demand for it then, because I'm not seeing it. VR, I am doing, but not for staggered starts. Hypothetically, if you were the game designer, which aspect would you have compromised on in order to free up the processor power? Physics calculations, draw distances, stage lengths?

OK, so in DR2, we have:

RX:
    - 4 'old' RX locations
    - 4 completely new RX locations

Would you rather they not recycle the actual RX locations they've already modelled and are in the 2018 calendar?

Rally:
    - 3 new locations sharing environments with DiRT 4 (Australia, USA, Spain)
    - 3 new locations never before seen in DiRT franchise (New Zealand, Argentina, Poland)

So the only 'recycled assets' from DiRT 4 were created for a game without real stages; we now get to enjoy proper handmade stages in those environments for the first time. The other half are completely new to the series. Seeing as we've so far seen 1 Polish stage (new), 1 Spanish stage (some assets shared with Dirt 4), 1 New Zealand stage (new), 1 Argentinian stage (new), some clips from Trois Rivieres RX (new) and Silverstone RX (new), I'd politely suggest you haven't been watching closely if you think we've only seen 'dirt4 recicled [sic] assets at the moment'.
    Hypothetically, if you were the game designer, which aspect would you have compromised on in order to free up the processor power? Physics calculations, draw distances, stage lengths?
    Nothing. I wouldn't compromise anything in order to achieve that. Didn't you see other cars in cmr5, dirt2 and 3?, that's it. You don't need to compromise anything on dirt rally in order to either put ghost cars over there or make it staggered starts with 8 or so cars. The engine is perfeclt capable of that we've seen before.
    Processor power?, lol. Physics calculations?, related to cpu power so no problemo. Draw distances?, that would depend on your cpu/gpu and never on the game itself; and stage length.. come on man you serious

OK, so in DR2, we have:

RX:
    - 4 'old' RX locations

Would you rather they not recycle the actual RX locations they've already modelled and are in the 2018 calendar?

Rally:
    - 3 new locations never before seen in DiRT franchise (New Zealand, Argentina, Poland)

So the only 'recycled assets' from DiRT 4 were created for a game without real stages; we now get to enjoy proper handmade stages in those environments for the first time. The other half are completely new to the series. Seeing as we've so far seen 1 Polish stage (new), 1 Spanish stage (some assets shared with Dirt 4), 1 New Zealand stage (new), 1 Argentinian stage (new), some clips from Trois Rivieres RX (new) and Silverstone RX (new), I'd politely suggest you haven't been watching closely if you think we've only seen 'dirt4 recicled [sic] assets at the moment'.
    ok, . So now we have 3 new countries only, with probably just two long different routes each plus the usual cm shorter variations of them.
    Sure that makes for a lot of new content.
    eii said:
    Hypothetically, if you were the game designer, which aspect would you have compromised on in order to free up the processor power? Physics calculations, draw distances, stage lengths?
    Nothing. I wouldn't compromise anything in order to achieve that. Didn't you see other cars in cmr5, dirt2 and 3?, that's it. You don't need to compromise anything on dirt rally in order to either put ghost cars over there or make it staggered starts with 8 or so cars. The engine is perfeclt capable of that we've seen before.
    Processor power?, lol. Physics calculations?, related to cpu power so no problemo. Draw distances?, that would depend on your cpu/gpu and never on the game itself; and stage length.. come on man you serious

OK, so in DR2, we have:

RX:
    - 4 'old' RX locations

Rally:

ok, . So now we have 3 new countries only, with probably just two long different routes each plus the usual cm shorter variations of them.
    This dude should start a dev studio. He wouldn't make any compromises what so ever. His games would be flawless. Everything is just easy. 

Meanwhile in the real world, game design is pretty much always about compromises day in day out. 
    I think I've heard that story before. Sounds cool
  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    bogani said:
    eii said:

OK, so in DR2, we have:

RX:
    - 4 'old' RX locations

Rally:

This dude should start a dev studio. He wouldn't make any compromises what so ever. His games would be flawless. Everything is just easy. 

Meanwhile in the real world, game design is pretty much always about compromises day in day out. 
    Pay more respect to the dude... He solved all the problems of game developing. We just started 2019 while he's already in 3019
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Team Principal
    carpa said:
    bogani said:
    eii said:

OK, so in DR2, we have:

RX:
    - 4 'old' RX locations

Rally:

Pay more respect to the dude... He solved all the problems of game developing. We just started 2019 while he's already in 3019
    I may have found a clip of him working as a game dev:

gifs website
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    I think point hes trying to make is are we getting enought for our $59.99 or not.Thats always a good debate and i dont know if i would ever cut anyone for doubting content and worth in a game they pay for .
    In other words have Codies skimped on content through the years compared to other "sims" ?
    Yes or no?  I bought all their titles, as im a huge rally fan and pickings are slim.
    What does make me wonder often, is how come all these modders can come up with the likes of RBR add on tracks,at their skill levels ?AC modders can do pacenote editors and all that ? And in their free time theyre able to produce some really cool mods /tracks/cars? If they can create all that in their living room, how come its so hard to get a decent share of rally tracks in a sim ,like we want? Officially and professionally?
    Again, im just thinking outloud , and IMHO it would seem we can get the selection of cars like in a SMS or Kunos title? I mean the  game engine is old ,so it would seem that content could be concentrated on .Or if we cant , then definitely make it that we can have DLCs later for sure ...............
  • Rallystu2Rallystu2 Member Pit Crew
    I will say that if there are only 2 stages per event again I will be extremely disappointed in that particular aspect. There really should be double the amount of stage miles compared to dr1. That being said it won't stop me buying the game I'll just feel that codies haven't gone as far as they should have for the people spending the money. 
    I think point hes trying to make is are we getting enought for our $59.99 or not.Thats always a good debate and i dont know if i would ever cut anyone for doubting content and worth in a game they pay for .
    In other words have Codies skimped on content through the years compared to other "sims" ?
    Yes or no?  I bought all their titles, as im a huge rally fan and pickings are slim.
    What does make me wonder often, is how come all these modders can come up with the likes of RBR add on tracks,at their skill levels ?AC modders can do pacenote editors and all that ? And in their free time theyre able to produce some really cool mods /tracks/cars? If they can create all that in their living room, how come its so hard to get a decent share of rally tracks in a sim ,like we want? Officially and professionally?
    Again, im just thinking outloud , and IMHO it would seem we can get the selection of cars like in a SMS or Kunos title? I mean the  game engine is old ,so it would seem that content could be concentrated on .Or if we cant , then definitely make it that we can have DLCs later for sure ...............
    I don't doubt we could get much more stage content but it's all relative to size of the team and overall budget. Would you be willing to wait 12 months more for release for double the stage milage? Would it be financially viable? 

Someone like Patrik Marek who makes BTCC cars for AC, it's literally taking him years after years to create high quality content. 
    edited January 7
    Is telling us that speech what you signed for in order to become a beta tester?
    You have become another tool whose opinion, while as respectable as any other's, is so far from what the users want to see again from codemasters. You actually sound like one of them currently.
    We don't need to be reminded the moment you run out of argumentary the "did you know how difficult making a game actually is" lecture. That's developers business, not ours. Their problem not ours. They deliver, we pay. They don't then we don't too.