Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

2018 Russian Grand Prix

MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
COMRADES, STAND WITH ME AND SING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM OF THE GREAT MOTHERLAND

MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating

Comments

• HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    Should have called it the novichok GP :trollface:

So uh where has the pace of the Ferrari gone? Huge gap and would have been even bigger if Hamilton didn't bin it. Either that or Mercedes have found something extra.
  • JiggyJiggy Member Petrol Head
    They found out Kvyat is coming back to Formula One and has spent all time and resources into an anti-torpedo defense system.
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    Hughesy said:
    So uh where has the pace of the Ferrari gone? Huge gap and would have been even bigger if Hamilton didn't bin it. Either that or Mercedes have found something extra.
    Not looking good for the rest of the season if Mercedes have found this more extra pace, i doubt the new wings will make a difference next year and wonder if many people will be around watching when the new engine rules comes into effect.

Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

It's annoying, I obviously want Hamilton to win, but I was looking forward to a nail biting finish going right down to the final race. When Hamilton won his first WC that was the most exciting race and tense race ever.
    I remember him getting that overtake done, I had a beer in my hand and ended up throwing it all over the carpet, it was a new carpet as well :joy:
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Race Engineer
    Said it after Germany, Bottas is spineless and has no ambition. 
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

• Matthew77258Matthew77258 Member Race Steward
    WHAT A QUALITY COMPETITIVE SPORT FORMULA 1 IS
    Twitter | Member since 2011 

edited September 30
    It's a team sport. The rules allow it, even when it wasn't teams found "creative" ways to do it. It's never a good thing, but it's the correct thing to do. If Hamilton ends up getting DNF's and it comes down to a few points, if they didn't so it they would have been torn a new one.

They work  for a team, but Bottas knows he's lucky to have that seat, so if he rocks the boat he would be thrown overboard.

• couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    And that is what will kill the sport, Bottas deserved that on, the crowd was very quiet and even Hamilton took his time to get out of the car to shake hands with Bottas.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• JiggyJiggy Member Petrol Head
    Hughesy said:
    It's a team sport. The rules allow it, even when it wasn't teams found "creative" ways to do it. It's never a good thing, but it's the correct thing to do. If Hamilton ends up getting DNF's and it comes down to a few points, if they didn't so it they would have been torn a new one.

They work  for a team, but Bottas knows he's lucky to have that seat, so if he rocks the boat he would be thrown overboard.

Basically in full agreement with that tweet. Why would Mercedes have Bottas win the race with Hamilton in 2nd and Vettel in 3rd when they can swap both drivers and have Hamilton win 7 extra points? It makes perfect sense and nobody really should complain about it. Anything else would be sabotaging your own team. I don't like how Bottas is acting angry about it, he's not stupid, surely he's aware of the situation he's in. I think it's more of an act than that he's actually upset over it. And if he's actually upset, then don't be 7000 points behind your teammate is fighting over the WDC against a 4-time World Champion from a different team. Then overtake Verstappen and break away from the pack.
    And that is what will kill the sport, Bottas deserved that on, the crowd was very quiet and even Hamilton took his time to get out of the car to shake hands with Bottas.
    Did it kill the sport when years ago if a driver who was fighting for the championship had a problem and then the team mate would give him their car. Or when Ferrari did it in the Schumacher or Alonso years? No it didn't. People are being overly dramatic about this, it also happens in other motorsport categories.
    Was definitely one of the better Russian Grand Prix anyway, shame that Max's late pitstop ended up being anti-climactic. The decision by Mercedes was an obvious one but its a shame, Hamilton probably didn't feel great about the whole thing so I don't think anyone is too happy at Mercedes right now aside from Wolff and the other higher-ups.

But the championship looks dead and buried now, the only chance Ferrari had was if they had the best car and Hamilton had a failure and now that it looks firmly second best, I think its safe to say its finished. Hamilton could sit out the next two races and he'd still win, but its fair to say he and Mercedes deserve it. Hopefully Leclerc can help spice things up next time around.

• LukedfrtLukedfrt Member Petrol Head
    I totally get the team orders, best thing to do and i can't knock Mercedes for it.. But Bottas, what a waste of a seat, that is what the sport needs to change.. Alonso should be in that Mercedes.
    BCFC - KEEP RIGHT ON!!! 
    The best ever - Alonso #14
  • GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Champion
    edited October 1
    Lukedfrt said:
    I totally get the team orders, best thing to do and i can't knock Mercedes for it.. But Bottas, what a waste of a seat, that is what the sport needs to change.. Alonso should be in that Mercedes.
    Have to agree with you there, I'd love to see that. Lewis is most probably going to win his 5th WDC this year in a car that has been more or less equal to its rival, maybe even slightly inferior overall. That's a great achievement and it will further boost his status as an all time great. However, from next season onwards the prospect of him having to go into round 3 against Valtteri Bottas who is simply not on his level is nothing I am looking forward to. Plus, I'm getting tired of Lewis driving a Mercedes. They have achieved everything you can achieve together, it's time for a last new challenge before the end of his career but sadly I don't see that happening. Maybe a final stint at Ferrari in 2 years time, but even that seems unrealistic.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    Yep, totally agree with Luke. I don't particularly like the team orders, but Mercedes would've been stupid if they didn't do the swap, it makes total sense.

I know it's the popular thing to jump on the Leclerc bandwagon at the moment, but what a great pass on Magnussen on Lap 2. That really was a race defining move, and it got him that 7th place. Great job.

Vettel's defence on Hamilton... he definitely made two 'jolts' to the right, but I agree with the stewards on that one, it would've been rubbish if he got a penalty. Hard but just about fair from Vettel I think.

Crazy to think that despite Mercedes and Ferrari having such dominant cars, Bottas and Raikkonen still haven't got a win yet. Really does show the calibre of Hamilton and Vettel.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
    MBKF1 said:
    Yep, totally agree with Luke. I don't particularly like the team orders, but Mercedes would've been stupid if they didn't do the swap, it makes total sense.

I know it's the popular thing to jump on the Leclerc bandwagon at the moment, but what a great pass on Magnussen on Lap 2. That really was a race defining move, and it got him that 7th place. Great job.

Vettel's defence on Hamilton... he definitely made two 'jolts' to the right, but I agree with the stewards on that one, it would've been rubbish if he got a penalty. Hard but just about fair from Vettel I think.

Crazy to think that despite Mercedes and Ferrari having such dominant cars, Bottas and Raikkonen still haven't got a win yet. Really does show the calibre of Hamilton and Vettel.
    Shows how poor Kimi has been out of those 4. At least Bottas cab argue he deserves a couple of wins, Raikkonen cannot say the same. Yet again he was in no man's land all race, meanwhile Seb was clinging onto the Mercedes for dear life.

• LukedfrtLukedfrt Member Petrol Head
    At least we get to see Leclerc take the fight to Vettel next season, i love Kimi.. But like Bottas, he's wasting the seat.
    BCFC - KEEP RIGHT ON!!! 
    The best ever - Alonso #14
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    AMS97KRR said:
    Raikkonen cannot say the same. Yet again he was in no man's land all race, meanwhile Seb was clinging onto the Mercedes for dear life.
    Well I mean he was only couple of seconds from Seb before the pits, but he stayed out to lose like over 10 seconds. I guess they were hoping for SC or something.
    UP100 said:
    AMS97KRR said:
    Raikkonen cannot say the same. Yet again he was in no man's land all race, meanwhile Seb was clinging onto the Mercedes for dear life.
    Well I mean he was only couple of seconds from Seb before the pits, but he stayed out to lose like over 10 seconds. I guess they were hoping for SC or something.
    It was 3 seconds from Vettel but yeah, Vettel was only 1.5 behind the Mercs So Raikkonen was almost nowhere in terms of strategy helping him out or something like that. As we saw, Vettel was close enough such that the undercut could get him to jump Lewis. Not that it ended up mattering.