Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

How big is the ownership of VR Headsets in this community?

I am aware this topic has been discussed a lot lately. But there is a lot of guestimation going on regarding numbers. We see numbers thrown around like only 1% of potential buyers are VR Headset owners.

How many of you actually own a VR Headset? (doesnt matter which one, psvr, rift, vive, wmr...)

this is a specific poll for this forum. a similar one on reddit (in the r/dirtgame subreddit) showed that there are quite a lot of owners of VR Headset around (38%). But i would actually like to know how it is around here.  I expect it to be lower then on reddit, but i feel like the 1% number thrown around here lately is way off.

How big is the ownership of VR Headsets in this community? 87 votes

Yes, I already own a VR Headset!
45%
TURBODEVIN19TomCooperCMBennizSkiddyMcCrashyoyoMLGinginhogloomJamesUptonMTOJayJepserttichillisteakMadhun1967BigsurMTBDougQuiaceStevie777juu1iusSkyRexkellemanneXerfit 40 votes
No, but I intend to buy one in the near future. (6-12months)
4%
fitbritDytutPearlocjr3559 4 votes
No, I dont own a VR Headset and dont intend to buy one in the near future.
49%
tbtsttVirtuaIceManRallyDrivenEvilsmurfcouger1981likewiseTheEqualTesterKingOfCoinswarpengageDidzisgtmissionDarthSillacAreyoubenSamRWDtoninusboganicjl9CrazyNevadaMontagohappyboy1974 43 votes

Comments

• TURBODEVIN19TURBODEVIN19 Member Race Engineer
    Bought it purely for DiRT Rally back in the day, and used it nearly exclusively for that, was really disappointed when no other Codemasters were getting VR support, but I hope they will change their minds and implement it for DiRT Rally 2.0. I wouldn't mind paying extra for it, I mean investing in the tech was expensive enough, I'd rather be able to use it then having it laying around collecting dust.

Steam
    : turbodevin | GFWL: TURBODEVIN19 | Twitter: turbodevin

DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally VR | DiRT 4 | DTM Race Driver 3 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport LBE | F1 2013 CE | Toybox Turbos

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition
  • fitbritfitbrit Member New Car Smell
    I would buy a VR set if DR2 supported it. I couldn't justify it only for DR, but I was waiting for another "killer" driving game before investing.
  • edgenzedgenz Member Petrol Head
    Wheres the used to own but sold it option? 😆

Dirt Rally Liveries: <60s - 80s> <Group A - F2 Kit - R4> <2000 - 2010>
  • DytutDytut Member Champion
    I chose "no, but intend to buy", but a better option for me would be "No, but I might buy one if enough games that support it get released".
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

Also, these kind of polls are skewed, so you can't really trust the result more than as a very vague pointer. VR invested members will flock in and vote, while those that don't care at all simply won't. So any statement about percentages of a community having one will simply not be true. What you can use them for is to count numbers that has or will get a headset, those you can rely on.

• MTOJayMTOJay Member Unleaded
    edited October 2
    edgenz said:
    Wheres the used to own but sold it option? 😆

"No, I dont own a VR Headset and dont intend to buy one in the near future."

it doesnt matter if you owned one already and sold it. you dont own one at the moment (and probably dont intend to buy again in the near future) so you are clearly not a potential buyer for the vr support.

Dytut said:
    Also, these kind of polls are skewed, so you can't really trust the result more than as a very vague pointer. VR invested members will flock in and vote, while those that don't care at all simply won't. So any statement about percentages of a community having one will simply not be true. What you can use them for is to count numbers that has or will get a headset, those you can rely on.

so what you are saying is there is no chance to even achieve what codemasters said. as soon as someone tries to generate numbers with a poll the poll is skewed. and if countless people try to convince that vr is needed its just the vocal minority. so at the end of the day we simply have no chance of getting vr support because either we are silent which would be interpreted as "there is no demand", or we are vocal but that gets ignored because the polls are skewed and its a vocal minortiy which also gets interpreted as "there is no demand" ....

merry **** christmas. that sounds really fair for all the vr simracers out there :-)

• EvilsmurfEvilsmurf Member Team Principal
    I've tried VR, and I like the idea of it. Unfortunately I'm in one of those who wants to throw my lunch up after 2 minutes of use...  

Twitch: twitch.tv/evilsmurf76

Twitter: Evilsmurf76

Steam: Evilsmurf

PSN: evilsmurf1976

• boganibogani Member Champion
    Bought one, thought some things were pretty cool but the resolution is just not good enough yet. Dirt Rally truly looked like a PS2 game. 

Sold it. 
  • SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Member Champion
    I own a day 1 Rift and mainly use it for racing sims, yes the graphical quality is a drop but the added feeling of immersion I get makes up for it but I can see why it puts people off.

Now that VR is a properly established industry, I can see it getting to a point where the graphical quality won't be an issue due to higher res screens and better graphics cards.
    bogani said:
    Bought one, thought some things were pretty cool but the resolution is just not good enough yet. Dirt Rally truly looked like a PS2 game. 

Sold it. 
    resolution is not good enough for you. i can understand that. its a completely fair statement to say. but only for yourself. many people dont feel the same.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    MTOJay said:
    bogani said:

Sold it. 
    resolution is not good enough for you. i can understand that. its a completely fair statement to say. but only for yourself. many people dont feel the same.
    Sure, that is my opinion, I can't decide for anyone else. 
    Dytut said:
    I chose "no, but intend to buy", but a better option for me would be "No, but I might buy one if enough games that support it get released".
    fair enough. chicken and egg problem. i think there are some people like that. developers dont want to implement due to few users, users dont want to buy without games that support it.

with that said, i think this is only a problem if you are mostly into the more arcade type of racing games. most of these offer no support. if you are in to simracing titles most major ones support it already.

iracing, rf2, r3e, pcars1, pcars2, dirt rally, ac, acc (next update).

if you are from germany near frankfurt and would like to give it a go you are more then welcome to give vr a go in my rig.
  • chillisteakchillisteak Member Unleaded
    This poll still won't provide you with accurate numbers.
    As only a certain amount of users will participate, others will have come and have said their piece only to have left the forum never to be seen again.

Processor: AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 | Videocard: AMD HD 7950 | Gamepad: Logitech G25 + Clubsport V2 |
    Network Card: Asus PCE-N15 Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX | Sound Card/Headphones: Razer Kraken 7.1 | Monitor/s: Asus VN247H 24" Super Narrow Bezel
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 16GB DDR3 | PSU: OCW 650W | Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech G510 + Madcatz R.A.T 3 | OS: Windows 7 x64
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Race Engineer
    edited October 2
    As only a certain amount of users will participate, others will have come and have said their piece only to have left the forum never to be seen again.

You didn't seem to be so concerned with the other poll. Also it is amazing how many new accounts appear to spread vrornobuy meme.
    VR crowd is a fracture of community. I remind everyone- it is VR, or core features/ additional content (cars/ tracks). SO, REMEMBER IF IN THE FUTURE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GAME, THAT FEATURE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT MIGHT HAVE NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE IF IT WASN'T FOR A VR.

Must see: https://youtu.be/YLHeJsUNB3A?t=8m42s
    SamRWD said:

You didn't seem to be so concerned with the other poll. Also it is amazing how many new accounts appear to spread vrornobuy meme.
    VR crowd is a fracture of community. I remind everyone- it is VR, or core features/ additional content (cars/ tracks). SO, REMEMBER IF IN THE FUTURE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GAME, THAT FEATURE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT MIGHT HAVE NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE IF IT WASN'T FOR A VR.

for days you are spreading the "fracture" yet every poll every little info and numbers we actually gather on the internet tells a different story. you didnt support your claims of low vr usage in the simracing community with one little piece of evidence. only thing we see you mention is 1% of this and 99% of users will suffer from vr and yadayadayada.

please point us to one piece of evidence that at least suggest taht your sofar made up numbers actually hold some truth to them. every single poll so far paints a different story. i would actually like to see evidence provided by you. or dont you have any?
    edited October 2
    MTOJay said:
    for days you are spreading the "fracture" yet every poll every little info and numbers we actually gather on the internet tells a different story. you didnt support your claims of low vr usage in the simracing community with one little piece of evidence. only

Show me a single poll showing that VR usage among rally sim enthusiasts is significant. Or any data showing that VR usage among Dirt series players is anything more than a fracture of total numbers- because looking at this board it looks like it is just a 1% of loud minority that cannot even comprehend a basic mathematics. There is like 20 people, that's it. Many of which were not even here, but magically appeared to push a VR meme.

If VR numbers would be anything more than a niche, then we would get VR support announced. Apparently VR usage among DR players was so low, that it didn't make sense for CM to continue that support in DR2.0. 
    " thing we see you mention is 1% of this and 99% of users will suffer from vr and yadayadayada."
    Yes, it is the case of few VR users crying to get VR, and that makes 100% of us who don't use VR miss on content or features development.

SO, REMEMBER IF IN THE FUTURE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GAME, THAT FEATURE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT MIGHT HAVE NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE IF IT WASN'T FOR A VR.

MTOJay said:
    Dytut said:

so what you are saying is there is no chance to even achieve what codemasters said. as soon as someone tries to generate numbers with a poll the poll is skewed. and if countless people try to convince that vr is needed its just the vocal minority. so at the end of the day we simply have no chance of getting vr support because either we are silent which would be interpreted as "there is no demand", or we are vocal but that gets ignored because the polls are skewed and its a vocal minortiy which also gets interpreted as "there is no demand" ....

merry **** christmas. that sounds really fair for all the vr simracers out there :-)

Ehm... no, now you're putting words in my mouth. I just said that saying "42% of the community owns VR" based on the (current) 42% of answers from this poll being 42%. Like what you said in the starting post
    "[Reddit poll] showed that there are quite a lot of owners of VR Headset around (38%)", which implied that we're to believe that 38% of the dirtgame reddit has a VR headset, which I _strongly_ think are quite skewed numbers. If you don't take into account that this poll will draw in *everyone* who owns a VR headset and visits the forum, but a scant few of those that don't care about VR headsets noone will take you seriously. 

It would be the same if I set up a poll asking "Do you use Fanatec handbrakes?". There would be a *large* overrepresentation of fanatec handbrake users answering the poll, so trying to draw any conclusions from the percentage for the community as a whole would be pointless. What it would give me is some proof that there are at least 50 members of the forum who has one, which might (or might not, depending on numbers) prove my point that it needs to be officially supported.

If you'd want somewhat more reliable data, then we'd need somewhat of a cencus with randomly chosen forum members, which would give us reasonably reliable data. Otherwise your best bet of making a showing for VR is the petition, where you actually have about 1200 signed up now. It's not an avalanche, but it might be nearing enough users to maybe make it financially viable to prioritize VR support. The 18 people on the forums that have said that they own a VR set right now won't really raise any eyebrows.

I really want VR support, but trying to infer ownage statistics from polls like these are not a good way to go about it.

Dytut 
    You're right. It is more about numbers, than percentage. 
    And those numbers are silly. It is a fracture of a total.